Old 12-11-2013, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chelsea 2014, bye bye Alan T.

Monty Don set to replace Alan next year.

http://bit.ly/17lAiHK

Guess he'll have to go and buy himself some decent clothes now

Jeff
NE England

---

Old 12-11-2013, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff" wrote

Monty Don set to replace Alan next year.

http://bit.ly/17lAiHK

Guess he'll have to go and buy himself some decent clothes now

They've cut Mr T and left Christine Walkden in? Beggars belief. Sophie
Raworth will bring a reporters eye to the show and, as you say, Monty will
have to smarten up. Can't be shabby at Chelsea.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/11/2013 16:01, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Jeff" wrote

Monty Don set to replace Alan next year.

http://bit.ly/17lAiHK

Guess he'll have to go and buy himself some decent clothes now

They've cut Mr T and left Christine Walkden in? Beggars belief. Sophie
Raworth will bring a reporters eye to the show and, as you say, Monty
will have to smarten up. Can't be shabby at Chelsea.

Why do people always assume that a person has been dropped?
After 30 years could it be He wants a break?
Old 12-11-2013, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/11/2013 16:24, David Hill wrote:
On 12/11/2013 16:01, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Jeff" wrote

Monty Don set to replace Alan next year.

http://bit.ly/17lAiHK

Why do people always assume that a person has been dropped?
After 30 years could it be He wants a break?

Indeed.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24913433:
"The way the Chelsea coverage will be presented across the BBC has
changed for 2014, and Alan decided to step away from next year's show,"
said a BBC spokeswoman.

Of course, one never knows the part that an equivalent to "constructive
dismissal" might play... :-)

--

Jeff
Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"Jeff" wrote

Monty Don set to replace Alan next year.

http://bit.ly/17lAiHK

Guess he'll have to go and buy himself some decent clothes now

They've cut Mr T and left Christine Walkden in? Beggars belief.

Good!

I watch Chelsea on TV for the plants and gardens; as does everyone who
didn't attend in person.
I find AT's unctuous "keep the camera on ME cracking feeble jokes with
my stooge" style of presenting it insufferably intrusive.

Sophie
Raworth will bring a reporters eye to the show and, as you say, Monty will
have to smarten up. Can't be shabby at Chelsea.

I'd sooner see MD in a worn linen suit any day, than AT decked out in
another godawful home-counties-meets-the-yacht-club stripey
shirt/blazer/ tailored suit ensemble.

And nobody will ever NOTICE what Christine Walkden is wearing, let
alone care, because she never hogs the camera or intrudes between the
viewer and gardens.

Janet.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote

BobH says...

"Jeff" wrote

Monty Don set to replace Alan next year.

http://bit.ly/17lAiHK

Guess he'll have to go and buy himself some decent clothes now

They've cut Mr T and left Christine Walkden in? Beggars belief.

Good!

I watch Chelsea on TV for the plants and gardens; as does everyone who
didn't attend in person.
I find AT's unctuous "keep the camera on ME cracking feeble jokes with
my stooge" style of presenting it insufferably intrusive.

I find Christine Walden appalling as a presenter and virtually in every
other way, I simply cannot watch her. Mr T is a trained gardener and knows
his stuff, he is also the most senior gardener TV presenter. Chelsea is too
"precious" to be anything other than laughed at. It's also much better on
the TV than in person, you can actually see things IME.

Sophie
Raworth will bring a reporters eye to the show and, as you say, Monty
will
have to smarten up. Can't be shabby at Chelsea.

I'd sooner see MD in a worn linen suit any day, than AT decked out in
another godawful home-counties-meets-the-yacht-club stripey
shirt/blazer/ tailored suit ensemble.

And nobody will ever NOTICE what Christine Walkden is wearing, let
alone care, because she never hogs the camera or intrudes between the
viewer and gardens.

I cannot abide the woman, voice like a rat tailed file. Funny enough I think
she does exactly what you say she does not.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-11-2013, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/11/2013 23:11, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Janet" wrote

BobH says...

"Jeff" wrote

[...]

I think Sophie Rayworth's face has changed recently. Not saying she's
had "work done" exactly but....
Old 13-11-2013, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-12 18:45:24 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 16:55:06 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 12/11/2013 16:24, David Hill wrote:
On 12/11/2013 16:01, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Jeff" wrote

Monty Don set to replace Alan next year.

http://bit.ly/17lAiHK

Why do people always assume that a person has been dropped?
After 30 years could it be He wants a break?

Indeed.

Looks to me as if he's decided that commercial channels offer far
greater earning potential given the public pressure on BBC
expenditure.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24913433:
"The way the Chelsea coverage will be presented across the BBC has
changed for 2014, and Alan decided to step away from next year's show,"
said a BBC spokeswoman.

I dread to think what that means. The coverage is just about
tolerable now but if it becomes more "populist" we'll have people
doing X factor routines in the Clematis displays.

Of course, one never knows the part that an equivalent to "constructive
dismissal" might play... :-)

I appreciate you gave us a smiley above but I think Mr T would really
struggle to demonstrate "constructive dismissal". He's surely a
"freelance" or whatever the term is for "fantastically well paid and
popular celebrity" who turns up on all sorts of programmes?

It's been suggested that his association with Waitrose has made it
difficult for the BBC to go on employing him for Chelsea. Obviously,
Waitrose is the more lucrative contract, I'd think. It's probably a
mutual decision.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-11-2013, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24913433:
[...]

I don't know about that but he is all-over B&Q
Old 13-11-2013, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24913433:
[...]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Show-job.html

I'm very sorry to see him go. He knew what he was talking about, has
real gardening experience and is a clear and concise presenter. Once
the direction dropped all that foolishness between him and Diarmuid
Gavin, things improved immeasurably. It's a shame that the presenters
get blamed for the fact that cameras linger too much on them. I suspect
that because we live in such a celeb culture time, directors who know
little to nothing about gardening, imagine that the 'celeb presenter'
should be the focus far too often. We know differently! But it has to
be remembered, too, that AT has a strong fan base, so the cameras are
going to stay on him a lot.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-11-2013, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-13 11:17:50 +0000, Martin said:

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 23:11:38 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Janet" wrote

I'd sooner see MD in a worn linen suit any day, than AT decked out in
another godawful home-counties-meets-the-yacht-club stripey
shirt/blazer/ tailored suit ensemble.

And nobody will ever NOTICE what Christine Walkden is wearing, let
alone care, because she never hogs the camera or intrudes between the
viewer and gardens.

I cannot abide the woman, voice like a rat tailed file. Funny enough I think
she does exactly what you say she does not.

Monty Don does too.

When they allow Christine to be her sensible, knowledgeable self, she's
an excellent presenter and again, she has a huge fund of knowledge, far
more than many others on tv garden programmes. In addition, she is
also a truly delightful person irl.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Alan J Holmes and Alan Holmes are the same person Mary[_9_] United Kingdom 26 02-09-2007 04:42 PM
Bye bye Jim Webster Broadback United Kingdom 2 07-06-2007 04:21 PM
Bye Bye Irises Jack Gardening 2 29-10-2006 02:58 PM
Bye Bye Roberto United Kingdom 34 30-04-2003 03:23 AM
Bye Bye Hansa (etc.) Shiva Roses 18 20-03-2003 07:56 PM