Old 19-11-2013, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trying to grow Wasabi (japanese mustard)

Have been given a piece of Wasabi root, it has a couple of tiny new shoots
on it. Have done a search on how to grow it, and seem to come across a lot
of slightly conflicting advice.

Would like to try to grow it. Has anyone here had any success with growing
it, or could recommend a website known to be reliable? Thanks.

Old 19-11-2013, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , r brooks wrote:

Have been given a piece of Wasabi root, it has a couple of tiny new shoots
on it. Have done a search on how to grow it, and seem to come across a lot
of slightly conflicting advice.

Would like to try to grow it. Has anyone here had any success with growing
it, or could recommend a website known to be reliable? Thanks.

No, but I looked into it. It needs consistently warm (i.e. UK 'hot')
conditions, fairly high humidity and ample water. I decided not to
bother, but you might succeed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-11-2013, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article , r brooks
wrote:

Have been given a piece of Wasabi root, it has a couple of tiny new shoots
on it. Have done a search on how to grow it, and seem to come across a
lot
of slightly conflicting advice.

Would like to try to grow it. Has anyone here had any success with growing
it, or could recommend a website known to be reliable? Thanks.

No, but I looked into it. It needs consistently warm (i.e. UK 'hot')
conditions, fairly high humidity and ample water. I decided not to
bother, but you might succeed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

thanks. but looks like someone has got the hang of it...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...to-Wasabi.html

Old 20-11-2013, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"r brooks" wrote

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

r brooks wrote:

Have been given a piece of Wasabi root, it has a couple of tiny new
shoots
on it. Have done a search on how to grow it, and seem to come across a
lot
of slightly conflicting advice.

Would like to try to grow it. Has anyone here had any success with
growing
it, or could recommend a website known to be reliable? Thanks.

No, but I looked into it. It needs consistently warm (i.e. UK 'hot')
conditions, fairly high humidity and ample water. I decided not to
bother, but you might succeed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

thanks. but looks like someone has got the hang of it...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...to-Wasabi.html

Looking at the plant in one of the links on that page it reminds me of what
we used to call "cabbage" when we went fishing. Also use to plant the roots
in the grave of our tropical aquariums for their attractive foliage, not
that they lasted too long in the warm water. I think they were actually
"Brandy Bottles" growing in fast shallow water.

Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by r brooks View Post
but looks like someone has got the hang of it...

British farmer discovers secret to Wasabi - Telegraph
The pictures from Japan look fairly similar to watercress cultivation and the British grower's day-job is as a watercress farmer. But although watercress is generally cultivated in a particular way, a colleague of mine tells me he grows perfectly good watercress in a normal vegetable bed: maybe the yield isn't as good that way, but it's a lot less fuss. Japan does have a serious winter with most places experiencing snow and temperatures several degrees below zero. But probably the wasabi farms don't turn into ice-skating rinks. And it is probably the getting things warm enough for long enough that matters most.

growing own japanese green mustard root JWBH United Kingdom 4 22-12-2006 10:53 PM
wasabi farming Lynsey Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 28-04-2006 07:00 AM
wasabi farming Lynsey Edible Gardening 0 27-04-2006 08:56 AM
Trying to grow roots Ghislain Gardening 3 11-09-2003 11:22 PM
wasabi [email protected] Edible Gardening 13 26-03-2003 02:56 PM