GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gardening blogs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208790-gardening-blogs.html)

Sacha[_11_] 27-11-2013 11:33 AM

Gardening blogs

As the subject of social media and gardening has come up, this is a
link to what the author of this site considers to be the best gardening
blogs. It's their own opinion and I don't know all of the blogs but
some urglers might find one or two to their liking, others won't. It
is worth bearing in mind that only one blog (afaik) is written by
professional writers. By their nature many blogs are individual and
quirky and some are very annoying to the reader! I've looked at a few
of them at random and don't see anything annoying/dangerous on them.
One of those I like best is Fennel & Fern with some great photographs,
as well as recipes for the food people grow and tips on how to grow it.
http://deaddinosaur.co.uk/social-med...rdening-blogs/

And here's the RHS's list of blogs that were in their 'best blog' competition
http://www.rhs.org.uk/blogscompetition

I hope urglers will find things of interest to them there that can also
be brought to urg for discussion.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Let it be 27-11-2013 07:16 PM

Gardening blogs

Sacha wrote:
[...]

At the risk of being binned by you Sacha for not agreeing with your mindset.

To follow such stuff in all the social media requires the brain of a
butterfly to be able to spend hours jumping from one inconsequential bit of
rubbish to another - and at the end of it - learn nothing; other than what
they want to believe, or foist their own beliefs on other butterfly brains.

This is along with having all your musings being logged by any security
group who wishes to drop in from time-to-time using their capture-all
applications (including GCHQ, Police, NSA etc.

I often wonder at what's happening to this country when people spend hours
in front of their computers logging into facebook, twitter etc ---------- ah
shit! What's the use of even going there?

Many people think what they read on the internet is 'gospel and inviolable'
and everything outside it is simply a pack of lies that must be ignored!

David Hill 27-11-2013 07:45 PM

Gardening blogs

On 27/11/2013 18:16, Let It Be wrote:
Many people think what they read on the internet is 'gospel and inviolable'
and everything outside it is simply a pack of lies that must be ignored!

So where does that place your post?

Sacha[_11_] 28-11-2013 08:34 AM

Gardening blogs

On 2013-11-27 18:16:48 +0000, Let It Be said:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

I simply don't understand this response. I'm suggesting that urglers
might like to read some gardening blogs, by professionals and/or
amateurs. I am not suggesting they take to Twitter and Facebook which
seem to have got dragged into this discussion by means of endless
repetition of how awful they are, sometimes by people who have never
looked at them. Once more and with feeling: I am suggesting reading
gardening blogs. Or follow the blog of just one person. I am NOT
suggesting reading Twitter or Facebook as a substitute.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Bob Hobden 28-11-2013 09:57 AM

Gardening blogs

"Sacha" wrote

I simply don't understand this response. I'm suggesting that urglers might
like to read some gardening blogs, by professionals and/or amateurs. I am
not suggesting they take to Twitter and Facebook which seem to have got
dragged into this discussion by means of endless repetition of how awful
they are, sometimes by people who have never looked at them. Once more and
with feeling: I am suggesting reading gardening blogs. Or follow the blog
of just one person. I am NOT suggesting reading Twitter or Facebook as a
substitute.

Yes true, you did, but your comments were the final straw that got me
interested in what Twitter was all about and I thank you for that. Something
I had been meaning to look at for a long time but after my experience with
Facebook was reticent to do. I have looked at many Blogs and rarely find
them interesting, too many seem written for the writer not for the reader. A
bit like some general gardening books I've passed on to the charity shop.

My problem is I'm a hands on gardener, I learnt my gardening with muck on my
hands and an old gardener standing over me, so I usually find writings about
gardens trite and uninformative. It's why I tend to buy (semi-scientific)
books on specific species written by experts.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Sacha[_11_] 28-11-2013 10:13 AM

Gardening blogs

On 2013-11-28 08:57:59 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

[...]

I take your point and indeed, there is a lot of dross out there but
there's also a lot of gold. For example, discussions on new plants, new
types of plants and garden design can be stimulating to new and older
gardeners alike.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

kay 28-11-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Let It Be (Post 995775)

To follow such stuff in all the social media requires the brain of a
butterfly to be able to spend hours jumping from one inconsequential bit of
rubbish to another - and at the end of it - learn nothing; other than what
they want to believe, or foist their own beliefs on other butterfly brains.

that could be said to apply to urg too! ;-)

Quote:

This is along with having all your musings being logged by any security
group who wishes to drop in from time-to-time using their capture-all
applications (including GCHQ, Police, NSA etc.

Well, that'll apply to anything you do ...
Quote:

Many people think what they read on the internet is 'gospel and inviolable'
and everything outside it is simply a pack of lies that must be ignored!
Everyone develops a list of sources that they trust, whether it be the internet, their Uncle Peter, or the Daily Mail. Some people apply their critical faculties less than others in making a such a decision.

sacha 28-11-2013 06:31 PM

Gardening blogs

On 2013-11-28 09:54:09 +0000, kay said:

Let It Be;995775 Wrote:

[...]

But what would I know? I'm just some fluffy-headed woman butterflying
around the social media! ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com