Old 05-12-2013, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Troubled Lawson cypress 'columnaris glauca'

Better known of course as Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Columnaris Glauca'.
(Silly name I thought pseudo latin had been banned for cultivars).

I've had this in the ground for 5 years, and it hasn't had an easy time.
Shortly after planting, the central leader was bitten off by a deer. I
then protected it, but of course it hasn't gained much height; a slow
grower anyway I suppose. Anyway it has a new leader and has filled out,
making a squat flame shape about 1.5 m tall. However it had grown into
the protective fence, so I took it off last summer. It turns out the
fence may have been supporting the branches, because a couple weeks ago
when we had snow, many branches bowed down almost to the ground. The
leader is OK, but it looks pretty shabby.

Any idea what the best approach for shaping is? Would it be a good idea
to tie the branches back in? I do this for a pretty big juniper that
loses its shape after heavy snow. Or maybe just let it work things out on
its own for now?

Thanks

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 05-12-2013, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/12/2013 12:15, Emery Davis wrote:
Better known of course as Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Columnaris Glauca'.
(Silly name I thought pseudo latin had been banned for cultivars).

Judging by the press obsession, I assumed this was probably a thread
about Lawson Goddess 'nigella'

Particularly when you add:

loses its shape after heavy snow. Or maybe just let it work things out on
its own for now?

Sorry - not much help I'm afraid.

--
regards
andyw
Old 05-12-2013, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 13:24:12 +0000, News wrote:

Lawson Goddess 'nigella'

Heh. Good one!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Lawson Cypress under threat David WE Roberts[_4_] United Kingdom 0 20-10-2011 03:48 PM
Lawson Cypress Gregs United Kingdom 3 19-09-2005 09:10 PM
root rot in Douglas fir and Lawson cypress Roy A. Fletcher Gardening 2 09-09-2004 04:29 AM
Yucca glauca question chirisophus Gardening 1 21-05-2003 06:32 PM
columnaris outbreak Dave J Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:16 AM