Old 28-12-2013, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Roses Dilemma

Having planted out bare-rooted roses a few weeks ago, with all the mild
weather and rain since, most of the buds left after pruning the roses hard
are now breakting or are about to. The leading stems are only 3 - 4 inches
in length with all the buds along their lemgths now breaking. I don't think
I've seen a winter in the UK before where roses refuse to become dormant

I'm concerned that when the hard frost eventually arrives these new laterals
will be killed off and subssequent die-back might extend back to the graft
union, killing these roses...Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Old 28-12-2013, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth" wrote ...

Having planted out bare-rooted roses a few weeks ago, with all the mild
weather and rain since, most of the buds left after pruning the roses hard
are now breakting or are about to. The leading stems are only 3 - 4 inches
in length with all the buds along their lemgths now breaking. I don't think
I've seen a winter in the UK before where roses refuse to become dormant

I'm concerned that when the hard frost eventually arrives these new
laterals
will be killed off and subssequent die-back might extend back to the graft
union, killing these roses...Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Seeing as there is nothing you can do about it there is no point in
concerning yourself. Even in very frosty winters I've noticed that the roses
don't seem to suffer much even if they have started into growth early.
Two of my Patio roses are still flowering as is one of my Princess lilies
and a Bergenia. Down the Chertsey Lane on the roadside there is a large
clump of Kniphofias in beautiful full bloom, they always are about this
time, I keep saying I'm going to nick some but never have.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-12-2013, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 12:57:11 -0000, "Frank Booth"
wrote:

Having planted out bare-rooted roses a few weeks ago, with all the mild
weather and rain since, most of the buds left after pruning the roses hard
are now breakting or are about to. The leading stems are only 3 - 4 inches
in length with all the buds along their lemgths now breaking. I don't think
I've seen a winter in the UK before where roses refuse to become dormant

I'm concerned that when the hard frost eventually arrives these new laterals
will be killed off and subssequent die-back might extend back to the graft
union, killing these roses...Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

If you do get a hard frost, can you cover them in some way,
temporarily? Make a polythene tent? How many have you?

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-12-2013, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-28 12:57:11 +0000, Frank Booth said:

Having planted out bare-rooted roses a few weeks ago, with all the mild
weather and rain since, most of the buds left after pruning the roses hard
are now breakting or are about to. The leading stems are only 3 - 4 inches
in length with all the buds along their lemgths now breaking. I don't think
I've seen a winter in the UK before where roses refuse to become dormant

I'm concerned that when the hard frost eventually arrives these new laterals
will be killed off and subssequent die-back might extend back to the graft
union, killing these roses...Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Even if they get frosted, they may well have another go at setting buds
later, depending on which variety they are and where you're located.
It has been an extraordinary autumn, just as it was an extraordinarily
cold spring. It's taken a longer time than usual for things to lose
their leaves and be ready to be lifted and sold as bare root and now
with 'warm' soil and warmer weather in some places, they're starting to
think it's spring. You might not get a good show next year if the roses
don't get a good spell of cold-weather dormancy but the plants
themselves are unlikely to suffer long-term.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-12-2013, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-28 12:57:11 +0000, Frank Booth said:

Even if they get frosted, they may well have another go at setting buds
later, depending on which variety they are and where you're located.
It has been an extraordinary autumn, just as it was an extraordinarily
cold spring. It's taken a longer time than usual for things to lose
their leaves and be ready to be lifted and sold as bare root and now
with 'warm' soil and warmer weather in some places, they're starting to
think it's spring. You might not get a good show next year if the roses
don't get a good spell of cold-weather dormancy but the plants
themselves are unlikely to suffer long-term.

Yes.The roses are hybrid teas and floribundas It's the potential die-back
that concerns me. After planting I pruned hard beginning of December. There
were only 3 -4 visible buds below each cut after pruning and they are now
all breaking or about to. If all these buds/shoots get frosted and die,
where are new buds going to come from? I don't think new buds will replace
the old ones in the same place if they get replaced at all..

Old 28-12-2013, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-28 12:57:11 +0000, Frank Booth said:

[...]

This shows why you shouldn't prune till the worst of the winter is over.
In most woody plants you get more than one bud in each leaf joint for
just such an occurrence, you have the primary bud which is the one that
usually grows, then there is also a secondary bud which will develop if
something happens to the primary bud.
Look at the illustration in the following.
http://www.fruit.cornell.edu/grape/p...njurybuds.html
David @ a wind free side of Swansea Bay
Old 29-12-2013, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-28 12:57:11 +0000, Frank Booth said:

[...]

I do remember an old gardener telling me, years ago, never to deadhead
Hydrangeas until all danger of frost is past. The theory was that the
heads helped to protecting the new emerging leaf buds. This wasn't much
of a problem where I was gardening at that time but he came from
Yorkshire, iirc.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-12-2013, 12:38 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
On 2013-12-28 12:57:11 +0000, Frank Booth said:

[...]

Cornell Fruit
David @ a wind free side of Swansea Bay
My mother's advice on rose pruning was that if you pruned in early winter, they'd put out new growth which would get frosted, and if you pruned in spring, the bushes would rock more in the winter winds, hollowing out a cavity in the soil where water would collect and rot their roots. It all depended on whetehr you thought spring frosts or winter winds and clayey soil were more of a danger where you were!

I've seen advice to cut back a bit in autumn to avoid wind rock, then to prune properly in spring.

back to the OPs question - die back from frost will set back growth a bit, but a healthy rose has a strong desire to live and a good capacity to continue to put out shoots.
__________________
Old 29-12-2013, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 2013-12-28 12:57:11 +0000, Frank Booth said:

[...]

Bury the crowns, like the others I don't think frost will do too much damage
but there is no reason not to plant roses more deeply and let the variety
stems make their own roots.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 30-12-2013, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, December 28, 2013 12:57:11 PM UTC, Frank Booth Snr wrote:
Having planted out bare-rooted roses a few weeks ago, with all the mild

weather and rain since, most of the buds left after pruning the roses hard

are now breakting or are about to. The leading stems are only 3 - 4 inches

in length with all the buds along their lemgths now breaking. I don't think

I've seen a winter in the UK before where roses refuse to become dormant

I'm concerned that when the hard frost eventually arrives these new laterals

will be killed off and subssequent die-back might extend back to the graft

union, killing these roses...Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Are you worrying unnecessarily? Yes - there will almost certainly lower buds not visible.
But as Charlie has said it is good practice to plant with the union about 2"
down so those lowest buds will be protected and that union will remain below ground after it has settled.
If the union is above ground the plant will be vulnerable to wind rock which can damage roots severely and promote suckering.

Rod