Old 24-12-2013, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dirk!

What a lovely name for a storm, anyway.

So, wondering how you all made out.

We got plenty of gusty wind as promised and lots of standing water
outside. The only casualty though was the last of our elm trees, which
was in no great shape anyway, being cabled to keep from splitting. I
guess the cable wasn't enough. A shame really, second elm lost this year
to wind. I shant be planting more of them. Not looking forward to the
big job of cutting it up, or paying someone to do it.

The main damage came to our neighbour's place, which took a large birch
on the house over the front door. It uprooted quite early in the storm,
around 9pm last night. Damage could have been much worse -- lucky it was
a birch and not an large pine or oak -- but it did poke through a couple
of ceilings and take off the roof across the front of the house along a 4
ft deep area. Not heavy enough to break any of the main supports. Wily
old country rat that he is, there was already a team of roofers there at
8 am this morning, equipped with chainsaws!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 24-12-2013, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/12/2013 12:30, Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

It's sad to hear about your Elm, but good to know there wasn't more
significant damage. We seem to have survived unscathed, but I haven't
been out in the garden today, so hope all is well outside.

I do feel for your neighbour. Hope he can get the house patched up
without too much trouble.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 24-12-2013, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Not too bad here in the East Midlands, although one of my elderly damson
trees is now leaning so far I'll have to get someone in to chop it down,
other than that, no damage to the house or other trees apart from a few
small branches off which will make good kindling for next year.

Old 25-12-2013, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 17:21:21 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 24/12/2013 12:30, Emery Davis wrote:
to the big job of cutting it up, or paying someone to do it.

The main damage came to our neighbour's place, which took a large birch
on the house over the front door. It uprooted quite early in the

It's sad to hear about your Elm, but good to know there wasn't more
significant damage. We seem to have survived unscathed, but I haven't
been out in the garden today, so hope all is well outside.

Thanks. I must say the elm was going to go sooner or later, but I had
hoped for later. Unlucky is all.

We had a Christmas walk through the forest, there were many trees down,
mostly large pines that uprooted.

I do feel for your neighbour. Hope he can get the house patched up
without too much trouble.

He's already done it. But it's a hard holiday for the old feller, the
roof is the least of it. His (very much younger) wife left him last
month, so he's on his own, poor health and all. Indefensible in our
view, in spite of the age difference. Ah well, modern times.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 25-12-2013, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 19:41:48 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

Not too bad here in the East Midlands, although one of my elderly damson
trees is now leaning so far I'll have to get someone in to chop it down,
other than that, no damage to the house or other trees apart from a few
small branches off which will make good kindling for next year.

Glad to hear it was OK. Maybe the damson could be propped?

Happy Christmas!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 31-12-2013, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 19:41:48 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

Not too bad here in the East Midlands, although one of my elderly damson
trees is now leaning so far I'll have to get someone in to chop it down,
other than that, no damage to the house or other trees apart from a few
small branches off which will make good kindling for next year.

Glad to hear it was OK. Maybe the damson could be propped?

That's a possibility, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 31-12-2013, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Glad to hear it was OK. Maybe the damson could be propped?

That's a possibility, thanks for the suggestion.

Or even guyed. I have two wisteria trees that owe their existance to
to the technique.
What is the diameter of the trunk ?

Regards
Pete