Old 10-11-2013, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mushrooms

My ground was grazed by horses for at least 30 years before I bought it,
but I've never seen a single mushroom on it.
I've started buying mushrooms that have the full stalk and have compost
and mycelium on the base, so I am cutting this off and lifting a bit of
turf and putting them under.
My question is.
How deep should I plant the stems an inch below the surface or deeper?
David @ a bright, sunny side of Swansea Bay.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
My ground was grazed by horses for at least 30 years before I bought
it, but I've never seen a single mushroom on it.
I've started buying mushrooms that have the full stalk and have
compost and mycelium on the base, so I am cutting this off and
lifting a bit of turf and putting them under.
My question is.
How deep should I plant the stems an inch below the surface or deeper?
David @ a bright, sunny side of Swansea Bay.

And there's me trying to rid the lawn of the bloody things!

Old 10-11-2013, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/2013 16:32, Let It Be wrote:
David Hill wrote:
My ground was grazed by horses for at least 30 years before I bought
it, but I've never seen a single mushroom on it.
I've started buying mushrooms that have the full stalk and have
compost and mycelium on the base, so I am cutting this off and
lifting a bit of turf and putting them under.
My question is.
How deep should I plant the stems an inch below the surface or deeper?
David @ a bright, sunny side of Swansea Bay.

And there's me trying to rid the lawn of the bloody things!

Your comment reminds me of when I was a youngster in Hastings, the
council in their wisdom top dressed The Pilot Field which was Hastings
Uniteds pitch with spent mushroom compost, turned out not as spent as
they thought,
David
Old 10-11-2013, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
My ground was grazed by horses for at least 30 years before I bought
it, but I've never seen a single mushroom on it.
I've started buying mushrooms that have the full stalk and have
compost and mycelium on the base, so I am cutting this off and
lifting a bit of turf and putting them under.
My question is.
How deep should I plant the stems an inch below the surface or deeper?
David @ a bright, sunny side of Swansea Bay.

And there's me trying to rid the lawn of the bloody things!

Your comment reminds me of when I was a youngster in Hastings, the council
in their wisdom top dressed The Pilot Field which was Hastings Uniteds
pitch with spent mushroom compost, turned out not as spent as they
thought,

lol I did that a few years ago but on a much smaller scale We had a
mushroom farm fairly near which sold compost. I bought a few sack for my
garden and lo and behold ... a good crop of mushroom which were well
appreciated

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 10-11-2013, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/13 10:09, David Hill wrote:

My ground was grazed by horses for at least 30 years before I bought it,
but I've never seen a single mushroom on it.
I've started buying mushrooms that have the full stalk and have compost
and mycelium on the base, so I am cutting this off and lifting a bit of
turf and putting them under.
My question is.
How deep should I plant the stems an inch below the surface or deeper?

Less - just beneath the surface.

But - don't be too surprised if nothing happens. Mushrooms will only
grow where they are 'happy'. Most (if not all) of the Agaricus genus
prefers a slightly alkaline soil, with plenty of organic content.

Where abouts are you?

--
Rusty Hinge

Old 10-11-2013, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/13 16:32, Let It Be wrote:

And there's me trying to rid the lawn of the bloody things!

Photos?

Many species (waxcaps, fairy ring champignon etc) are very good to eat.
When they raise their pretty heads, get your own back that way.

http://www.girolle.co.uk/recipes/

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/2013 18:05, RustyHinge wrote:
On 10/11/13 10:09, David Hill wrote:

My ground was grazed by horses for at least 30 years before I bought it,
but I've never seen a single mushroom on it.
I've started buying mushrooms that have the full stalk and have compost
and mycelium on the base, so I am cutting this off and lifting a bit of
turf and putting them under.
My question is.
How deep should I plant the stems an inch below the surface or deeper?

Less - just beneath the surface.

But - don't be too surprised if nothing happens. Mushrooms will only
grow where they are 'happy'. Most (if not all) of the Agaricus genus
prefers a slightly alkaline soil, with plenty of organic content.

Where abouts are you?

S.Wales. Swansea area.
I don't know how frost hardy mycelium is, and how deep it penetrates.
I know that with Mushroom farming they start with composted horse manure
and add casing of peat with chalk/limestone as the final dressing, so
the mycelium must grow through the Acid compost at first.
David
Old 11-11-2013, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-11 11:04:33 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

David Hill wrote:
My ground was grazed by horses for at least 30 years before I bought
it, but I've never seen a single mushroom on it.
I've started buying mushrooms that have the full stalk and have
compost and mycelium on the base, so I am cutting this off and
lifting a bit of turf and putting them under.
My question is.
How deep should I plant the stems an inch below the surface or deeper?
David @ a bright, sunny side of Swansea Bay.

And there's me trying to rid the lawn of the bloody things!

Your comment reminds me of when I was a youngster in Hastings, the
council in their wisdom top dressed The Pilot Field which was Hastings
Uniteds pitch with spent mushroom compost, turned out not as spent as
they thought,
David

Years ago I saw a large rhododendron bed at a NT property that had
obviously been heavily manured with mushroom compost and was sprouting
a good crop of mushrooms. I was very surprised to see it, because
mushroom compost is usually heavily dressed with chalk to make it
alkaline. Perhaps the compost was lime-free in this case. How the
rhodies fared, long-term, I don't know.

In the past I and others I knew used spent mushroom compost on
Camellias or as a general weed-suppressing mulch. But they key was in
the word 'spent'. I don't recall getting more than the very occasional
mushroom sprouting!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-11-2013, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

Years ago I saw a large rhododendron bed at a NT property that had
obviously been heavily manured with mushroom compost and was sprouting
a good crop of mushrooms. I was very surprised to see it, because
mushroom compost is usually heavily dressed with chalk to make it
alkaline. Perhaps the compost was lime-free in this case. How the
rhodies fared, long-term, I don't know.

There are relatively few true calcifuges and, as far as I know,
most rhododendrons are not among them. What they can't tolerate
is the very low availability of (I think) iron in limestone and
chalk soils. Adding a bit of chalk to other soils won't affect
them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-11-2013, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/13 17:43, David Hill wrote:

Your comment reminds me of when I was a youngster in Hastings, the
council in their wisdom top dressed The Pilot Field which was Hastings
Uniteds pitch with spent mushroom compost, turned out not as spent as
they thought,

For years I had a favourite heap of compost from which I used to glean
as many mushrooms as I wanted.

Unfortunately, the mushroom farm closed.

Perhaps I should have bought some...

--
Rusty Hinge

Old 15-11-2013, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
[...]

Even compost which is not chalked should be more alkaline than neutral
for Agaricus bisporus.

One good compost BTW is spruce litter mixed with chalk.

And of course, there *are* alkali tolerant rhododendrons, but I suspect
the gardener...

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 15-11-2013, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/13 20:38, David Hill wrote:
[...]

I expect that the mycelium of most fungi are very frost-tolerant. Last
winter we had -19° C here in East Anglia, but this autumn/winter I've
picked more bluelegs than I have done for several years.

There are only two species which are notable by their absence locally
this year: Rhodocybe gemina and Helvella crispa.

I would scrape the obvious mycelium from the stipes of your mushrooms
and inoculate around an inch below the surface. The stipes *might* rot
to the detriment of the attached mycelium. I *have* started several
clones of Macrolepiota rhacodes just by leaving the stipes in
likely-looking spots, though.

--
Rusty Hinge