GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sea-buckthorn question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208768-sea-buckthorn-question.html)

Malcolm 24-11-2013 11:31 AM

Sea-buckthorn question

We have a male Sea-buckthorn, c.10 feet high, in a suitably moist area, and close to the sea, and would like one or more females to grow alongside it. I've looked on the internet and 1–2 year old plants are available from a number of nurseries but all but one say that you can't sex them until they fruit at 5–6 years old. The exception offers female plants of Hippophae rhamnoides 'Leikora', which, as they are only 20–30 cm in height, can only be 1 year old, so how do they know the sex, or is this variety different from others in this respect? Their male plants are Hippophae rhamnoides 'Poolmix'.

Janet 24-11-2013 02:27 PM

Sea-buckthorn question

In article ,
says...
We have a male Sea-buckthorn, c.10 feet high, in a suitably moist area, and close to the sea,
and would like one or more females to grow alongside it. I've looked
on the internet and 1?2 year old plants are available from a number of

nurseries but all but one say that you can't sex them until they fruit
at 5?6 years old.

Then they must be referring to plants grown from seed?

The exception offers female plants of Hippophae rhamnoides 'Leikora',
which, as they are only 20?30 cm in height, can only be 1 year old, so
how do they know the sex,

Because they are clones of a mature plant that's known to be female.
Either grown from cuttings or micro cell propagation, they would be
identical to the parent they were taken from.

Janet

[email protected] 24-11-2013 08:13 PM

Sea-buckthorn question

On Sunday, November 24, 2013 2:27:55 PM UTC, Janet wrote:
In article ,

says...

We have a male Sea-buckthorn, c.10 feet high, in a suitably moist area, and close to the sea,

and would like one or more females to grow alongside it. I've looked

on the internet and 1?2 year old plants are available from a number of

nurseries but all but one say that you can't sex them until they fruit

at 5?6 years old.

Then they must be referring to plants grown from seed?

The exception offers female plants of Hippophae rhamnoides 'Leikora',

which, as they are only 20?30 cm in height, can only be 1 year old, so

how do they know the sex,

Because they are clones of a mature plant that's known to be female.

Either grown from cuttings or micro cell propagation, they would be

identical to the parent they were taken from.

That's a very good point, Janet. I think I'll ask them

--
Malcolm