Old 18-11-2013, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Onions seeds

Having a relatively large number of onion seeds from my decorative
onions this year, I wondered if anyone had ever tried using them to coat
bread, in the manner of poppy seeds? I confess I no longer bake my own
bread, but enjoy briefly re-baked bread from the freezer. It would be
fairly easy to adhere onions seeds to a loaf or, for those who do bake
their own bread, put the seeds in the loaf. Cheese and onion seed
bread, for instance. It could catch on.

Are the seeds, perhaps, too hard to use in cooking? I've cracked teeth
on hard seeds in bread too often to risk it without the say-so of a
friendly guinea pig ;~).

Hope somebody here has explored the possibility!
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 18-11-2013, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Having a relatively large number of onion seeds from my decorative onions
this year, I wondered if anyone had ever tried using them to coat bread,
in the manner of poppy seeds? I confess I no longer bake my own bread,
but enjoy briefly re-baked bread from the freezer. It would be fairly
easy to adhere onions seeds to a loaf or, for those who do bake their own
bread, put the seeds in the loaf. Cheese and onion seed bread, for
instance. It could catch on.

Are the seeds, perhaps, too hard to use in cooking? I've cracked teeth on
hard seeds in bread too often to risk it without the say-so of a friendly
guinea pig ;~).

Hope somebody here has explored the possibility!

Interesting, where do you get cheese seeds?
--
Pete C
Adventure before dementia

Old 18-11-2013, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/11/2013 12:25, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 12:21:19 -0000, "Pete C"
wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
Having a relatively large number of onion seeds from my decorative onions
this year, I wondered if anyone had ever tried using them to coat bread,
in the manner of poppy seeds? I confess I no longer bake my own bread,
but enjoy briefly re-baked bread from the freezer. It would be fairly
easy to adhere onions seeds to a loaf or, for those who do bake their own
bread, put the seeds in the loaf. Cheese and onion seed bread, for
instance. It could catch on.

Are the seeds, perhaps, too hard to use in cooking? I've cracked teeth on
hard seeds in bread too often to risk it without the say-so of a friendly
guinea pig ;~).

Hope somebody here has explored the possibility!

Interesting, where do you get cheese seeds?

From a cheese plant, of course (Monstera deliciosa, in case you didn't
know)!

I Gruyère plant once, but no cheese from it
Old 18-11-2013, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/11/2013 12:21, Pete C wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message
Having a relatively large number of onion seeds from my decorative onions
this year, I wondered if anyone had ever tried using them to coat bread,
in the manner of poppy seeds? I confess I no longer bake my own bread,
but enjoy briefly re-baked bread from the freezer. It would be fairly
easy to adhere onions seeds to a loaf or, for those who do bake their own
bread, put the seeds in the loaf. Cheese and onion seed bread, for
instance. It could catch on.

Are the seeds, perhaps, too hard to use in cooking? I've cracked teeth on
hard seeds in bread too often to risk it without the say-so of a friendly
guinea pig ;~).

Hope somebody here has explored the possibility!

Interesting, where do you get cheese seeds?

Ho ho ho. Somehow I just knew that would rebound. Flippin' pedant! ;~)

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 18-11-2013, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

From a cheese plant, of course (Monstera deliciosa, in case you didn't
know)!

I Gruyère plant once, but no cheese from it

Probably brie-ding from the wrong clone.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 18-11-2013, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 12:10:38 +0000, Spider wrote:

Are the seeds, perhaps, too hard to use in cooking? I've cracked teeth
on hard seeds in bread too often to risk it without the say-so of a
friendly guinea pig ;~).

The Indian spice 'kalonji' is a type of onion seed, I understand. Used
widely in naan bread and pickling-style dishes. So try them and see
Old 18-11-2013, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 17:45:56 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 12:10:38 +0000, Spider wrote:

Are the seeds, perhaps, too hard to use in cooking? I've cracked teeth
on hard seeds in bread too often to risk it without the say-so of a
friendly guinea pig ;~).

The Indian spice 'kalonji' is a type of onion seed, I understand. Used
widely in naan bread and pickling-style dishes. So try them and see

Forget that. Wiki tells me that kalonji may resemble onion seeds but are
totally unrelated.
Old 18-11-2013, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Always happy to please a lady

Old 18-11-2013, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/11/2013 17:56, Derek Turner wrote:
On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 17:45:56 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 12:10:38 +0000, Spider wrote:

Are the seeds, perhaps, too hard to use in cooking? I've cracked teeth
on hard seeds in bread too often to risk it without the say-so of a
friendly guinea pig ;~).

The Indian spice 'kalonji' is a type of onion seed, I understand. Used
widely in naan bread and pickling-style dishes. So try them and see

Forget that. Wiki tells me that kalonji may resemble onion seeds but are
totally unrelated.

Well, thanks for trying anyway, Derek.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 20-11-2013, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/11/2013 09:53, Martin wrote:

wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
Having a relatively large number of onion seeds from my decorative onions
this year, I wondered if anyone had ever tried using them to coat bread,
in the manner of poppy seeds? I confess I no longer bake my own bread,
but enjoy briefly re-baked bread from the freezer. It would be fairly
easy to adhere onions seeds to a loaf or, for those who do bake their own
bread, put the seeds in the loaf. Cheese and onion seed bread, for
instance. It could catch on.

Are the seeds, perhaps, too hard to use in cooking? I've cracked teeth on
hard seeds in bread too often to risk it without the say-so of a friendly
guinea pig ;~).

Hope somebody here has explored the possibility!

Interesting, where do you get cheese seeds?

From a cheese plant, of course (Monstera deliciosa, in case you didn't
know)!

I Gruyère plant once, but no cheese from it

Gouda known better.

Can you eat the seeds?
Edam and find out.

Old 20-11-2013, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

From a cheese plant, of course (Monstera deliciosa, in case you
didn't
know)!

I Gruyère plant once, but no cheese from it

Gouda known better.

Can you eat the seeds?
Edam and find out.

Thank you, David, for the cheesey humour and, erm, advice!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 20-11-2013, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/11/2013 10:39, Martin wrote:

wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
Having a relatively large number of onion seeds from my decorative onions
this year, I wondered if anyone had ever tried using them to coat bread,
in the manner of poppy seeds? I confess I no longer bake my own bread,
but enjoy briefly re-baked bread from the freezer. It would be fairly
easy to adhere onions seeds to a loaf or, for those who do bake their own
bread, put the seeds in the loaf. Cheese and onion seed bread, for
instance. It could catch on.

Are the seeds, perhaps, too hard to use in cooking? I've cracked teeth on
hard seeds in bread too often to risk it without the say-so of a friendly
guinea pig ;~).

Hope somebody here has explored the possibility!

Interesting, where do you get cheese seeds?

From a cheese plant, of course (Monstera deliciosa, in case you didn't
know)!

I Gruyère plant once, but no cheese from it

Gouda known better.

Can you eat the seeds?
Edam and find out.

Leidse get this sorted out, it's cummin a joke.

I shall have to think very Caerphilly before I ask another question on
this ng.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London