Old 12-11-2013, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kale varieties

Cavallero Nero (a.k.a. Italian black kale) is very good, but I
am underimpressed with Fizz. Not merely does it taste coarse,
most of it has started to produce flowering heads. If we get
another month of mild weather, I will get some early broccoli
from it, otherwise it will be a write-off.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Cavallero Nero (a.k.a. Italian black kale) is very good, but I
am underimpressed with Fizz. Not merely does it taste coarse,
most of it has started to produce flowering heads. If we get
another month of mild weather, I will get some early broccoli
from it, otherwise it will be a write-off.

We grew some white sprouting broccoli, grew is the operative word, it has
grown to a silly height and now it's snapping off branches easily and
falling over yet not a sign of anything sprouting.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Cavallero Nero (a.k.a. Italian black kale) is very good, but I
am underimpressed with Fizz. Not merely does it taste coarse,
most of it has started to produce flowering heads. If we get
another month of mild weather, I will get some early broccoli
from it, otherwise it will be a write-off.

We grew some white sprouting broccoli, grew is the operative word, it has
grown to a silly height and now it's snapping off branches easily and
falling over yet not a sign of anything sprouting.

Some of my purple broccoli has grown to 4', which is tall but not
yet silly, but I grow it for spring sprouting. However, I have had
to stake quite a few of the plants - often the shorter ones!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-11-2013, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-11 23:37:39 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Cavallero Nero (a.k.a. Italian black kale) is very good, but I
am underimpressed with Fizz. Not merely does it taste coarse,
most of it has started to produce flowering heads. If we get
another month of mild weather, I will get some early broccoli
from it, otherwise it will be a write-off.

We grew some white sprouting broccoli, grew is the operative word, it
has grown to a silly height and now it's snapping off branches easily
and falling over yet not a sign of anything sprouting.

I must admit, I see no point in kale if you have Savoy cabbage. One of
the team here showed us how she makes an 'amazing juice' with loads of
kale, celery and carrots. I took one sip and thought I'd swallowed
pond water. Vile!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-11-2013, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2013-11-11 23:37:39 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

Cavallero Nero (a.k.a. Italian black kale) is very good, but I
am underimpressed with Fizz. Not merely does it taste coarse,
most of it has started to produce flowering heads. If we get
another month of mild weather, I will get some early broccoli
from it, otherwise it will be a write-off.

We grew some white sprouting broccoli, grew is the operative word, it
has grown to a silly height and now it's snapping off branches easily
and falling over yet not a sign of anything sprouting.

I must admit, I see no point in kale if you have Savoy cabbage. One of
the team here showed us how she makes an 'amazing juice' with loads of
kale, celery and carrots. I took one sip and thought I'd swallowed
pond water. Vile!

I have heard of that recipe - love it or loathe it, in a ratio of
1 to 99 - I may try it sometime, on the grounds that it is neither
incest nor folk dancing, but am expecting to be in the majority :-)

But I do recommend that you try Cavallero Nero - the pretentious
eating houses that serve it do have a point, because it is actually
very good.Savoy cabbage is OK, but it I find it rather unexciting.
Typical UK kales are best fed to cattle, I agree - I had hoped that
Fizz was better, but it isn't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 13-11-2013, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-11 23:37:39 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Cavallero Nero (a.k.a. Italian black kale) is very good, but I
am underimpressed with Fizz. Not merely does it taste coarse,
most of it has started to produce flowering heads. If we get
another month of mild weather, I will get some early broccoli
from it, otherwise it will be a write-off.

We grew some white sprouting broccoli, grew is the operative word, it
has grown to a silly height and now it's snapping off branches easily
and falling over yet not a sign of anything sprouting.

I must admit, I see no point in kale if you have Savoy cabbage. One of
the team here showed us how she makes an 'amazing juice' with loads of
kale, celery and carrots. I took one sip and thought I'd swallowed pond
water. Vile!

Isn't that one of the concoctions that "Puts hair on your chest"?

Who would want to eat Savoy cabbage?
The best winter cabbage for taste is January King.
David
Old 13-11-2013, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

I must admit, I see no point in kale if you have Savoy cabbage. One of
the team here showed us how she makes an 'amazing juice' with loads of
kale, celery and carrots. I took one sip and thought I'd swallowed pond
water. Vile!

Isn't that one of the concoctions that "Puts hair on your chest"?

Yes, but apparently it is believe not to if you are female :-)

Who would want to eat Savoy cabbage?
The best winter cabbage for taste is January King.

January King IS a savoy cabbage!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-11-2013, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/11/2013 19:06, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:

I must admit, I see no point in kale if you have Savoy cabbage. One of
the team here showed us how she makes an 'amazing juice' with loads of
kale, celery and carrots. I took one sip and thought I'd swallowed pond
water. Vile!

Isn't that one of the concoctions that "Puts hair on your chest"?

Yes, but apparently it is believe not to if you are female :-)

Who would want to eat Savoy cabbage?
The best winter cabbage for taste is January King.

January King IS a savoy cabbage!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You're right, it is NOW classed as savoy but in the old days it wasn't.
Savoy was that crinkly leafed thing
Old 13-11-2013, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Cavallero Nero (a.k.a. Italian black kale)

Is this perhaps what I've seen as "Tuscan" or "Dinosaur" kale; long fleshy
leaves with a pebbly (think the ice surface used for curling) surface?
If so, I love it, and it produces a lot more to eat after cooking.

That sounds like it!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 13-11-2013, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Cavallero Nero (a.k.a. Italian black kale)

Is this perhaps what I've seen as "Tuscan" or "Dinosaur" kale; long fleshy
leaves with a pebbly (think the ice surface used for curling) surface?
If so, I love it, and it produces a lot more to eat after cooking.

That sounds like it!

Definitely. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacinato_kale

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-11-2013, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
sacha wrote:
On 2013-11-11 23:37:39 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

[...]

I grew some Cavallero Nero last year and was very pleased with it. A
very useful winter vegetable in a garden that I'm away from a lot of the
time.

David

Old 14-11-2013, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/11/2013 23:01, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Cavallero Nero (a.k.a. Italian black kale) is very good, but I
am underimpressed with Fizz.

My Black Kale is going well and has been providing us with pickings for
months.

My favorite is the Russian Red Kale which is rather more delicately
flavoured. It is suitable for picking as young leaves for salad too.

Old 14-11-2013, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
sacha wrote:
On 2013-11-11 23:37:39 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

[...]

I don't think I've had Cavallero Nero, so if it shows up on a menu,
I'll give it a try, just to see if I get anything from the experience!
I'll be interested in your views on the juice if you ever try it. The
maker gulped it down with great enjoyment and does so every single day.
The rest of us (four) were unanimous in thinking her quite mad!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-11-2013, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-11 23:37:39 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

[...]

I *like* Savoy cabbage. Beau Brummel would have disowned me! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Best varieties of kale and best Romaine for cold northern climates in Autumn? Bill Litchfield Gardening 1 09-01-2005 11:26 AM
In praise of Jersey Kale Steve Harris United Kingdom 14 13-01-2004 03:35 PM
Sea Kale? Steve Harris United Kingdom 21 28-12-2003 06:43 PM
Transplanting Jersey Kale? Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 17-04-2003 10:20 PM
curly kale: recepies ne1? Derek Turner United Kingdom 6 12-12-2002 11:44 PM