Old 21-11-2013, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Orchid Myst

Has anyone used a product called Orchid Myst? I saw it and bought some
yesterday. It is a ready-mixed spray which you spray on leaves, aerial
roots and on the bark/compost, but not on flowers.
www.focus-on-plants.com

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-11-2013, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/11/2013 09:42, Pam Moore wrote:
Has anyone used a product called Orchid Myst? I saw it and bought some
yesterday. It is a ready-mixed spray which you spray on leaves, aerial
roots and on the bark/compost, but not on flowers.
www.focus-on-plants.com

Pam in Bristol

Hi Pam,

You don't seem to have any replies, so I thought I'd drop in.
I don't use Orchid Myst, but would be very interested in your impression
of it in due course.

I have about 35 orchids (excluding the hardy ones) and they are kept
close together on two long window cills. I am sure this helps provide
its own local humidity (one of OM's claims). My feeding/watering regime
falls about every ten days. After 3 sessions of feeding, I have a
session of watering only. I don't buy a proprietary leaf shine product;
they're horrendously expensive! Insead, I routine wipe dusty leaves
with a soft tissue. Once in a while, if the leaves are looking really
dull and lack-lustre, I wipe them all (takes ages!) with a weaker than
usual fertiliser solution, which cleans them and gives them a filip, in
much the same way that OM does. When I do this, I miss out a feed to
make sure I'm not inflicting too much chemical brew on them.

All this seems to work and I bring most orchids back in to flower. I'm
dead chuffed this year, as I've managed for the first time to get all
three of my Cymbidiums to flower! :~).

I always fail to get Zygopetalum and Dendrobium to reflower and, indeed,
have lost a few.

If I were to try OM, it would be on the Cambria types whose roots are so
thin they don't hold onto moisture and nutrients as well as
Phaelenopsis, say. I certainly don't want to start spraying in the
living rooms - we've just got rid of a fungal problem in one room due to
a neighbour's garden wall butting up against our party wall, so I'm a
bit paranoid about encouraging fungus again.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 24-11-2013, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 13:51:33 +0000, Spider wrote:

[...]

Interesting advice, Spider. Thanks.
I only have 5 orchids, 4 phals and 1 cymbidium.
I don't feed much or water enough, I think but this year I got all 4
phals, in my bathroom, to re-flower.
My cymbidium I have written about here before. Bought it in flower for
my Mum for Mothering Sunday about 20 years ago. It never flowered
again for her but got weaker and smaller. I brought it home and
nourished it for 15 years. It never flowered but got bigger and
bigger. I split it and gave 4 pieces away and kept one for myself.
All 4 others, in 4 different houses, flowered last year. Mine NO.
Maybe Orchid Myst will help!

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-11-2013, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/11/2013 09:16, Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

I can understand your frustration with Cymbidium. I nearly gave up on
mine, but with advice from Bob Holden here on urg and added advice from
an old friend, I've finally got flowers - lots of them on one :~).

When all risk of frost was over, I put my 3 large plants outside for the
summer, only bringing them in around the end of September. At first
they were sheltered from full sun but, by the end of the summer, I'd
moved them into full sun, which they seemed to love. In that more
prominent place, I also remembered to water and feed them a bit more
often! Indoors I use a proprietary orchid feed, but outside I gave them
about 1/4 strength Tomorite.

Low and behold, when I prepared to bring them inside, I discovered
strong flowering shoots - 3 on my favourite plant! At this point I did
something a bit naughty, so this part is not a recommendation. All 3
plants were very unwieldy with a massive amount of long, strappy leaves,
so much so that the plants wouldn't remain upright on their own due to
the excess weight. So I cut the foliage back by about a third! Yes, I
know one isn't supposed to, but it's not as if I chopped all the leaves
off. It had made the plants look much tidier *and* they have stopped
falling over. Next year will be the test of how damaging that has been.
I am hoping, of course, that I can get away with it. I'll try and
remember to report back here in a year's time.

One thought has just nudged its way to the front of my brain: could it
be that when you split your huge plant 5 ways and generously parted with
4, you kept the oldest, tiredest part for yourself? If so, you may not
get it back into flower, unless it has built up sufficient new
pseudobulbs. Indeed, it may never flower. I'm sure Bob would know ...
let's hope he pops up in a mo.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 24-11-2013, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 13:12:10 +0000, Spider wrote:

[...]

Thanks Spider
LOL Last point first. I potted the divisions into smaller pots, and
put mine in a bigger pot. The ones which flowered were more pot-bound
and no, mine was a good chunk, not just the oldest part!

I'm really interested that you cut your cymbidium leaves back. I've
been wondering how it would look if I did so as mine is so large and
I've not much space for it. I'm glad you thought it worked OK.

Mine has been outside all summer but in the shade. I was told by an
orchid expert to keep it moist in order to promote flowering, but it
didn't!

A lot of the time it has to put up with tap water but looks very
healtthy.
I'm not giving up now!

Pam in Bristol

Old 24-11-2013, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/11/2013 15:46, Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

Answering in order: Thank goodness you've got a decent-sized plant!
Hopefully, it will soon fill its pot and flower within the next year or
two. A 'growth' feed, as opposed to a 're-bloom' feed, may help early
next year.

My Cymbidium looks okay with its leaves trimmed. I cut them on a slant
to try to recreate the pointed appearance, which I'm sure helped. As to
whether it works in the long term (by limiting photosynthesis), I can't
say. Whether or not it blooms next year, I'll report back. I'm not
going to advise you to cut yours back, but you could certainly look at
removing any tatty old leaves. I don't regret cutting mine back at all
- it's certainly much tidier and, in truth, there's still an awful lot
of healthy leaf left. I just don't want to encourage you to cut your
leaves back if it will impede flowering. You'll have to take that risk
yourself :~).

Perhaps next year, you could put your Cymbidium out in the shade to
begin with, then gradually move it into a sunnier position. The leaves
showed no signs of suffering from the sun. They got a bit battered when
the wind blew them over, but nothing more than that. I shall certainly
repeat the exercise next year.

All my orchids get tap water and, like yours, look none the worse for
it. The Cymbidiums had rainwater outdoors most of the time, but they
are back on tap water now. The oddest thing is that all my Cymbidiums
were quite strongly scented when I bought them. The first thing I did
when the flowers opened fully was sniff for scent. There was none, nor
has it developed since. I'm sorely miffed as the scent was lovely. I'm
still enjoying the flowers, of course, but I'm so disappointed there's
no scent.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London