Old 15-11-2013, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Orchid Problem

I have a problem with one of my phalaenopsis orchids.

18 months or more ago I repotted it, because the whole
thing was ustable. Many air roots and leaves lying
almost horizontal. Bought some orchid compost, teaed
out the old compost from the roots, then realised that
the new compost was much more "soil like" than the
original rough bark that is was in. Hey ho, pressed
on, and stupidly, put all the air roots into the pot
so that I had a nice neat upright set of leaves!

Naturally the plant was not happy for some time, but
is now growing quite well, with a new leaf appearing
and roots shooting out of the soil into the fresh air,
and now what looks like a new flower bud starting to
develop.

However, I ve noticed that on the inside of the
(translucent) pot, there is a mass of bright green
mold/moss/lichen/something. It does not seem to be
affecting the plant or on the compost, just the inside
of the pot.

What to do?

Should I just ignore it, put the pot into and enclosed
pot and exclude the light, stop watering for a while,
or ???.

By the way I water about monthly but standing the pot
almost up to its neck in tepid rainwater for ? hr or
so first thing in the morning and then standing it to
drain, before returning it later on in the day to its
home, just below a north facing window in an unheated
bedroom.

Thanks

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---

Old 15-11-2013, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote..

[...]

Yes ignore it, actually, encourage it. The orchid will love the dampness and
humidity retaining qualities of the moss and it is a good indication if you
need to water. I had this happen in a couple of my Phals and they were thee
ones that grew best until I had to repot. Lots of experienced growers use
live sphagnum moss ** in their home made potting mixes. ** as sold for
hanging baskets in the spring. I always put some on the top of my pleione
pans and encourage it to grow, they seem to prefer it that way.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.