Old 16-11-2013, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default End of the allotments

"kay" wrote in message ...

Derelict land in Glasgow used as community allotments for the last three
years have been destroyed by owners without warning, so that
allotmenteers were unable to retrieve plants and materials.

'Govanhill's guerrilla gardeners find their waste ground allotments
bulldozed | UK news | theguardian.com' (http://tinyurl.com/kb4erwo)

--
kay

I have watched this thread with great interest.

In England, the rule applies, or at least 'did' apply, that if you claim a
piece of land and use it and it is not challenged within seven years, it's
'yours'. Perhaps the same rule applies North of the Border and the land
owner had to put his mark on the land.

I have reason to believe that that policy was applied to half an acre of
land which was attached to a house I bought which is now built on. Could
that land owner fear the same consequence?

Mike

www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 16-11-2013, 06:08 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Hog[_2_] View Post

Do you not think, that the developer thought that people would just come and take their plants etc. without causing problems are challenging them, they would not have been happy to give 24 hour's notice? Let's face it, they'd waited over 3 years, what difference would another day make?
The 3 years was the length of time the people had been using it as a garden; the site had been derelict for a few years before that. So I don't think there's anything to suggest that the delay in development was anything to do with the garden.
__________________
Old 17-11-2013, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:08:53 PM UTC, kay wrote:
'Road_Hog[_2_ Wrote:

;995299']

Do you not think, that the developer thought that people would just come

and take their plants etc. without causing problems are challenging

them, they would not have been happy to give 24 hour's notice? Let's

face it, they'd waited over 3 years, what difference would another day

make?

The 3 years was the length of time the people had been using it as a

garden; the site had been derelict for a few years before that. So I

don't think there's anything to suggest that the delay in development

was anything to do with the garden.

You completely missed the point. Nowhere did I say that the allotments delayed the development.

The point i made was, that the developer had planning permission, but sat on it for three years, which is not uncommon, to wait until the market picks up. Therefore another 24 hours would have been no problem. If you've waited 3 years then another day is nothing. There was a good reason why they didn't wait another day (to give notice) and that reason is the hassle they would have got.
Old 17-11-2013, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-17 08:39:44 +0000, Road_Hog said:

[...]

Land banking?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-11-2013, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-15 17:28:59 +0000, Janet said:

In article ,
says...

Indeed. The landowners may have followed the letter of the law, but
hardly the spirit of the law.

If you had more clue about Scottish law you might be in a better
position to pass comment.
snip

Instead of reverting to your default position of 'downright bloody rude',
perhaps you could consider explaining things politely. For a change.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

In the light of some guessing, I was pleased to read Janet's concise - not
rude - explanation of the various conditions that apply in ths case.

I don't wish to be taking sides, simply stating what I consider to be a
reasonable response.

Bill

Old 18-11-2013, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"kay" wrote in message ...

In England, the rule applies, or at least 'did' apply, that if you claim

piece of land and use it and it is not challenged within seven years, it's
'yours'. Perhaps the same rule applies North of the Border and the land
owner had to put his mark on the land.

Mike

I live in Wales, and as I understand it you can claim a piece of land if you
have had "undisturbed usage" for a period of 13 years ( I'm open to
correction of course)

Bill

Old 19-11-2013, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"kay" wrote in message ...

In England, the rule applies, or at least 'did' apply, that if you claim

piece of land and use it and it is not challenged within seven years,
it's 'yours'. Perhaps the same rule applies North of the Border and the
land owner had to put his mark on the land.

Mike

I live in Wales, and as I understand it you can claim a piece of land if
you have had "undisturbed usage" for a period of 13 years ( I'm open to
correction of course)

Bill

yes, that's true but if your new neighbour decides to fight against it will
be not easy.
My new neighbours have proved to be more than difficult about sharing a drop
kerb and they did some kind of blackmail stuff about it. Like let us put up
a huge wall, 3 feet in front of your kitchen window.. I said no and got my
car blocked in.
too bad for them, I had to spend a whole lot of money for a drop kerb
(£1400) but the moment one of those cars blocks it, it's either me or the
police.
They'd probably prefer the police, tbh :-) I've lost my niceness with them.
It's sad, we would could have been friends before they tried all sorts of
things, like trying to make me sign away some of my land to them. I think
not! I said I'd run it past my solicitor which scared them off.
I loathe them.

Tweed

Old 19-11-2013, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"kay" wrote in message ...

[...]

Let's hope commonsense prevails, but from what you say it may snow in hell
first.

Bill