Old 19-11-2013, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Saving runner bean seed

I said I whilst ago that I spray my runner bean pods of the ones I want
to save.
Now with a lot of leaf off the vines you can see them easily, I just
want some dry weather to dry them.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps61bb44cd.jpg

David @ a now sunny side of Swansea Bay
Old 19-11-2013, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/11/2013 13:13, David Hill wrote:
I said I whilst ago that I spray my runner bean pods of the ones I want
to save.
Now with a lot of leaf off the vines you can see them easily, I just
want some dry weather to dry them.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps61bb44cd.jpg

David @ a now sunny side of Swansea Bay

I tried to view your photo but photobucket wanted to run a zillion
scripts from a zillion third party sites, so I didn't allow it.

I harvested my runner bean seeds a couple of weeks ago. Put them into
the legs of some of the Mrs old tights and hung them in the attic. It
seems to be the ideal way to preserve such seeds.

I noticed one curiosity though. Each year the bean seeds I'm saving are
slightly larger than the previous year. There is some variability of
course but the trend seems to be larger seeds every year. I guess this
must result from planting the largest seeds of the previous year each
time. The original variety was "Streamline" but they must be gradually
drifting from that strain with each passing year. This must be around
the tenth or twelfth generation since the original packet of seeds.

--
David in Normandy.
Old 19-11-2013, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
I said I whilst ago that I spray my runner bean pods of the ones I want to
save.
Now with a lot of leaf off the vines you can see them easily, I just want
some dry weather to dry them.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps61bb44cd.jpg

Looks like you have plenty there for saving

What do you spray them with, David?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 19-11-2013, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/11/2013 13:34, Ophelia wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
I said I whilst ago that I spray my runner bean pods of the ones I
want to
save.
Now with a lot of leaf off the vines you can see them easily, I just want
some dry weather to dry them.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps61bb44cd.jpg

Looks like you have plenty there for saving

What do you spray them with, David?

I use Oasis Flower Spray Paint so that when I'm picking beans I can tell
which pods I am keeping for seed, not so easy to pick a blue pod by
mistake, but plenty of colours so you could have them pink or red, but I
wouldn't advise green.
David

Old 19-11-2013, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
I said I whilst ago that I spray my runner bean pods of the ones I
want to
save.
Now with a lot of leaf off the vines you can see them easily, I just
want
some dry weather to dry them.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps61bb44cd.jpg

Looks like you have plenty there for saving

What do you spray them with, David?

I use Oasis Flower Spray Paint so that when I'm picking beans I can tell
which pods I am keeping for seed, not so easy to pick a blue pod by
mistake, but plenty of colours so you could have them pink or red, but I
wouldn't advise green.

Yes, I can see why Thanks I was thinking you meant you spray them
with something to preserve them.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/