Old 15-11-2013, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another crop identification

The experts here identified maize for me recently so I'm confident
someone can tell me what this one is please, despite the photo's poor
quality. Taken at about 4 pm on 1st August while walking Offas Dyke.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nknownCrop.jpg

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old 15-11-2013, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/11/2013 12:21, Terry Pinnell wrote:
The experts here identified maize for me recently so I'm confident
someone can tell me what this one is please, despite the photo's poor
quality. Taken at about 4 pm on 1st August while walking Offas Dyke.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nknownCrop.jpg

My though is that it probably is Millet, don't know if it will give a
seed crop, but it can be grown as a fodder crop or for silage.
David @ an overcast but rain free side of Swansea Bay
Old 15-11-2013, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 15/11/2013 12:21, Terry Pinnell wrote:
The experts here identified maize for me recently so I'm confident
someone can tell me what this one is please, despite the photo's poor
quality. Taken at about 4 pm on 1st August while walking Offas Dyke.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nknownCrop.jpg

My though is that it probably is Millet, don't know if it will give a
seed crop, but it can be grown as a fodder crop or for silage.

It doesn't look like millet to me, but there isn't enough detail
of the plume to be sure. I am pretty sure that it is being grown
for one of those purposes, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-11-2013, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/11/2013 12:21, Terry Pinnell wrote:
The experts here identified maize for me recently so I'm confident
someone can tell me what this one is please, despite the photo's poor
quality. Taken at about 4 pm on 1st August while walking Offas Dyke.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nknownCrop.jpg

This is about as far from my comfort zone as I can get, but I feel sure
I've read about a form of barley whose white flowers turn pink as they
ripen.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 15-11-2013, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/11/2013 13:37, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 15/11/2013 12:21, Terry Pinnell wrote:
The experts here identified maize for me recently so I'm confident
someone can tell me what this one is please, despite the photo's poor
quality. Taken at about 4 pm on 1st August while walking Offas Dyke.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nknownCrop.jpg

My though is that it probably is Millet, don't know if it will give a
seed crop, but it can be grown as a fodder crop or for silage.

It doesn't look like millet to me, but there isn't enough detail
of the plume to be sure. I am pretty sure that it is being grown
for one of those purposes, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

If you look at the RHS of the picture (enlarge if you can) you will see
it is multi headed.

Old 15-11-2013, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

On 15/11/2013 12:21, Terry Pinnell wrote:
The experts here identified maize for me recently so I'm confident
someone can tell me what this one is please, despite the photo's poor
quality. Taken at about 4 pm on 1st August while walking Offas Dyke.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nknownCrop.jpg

This is about as far from my comfort zone as I can get, but I feel sure
I've read about a form of barley whose white flowers turn pink as they
ripen.

Unless a confident conclusion emerges, maybe I'll leave my narrative
for this clip of the planned DVD as it was when I recorded it
(speaking to my wife):
"Don't know what it is, but it's quite pretty."

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old 15-11-2013, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
On 15/11/2013 12:21, Terry Pinnell wrote:
The experts here identified maize for me recently so I'm confident
someone can tell me what this one is please, despite the photo's poor
quality. Taken at about 4 pm on 1st August while walking Offas Dyke.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nknownCrop.jpg

My though is that it probably is Millet, don't know if it will give a
seed crop, but it can be grown as a fodder crop or for silage.

It doesn't look like millet to me, but there isn't enough detail
of the plume to be sure. I am pretty sure that it is being grown
for one of those purposes, though.

There are a lot of different millets. It isn't Panicum miliaceum, but it
might be Echinochloa esculenta or Echinochloa frumentacea. But as you
say there's not enough visible detail for a positive identification.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley