Old 13-11-2013, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climbing rose id?

I know this is one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions
but I'd really like to id a rose we put up along a post and some rope
several years ago. There are thousands of roses so I know the chances
are slight. The buds are small and yellow at the base, whiter at the
tips, opening to rather blowsy but fairly small white flowers. It
flowers on and on and on.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-11-2013, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/11/2013 17:33, sacha wrote:
I know this is one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions
but I'd really like to id a rose we put up along a post and some rope
several years ago. There are thousands of roses so I know the chances
are slight. The buds are small and yellow at the base, whiter at the
tips, opening to rather blowsy but fairly small white flowers. It
flowers on and on and on.

So where is the Picture of it?
Old 13-11-2013, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/11/2013 17:33, sacha wrote:
I know this is one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions
but I'd really like to id a rose we put up along a post and some rope
several years ago. There are thousands of roses so I know the chances
are slight. The buds are small and yellow at the base, whiter at the
tips, opening to rather blowsy but fairly small white flowers. It
flowers on and on and on.

Rosa banksiae alba?

--

Jeff
Old 13-11-2013, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote

I know this is one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions
but I'd really like to id a rose we put up along a post and some rope
several years ago. There are thousands of roses so I know the chances
are slight. The buds are small and yellow at the base, whiter at the
tips, opening to rather blowsy but fairly small white flowers. It
flowers on and on and on.

Two questions...
Is it a large plant or quite small for a climber?
Do some flowers have a pink petal or two in a pure white flower?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-11-2013, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-13 19:34:02 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

On 13/11/2013 17:33, sacha wrote:
I know this is one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions
but I'd really like to id a rose we put up along a post and some rope
several years ago. There are thousands of roses so I know the chances
are slight. The buds are small and yellow at the base, whiter at the
tips, opening to rather blowsy but fairly small white flowers. It
flowers on and on and on.

Rosa banksiae alba?

No, we have that one on a corner of the house wall. It flowered better
this year than it has for ages, while R.b. lutea and lutescens
performed badly. The R. bracteata also did really well - temepramental
things, plants!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-11-2013, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-13 22:50:19 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

I know this is one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions
but I'd really like to id a rose we put up along a post and some rope
several years ago. There are thousands of roses so I know the chances
are slight. The buds are small and yellow at the base, whiter at the
tips, opening to rather blowsy but fairly small white flowers. It
flowers on and on and on.

Two questions... Is it a large plant or quite small for a climber?
Do some flowers have a pink petal or two in a pure white flower?

No pink, Bob and here, we've gotit to 10' up a pillar but then trained
it along some chain (used to be rope) It's forming arching branches
and could, I think probably go quite a bit taller in the right place.
It flowers generously and I've managed to get a photo today of the last
two very tatty blooms. Of all the hundreds of photos I've got of this
garden, that's probably the one place I hadn't done! Here's the photo
but it's rather more white than it appears
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/10855615315/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-11-2013, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-13 22:50:19 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

[...]

Alberic Barbier? It's a rambler rather than a climber, but it has dark,
glossy green leaves like yours and grows to 5m.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 14-11-2013, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-13 22:50:19 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

[...]

Leaves look wichuriana type so maybe La Perle I am assuming not Alberic
Barier as that is so well known you have probably ruled it out

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 14-11-2013, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-13 22:50:19 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

[...]

Barbier as that is so well known you have probably ruled it out

Old 14-11-2013, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-13 22:50:19 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

[...]

You and Spider are right! Alberic Barbier it is. I've never grown it
anywhere before and Ray is very iffy about roses in the wet SW,
thinking them all too easily attacked by nasties. Thank you both so
much. I'm delighted I've got its name. It won't get a chance to go its
full height because it gets tied in along the anchor chain that
replaced the rope once it rotted and broke. I wouldn't be allowed to
do it but I'd love to develop a rose garden here in the Victorian
manner - out of sight of the house so that in winter, you don't look at
bare sticks for several months.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Climbing rose - White-rose.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 5 12-04-2008 07:30 PM
Kew Rambler (Cass!) Climbing Red Rose? Radika Kesavan Roses 7 20-04-2003 06:46 PM
Climbing Red Rose? tsmay Roses 7 02-04-2003 07:56 PM
Climbing rose Kevin & Karin United Kingdom 10 01-03-2003 04:42 PM
Everblooming Climbing Red Rose Dave Roses 1 25-02-2003 03:04 AM