GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ivy (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208832-ivy.html)

Anne 06-12-2013 01:36 PM

Ivy

I have removed all the ivy off a fence (no easy job!!)

I now need to kill the roots.

Suggestions please.

Ragnar 06-12-2013 01:57 PM

Ivy

"Anne" wrote in message

I have removed all the ivy off a fence (no easy job!!)

I now need to kill the roots.

Suggestions please.

You will probably find that the roots die very quickly.
R.

---

Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_] 06-12-2013 03:35 PM

Ivy

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 13:36:44 +0000, Anne wrote:

I have removed all the ivy off a fence (no easy job!!)

I now need to kill the roots.

Suggestions please.

There is no need if you have cut it to ground level.

Steve

Anne 06-12-2013 04:35 PM

Ivy

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 14:09:58 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 13:36:44 +0000, Anne wrote:

I have removed all the ivy off a fence (no easy job!!)

I now need to kill the roots.

Suggestions please.

Assuming you mean the roots in the ground, if you've cut it down to
ground level they don't usually re-shoot IME. OTOH if you really want
to be 100% sure, they're not difficult to dig up. The fine aerial
'roots' that hold the ivy onto whatever it's climbing over won't grow
again under any circumstance.

Many thanks to Ragnor, Chris and Stephen.

(If it doesn't work - I'll be back in the spring (if the ivy is, of course)
!!)

Janet 06-12-2013 04:56 PM

Ivy

In article ,
says...

"Anne" wrote in message

I have removed all the ivy off a fence (no easy job!!)

I now need to kill the roots.

Suggestions please.

You will probably find that the roots die very quickly.

If only! IME big old ivy stumps are zombies who arise from the
grave. (the ones I'm dealing with are 2" diameter).

Buy a tree-root-killing toxin from GC. It should be applied shortly
after the stems were cut before they seal over . I cover treated stumps
with a tied-on plastic bag hat to keep livestock off and make sure the
stuff doesn't wash away before doing its work.

Janet

stuart noble 06-12-2013 05:39 PM

Ivy

On 06/12/2013 16:56, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

"Anne" wrote in message

I have removed all the ivy off a fence (no easy job!!)

I now need to kill the roots.

Suggestions please.

You will probably find that the roots die very quickly.

If only! IME big old ivy stumps are zombies who arise from the
grave. (the ones I'm dealing with are 2" diameter).

Buy a tree-root-killing toxin from GC. It should be applied shortly
after the stems were cut before they seal over . I cover treated stumps
with a tied-on plastic bag hat to keep livestock off and make sure the
stuff doesn't wash away before doing its work.

Janet

I removed a very old 30 feet job some years back. Dug the roots out just
because they took up a lot of space. Not difficult at all, and no sign
of regrowth