Old 08-12-2013, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Almost nothing grows here. Any advice?

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

There's narrow strips of woodland in the valleys in Arkengarthdale up to
about 350m, but he's higher than that. A shelter belt of trees is going
to be a challenge.

If he even exists, he's shown no interest in any follow up.

Gorse makes a fantastic shelterbelt and so does hawthorn. They can
both be clipped really hard into gale-defying mounds.

And if you use the double form of Gorse then there is no chance of it
seeding itself everywhere

I grow that and am surprised it's not more widely known or used. It's
an impenetrable barrier to urban pests, idiot proof (prune it as hard as
you like, axe or hedgetrimmer), flowers densely and fragrantly for
months.

Janet.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 14:32:28 +0000, David Hill wrote:

If he even exists, he's shown no interest in any follow up.

Give the chap a chance, it's not 30 hours since he posted yet. Not
everyone hangs off usenet/email responding within 30 seconds... Of
course he posted from gardenbanter so will have to remember to login
to that particular site and look for any responses. May well have
posted the same/similar question in many other "forums" as well so as
web things are so painfully slow it may take a while...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 15:05:15 +0000, Janet wrote:

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

And if you use the double form of Gorse then there is no chance of it
seeding itself everywhere

I grow that and am surprised it's not more widely known or used. It's
an impenetrable barrier to urban pests, idiot proof (prune it as hard as
you like, axe or hedgetrimmer), flowers densely and fragrantly for
months.

It's lovely stuff, I think.

I agree with whoever suggested Rowan, maybe even some of the selections
like Sorbus rockii. From the maple group, most sycamores (and there are
lots) should do well, also A. ginalla, the Amur Valley maple.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Dec 2013 18:53:22 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

I agree with whoever suggested Rowan, maybe even some of the selections
like Sorbus rockii. From the maple group, most sycamores (and there are
lots) should do well, ...

I'd forgotten about sycamore, we have a few of those, they might be a
bit more vigorous than the rowan. SWMBO'd (the real gardener here)
wanted to take 'em out before they took over and started seeding all
over the place. I talked her out of it on the basis that if they did
well they'd provide some shelter for the other trees and any
seedlings would be easy to just pull up.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 8 Dec 2013 18:53:22 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

I agree with whoever suggested Rowan, maybe even some of the selections
like Sorbus rockii. From the maple group, most sycamores (and there are
lots) should do well, ...

I'd forgotten about sycamore, we have a few of those, they might be a
bit more vigorous than the rowan. SWMBO'd (the real gardener here)
wanted to take 'em out before they took over and started seeding all
over the place. I talked her out of it on the basis that if they did
well they'd provide some shelter for the other trees and any
seedlings would be easy to just pull up.

Has anyone mentioned blackthorn?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Has anyone mentioned blackthorn?

Not yet, are you going to?

:-)

Janet
Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 20:21:22 -0000, Janet wrote:

Has anyone mentioned blackthorn?

Not yet, are you going to?

I will, another forgotten one (I did say I'm not the gardener...).

Very slow to grow here, I think the largest bush of Blackthorn we
have is no more than a few feet high and a couple wide, very open and
10 years old.

Damn it, what trees/shrubs did we put in? In order of "doing well":

Sycamore
Rowan
Larch
Birch
Ash
Scots Pine (they all got hit this/last year along with most other
similar pines around here with something that killed all the previous
years needles, this years growth looks OK so far...)
Blackthorn (slow)
Dog Rose (just a couple, slow)
Yew (only a couple, just clings on, the wind burns the leaves).

Some English Oaks have recently been put in they seem to survive.
Some gorse has also gone in but that is tiny about 6" across... Time
will tell, there is no wild gorse around here.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/12/2013 21:14, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Upland woods around here are a mixture of oak and birch, with holly as
the principal component of the shrub layer, so perhaps holly would do as
well. Rowan is a minor component, and bramble and bilberry contribute to
the ground-cover layer.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 20:21:22 -0000, Janet wrote:

Has anyone mentioned blackthorn?

Not yet, are you going to?

I will, another forgotten one (I did say I'm not the gardener...).

Very slow to grow here, I think the largest bush of Blackthorn we
have is no more than a few feet high and a couple wide, very open and
10 years old.

Yes, they are - but they are essentially windproof.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/12/2013 17:02, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 07/12/2013 16:32, Bob Hobden wrote:
"HerbyPeter" wrote ...

I live in Arkengarthdale at 1200+ feet. (google it )
It's windy. It's cold. I love it but plants don't.

I planted several Sea Buckthorn three years ago.
Three only still survive.

The only plant to live more than a year is Honeysuckle.
Except a hardy fuscia which lasted four years.

Ah! I tell a lie! Rosa 'Fru Dagmar Hastrup' (I think, I'm no flower
expert) has survived for as long as the honeysuckle.
I never can decide whether to dead head or leave the BIG hips for the
winter birds, (those that can survive).

I have made up some raised beds to try and combat the killing
conditions.
Yet to be proven since something decimated my brassicas before they had
a chance to grow.
Even the sage pants were eaten.
Leeks still survive but don't look as if they will make a meal. Ever.

I'm guessing even Gardener's World wouldn't rise to this challenge,

Sounds like you need a wind break around your garden, have you room to
plant one?

Take a look at this which gives you ideas for what to use as windbreaks
and what to plant to cope with the wind.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=472
Yes I know you are not on the coast but you do have the strong winds
they do.

He'll have the problem that he needs a windbreak that can cope with the
cold as well as with high winds (but it doesn't need to be
salt-tolerant). I was wondering if juniper was suitable.

It is but it is very slow growing. His best bet is to look around to see
what others have planted as a shelter belt and do the same. In these
exposed places the trees tend to grow sideways in the direction of the
prevailing winds, but you can grow some lovely alpines in the gaps
between the limestone blocks. Assuming that is what he has.

The two strategies would be choose plants that like these conditions and
grow a shelter belt or build a wall to protect those that don't.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 12-12-2013, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 15:53:04 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

If he even exists, he's shown no interest in any follow up.

Give the chap a chance, it's not 30 hours since he posted yet.

But it's now several days. Maybe, just maybe, herbypeter is a weekend
poster like a weekend gardner or is it more likely just the normal
half wit from a *banter site?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:34 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Liquorice[_2_] View Post
just the normal
half wit from a *banter site?
Obviously been wasting my time trying to answer questions then.

It's times like this where I miss the Turnpike Kill function.