Old 20-11-2013, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Sacha: snow in the far east

Yesterday we had snow in Jersey[1] and it settled for a time. However, it
was on the other side of the tunnel so could safely be ignored. Don't
know if donkey-land got any though.

Derek

[1] That's twice in two winters - whatever next? frost?
Old 20-11-2013, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-20 08:26:07 +0000, Derek Turner said:

Yesterday we had snow in Jersey[1] and it settled for a time. However, it
was on the other side of the tunnel so could safely be ignored. Don't
know if donkey-land got any though.

Derek

[1] That's twice in two winters - whatever next? frost?

That is astonishing! My poor son will have been affected on the 'other
side of the tunnel' in Grouville! I'll check with 'donkey land'!
I don't think I ever recall snow in Jersey before Christmas and isn't
this now the third year in a row for having snow? It used to be about
once every five years, if that. We arrived for a grand daughter's
christening in late March nearly three years ago and were warned to be
very careful getting off the plane. The tarmac was absolutely white and
like a skating rink. It looks almost as if it could snow here today
and we've had that sort of rain that's trying to be slee. It's pouring
and blowing at present and the greenhouse team are in full waterproofs
if they have to go outside at all. It really is vile with a grey,
lowering sky and the horion is misted out. I wouldn't be surprised if
it's snowing up on the moor.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-11-2013, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:09:52 +0000, Sacha wrote:

That is astonishing! My poor son will have been affected on the 'other
side of the tunnel' in Grouville!

Yes. Wife went to visit a care home in Grouville or Gorey (not sure
which) which is on a hill and (having no boots) decided to postpone to
today :~
Old 20-11-2013, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-20 14:33:54 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:09:52 +0000, Sacha wrote:

That is astonishing! My poor son will have been affected on the 'other
side of the tunnel' in Grouville!

Yes. Wife went to visit a care home in Grouville or Gorey (not sure
which) which is on a hill and (having no boots) decided to postpone to
today :~

Possibly the one near Queen's Valley reservoir, the Guardian, I think.
The son tells me he saw lots of hail but no snow. It's incredible how
varied things can be in 9x5 miles! I hope you don't get any more!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-11-2013, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-20 14:33:54 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:09:52 +0000, Sacha wrote:

That is astonishing! My poor son will have been affected on the 'other
side of the tunnel' in Grouville!

Yes. Wife went to visit a care home in Grouville or Gorey (not sure
which) which is on a hill and (having no boots) decided to postpone to
today :~

Possibly the one near Queen's Valley reservoir, the Guardian, I think.
The son tells me he saw lots of hail but no snow. It's incredible how
varied things can be in 9x5 miles! I hope you don't get any more!

Here, cars were white with hail this morning.

Pouring sleety rain here.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-11-2013, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 15:23:17 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Possibly the one near Queen's Valley reservoir, the Guardian, I think.
The son tells me he saw lots of hail but no snow. It's incredible how
varied things can be in 9x5 miles! I hope you don't get any more!

She's home so I asked. The Hollies, Gorey village, and no, it wasn't hail
it was genuine snow and lying. Big soft flakes settling on the windscreen
not hailstones bouncing off it. As you say VERY localized
Old 20-11-2013, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-20 16:36:37 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 15:23:17 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Possibly the one near Queen's Valley reservoir, the Guardian, I think.
The son tells me he saw lots of hail but no snow. It's incredible how
varied things can be in 9x5 miles! I hope you don't get any more!

She's home so I asked. The Hollies, Gorey village, and no, it wasn't hail
it was genuine snow and lying. Big soft flakes settling on the windscreen
not hailstones bouncing off it. As you say VERY localized

My son who is, quite truly, about 4 minutes from there by car, saw only
hail. We talk often, on urg, of differences in climate because of
distance but really, i do think the CIs might be one of the best
examples of that available to us. Certainly, I've gone from one half
of the island to the other and one is shrouded in fog and the other, in
full sunshine.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-11-2013, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-20 16:36:37 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 15:23:17 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Possibly the one near Queen's Valley reservoir, the Guardian, I think.
The son tells me he saw lots of hail but no snow. It's incredible how
varied things can be in 9x5 miles! I hope you don't get any more!

She's home so I asked. The Hollies, Gorey village, and no, it wasn't hail
it was genuine snow and lying. Big soft flakes settling on the windscreen
not hailstones bouncing off it. As you say VERY localized

My son who is, quite truly, about 4 minutes from there by car, saw only
hail. We talk often, on urg, of differences in climate because of
distance but really, i do think the CIs might be one of the best
examples of that available to us. Certainly, I've gone from one half
of the island to the other and one is shrouded in fog and the other, in
full sunshine.

You get the same effect passing through the tunnels under Amsterdam
harbour. The
sun always shines on the north side of the tunnels.

Ah well, Derek and I would no doubt argue the East/West divide but for
rather different reasons. ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-11-2013, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-20 16:36:37 +0000, Derek Turner said:

[...]

I have tunnel vision?

Lol! The Jersey tunnel is very short really but like all these things
caused great excitement and opposing views when it was made. But the
real difference is if you live on the west coast of Jersey you're
practically in passport country as far as east coasters are concerned.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

snow snow snow! Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 11 18-01-2013 10:37 PM
Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 07:28 AM
Ping Sacha judith.lea United Kingdom 3 16-10-2007 11:55 PM
Far East group poster: was Hyacinth Experiment Mike Patterson Ponds 1 18-05-2004 06:06 AM
Ping Sacha Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 3 26-05-2003 05:20 PM