Old 22-11-2013, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frost

We had our first really sharp frost this morning. Part of the lawn was
white and up into the corner of the flower beds which always seems to
be the coldest bit. I don't know what it went down to - have to check
that - but it was certainly noticeably 'harder' than the last one or
two warning nips we've had.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-11-2013, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 11:40:22 +0000, Jake wrote:

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 10:51:46 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

We had our first really sharp frost this morning. Part of the lawn was
white and up into the corner of the flower beds which always seems to be
the coldest bit. I don't know what it went down to - have to check that
- but it was certainly noticeably 'harder' than the last one or two
warning nips we've had.

A decent frost here too though no previous hint of frost this autumn.
Still, at last, the summer bedding has gone over. So a bit of clearance
to do over the weekend.

Currently in town but our neighbour at Ch. de Sassy posted a facebook
photo of snow yesterday. And I left about half of the seedlings out...

Got to go visit the gendarmes this afternoon to witness for a nasty
accident we were semi-involved with, involving a shire horse that had
gotten loose. We saw the horses in the road (it was night) so I was going
pretty slow, but this other guy in a little white citroen came around a
curve and into one at full speed. The horse basically exploded and
rolled up into his windshield; he skidded into my lane while fishtailing,
but I was able to get around him on the left and stop between him in the
ditch and the remains. Our car had horse all over it, too. The citroen
was crushed front to back and the roof was cut completely off, and it was
pink with (horse) blood all over. I believe the driver was airlifted out
and is alive, although they still hadn't managed to cut him free when we
were allowed to leave. The passenger was OK, with a broken wrist/arm
though, poor thing.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 22-11-2013, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

What an absolutely horrible thing to witness and indeed, to be involved
in. That poor driver must be absolutely traumatised beyond words and it
can only have been terrifying for you. Dreadful.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-11-2013, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We had our first really sharp frost this morning. Part of the lawn
was white and up into the corner of the flower beds which always
seems to be the coldest bit. I don't know what it went down to -
have to check that - but it was certainly noticeably 'harder' than
the last one or two warning nips we've had.

There are about 3 cm of snow here at the farm still, though none at all
at lower altitude. (We're at 440 m).

[]
What an absolutely horrible thing to witness and indeed, to be involved
in. That poor driver must be absolutely traumatised beyond words and it
can only have been terrifying for you. Dreadful.

Yes: no fun. 14 year old son turned vegetarian for 3 whole days...

We spent a couple of hours with the investigator and learned that the
driver is still in ICU in an artificial coma, they can't yet operate for
the internal injuries as there is too much swelling. There seems to be
some question as to whether he'll recover use of his legs, although I did
see him move them at the time.

The owner of the horse is being criminally prosecuted.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 22-11-2013, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/11/2013 19:45, Emery Davis wrote:

The owner of the horse is being criminally prosecuted.

You had a lucky escape. A cow was wandering on the lanes near us last
year and I popped into the nearest farm and reported it to the owner. No
sign of the cow later on when we drove past later.

It sounds like the French police / gendarmes are more diligent than the
British police. Back in England, a drunk driver once drove straight
across a blind bend near to my father's farm and straight through the
hedge into a field full of cattle. Apparently the police came and took
the driver away, he was unhurt but they neglected to inform us that
there had been an accident and that there was a huge hole in the hedge.
The first we knew about it was several hours later when we saw our
cattle wandering up the busy road past the house! They could easily have
caused a major accident like the one with the horse; simply because the
local plod were incompetent.

--
David in Normandy.
Old 23-11-2013, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Now that was a cold night. Reached minus 3 in the
greenhouse and ground sufficiently hard to walk on
without getting mud everywhere.

Must pull the remaining carrots when the ground
softens!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---

Old 23-11-2013, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Wife reports that a neighbour a little higher than us
recorded -6șC last night. They are about 75ft higher
than we are.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---

last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 05:31 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 11:56 PM
American frost zones tim United Kingdom 21 23-02-2003 01:16 PM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 07:20 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 09:01 AM