GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   blackthorn flowering now (12 Dec) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208865-blackthorn-flowering-now-12-dec.html)

[email protected] 12-12-2013 08:34 PM

blackthorn flowering now (12 Dec)

In a farm hedge in west Devon (so an original sport not a cultivar someone has planted). Anyone else come across this? Should I propagate it out are there existing cultivars which do this?

Martin Brown 12-12-2013 09:46 PM

On 12/12/2013 20:34, wrote:
In a farm hedge in west Devon (so an original sport not a cultivar someone has planted). Anyone else come across this? Should I propagate it out are there existing cultivars which do this?

It is a funny year. I have seen Japanese quince Chaenomeles in flower
with new fruit last week and we almost have snowdrops here. No flowers
yet but I will go and look in the warmest local spot this weekend.

Blame the weather - it was grey but insanely warm here today at 10C.

I have blackcurrant bushes with fresh new season leaves on now - boy are
they in for a shock if the weather turns nasty and cold.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 12-12-2013 10:31 PM

blackthorn flowering now (12 Dec)

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/12/2013 20:34, wrote:
In a farm hedge in west Devon (so an original sport not a cultivar someone has planted). Anyone else come across this? Should I propagate it out are there existing cultivars which do this?

It is a funny year. I have seen Japanese quince Chaenomeles in flower
with new fruit last week and we almost have snowdrops here. No flowers
yet but I will go and look in the warmest local spot this weekend.

Chaenomeles is always a bit odd. I have some that flower anywhere
between November and April, depending on something or other in the
weather.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.