Old 30-12-2013, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default animal id please

In article , kay.d369276
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Gosh! What a lot of replies!

It was the urg Christmas quiz :-) No cigar, then.

Not any of those.

Water vole - tail too long, and it was light silver grey
weasel - too fat and stationary
polecat/ferret - body too short, tail much thinner
stoat - body too short
otter - tail too thin
squirrel - it was not a mangey tail, it was a perfectly well-formed thin
tail, like a rat or mouse.

The closest I can think of is a degu. While it's not totally impossible
(it's also a residential area, and there's a nearby petshop), rat is
still looking the best bet.

I had to google degu, never heard of them before. See what you learn
on usenet..

Janet
Old 30-12-2013, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-30 10:18:12 +0000, kay said:

'Nick Maclaren[_3_ Wrote:
;996843']In article ,
Christina Websell
wrote:-

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-12-2013, 05:51 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I had to google degu, never heard of them before. See what you learn
on usenet..
They're lovely! They're busy and active and apparently intelligent, while all the time chirrupping to each other like guinea pigs.
__________________
Old 30-12-2013, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote
, kay said:

'Nick Maclaren Wrote:
,
Christina Websell wrote:-

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of a
medium dog.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-12-2013, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-30 18:09:58 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote
, kay said:

'Nick Maclaren Wrote:
,
Christina Websell wrote:-

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of a
medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-12-2013, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-30 18:09:58 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote
, kay said:

'Nick Maclaren Wrote:
,
Christina Websell wrote:-

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of
a medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey
Old 31-12-2013, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-30 18:09:58 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of
a medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

Or a Rat-Tailed Rutabaga!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-12-2013, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
David Hill wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Bob Hobden said:

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of
a medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

Or a Rat-Tailed Rutabaga!

Have you ever grown any?

Or an escaped Gilberts Potoroo. Probably a touch unlikely though seeing as
it's well on the endangered list. :-)

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-12-2013, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-30 18:09:58 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote
, kay said:

'Nick Maclaren Wrote:
,
Christina Websell wrote:-

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of
a medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

One of those mini-pigsā€¦.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-12-2013, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-31 12:39:17 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
David Hill wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Bob Hobden said:

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of
a medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

Or a Rat-Tailed Rutabaga!

Have you ever grown any?

Or an escaped Gilberts Potoroo. Probably a touch unlikely though seeing
as it's well on the endangered list. :-)

It sounds like a hideous disease!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-12-2013, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

Or a Rat-Tailed Rutabaga!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I thought that was a type of American Camper van.
Old 31-12-2013, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
David Hill wrote:

http://www.potoroo.org/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-12-2013, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-31 16:48:13 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
David Hill wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Bob Hobden said:

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of
a medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

Or a Rat-Tailed Rutabaga!

Have you ever grown any?

Or an escaped Gilberts Potoroo. Probably a touch unlikely though seeing
as it's well on the endangered list. :-)

It sounds like a hideous disease!

http://www.potoroo.org/

That's enchanting, so I hope it's not what Kay saw and is safely tucked
up somewhere.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-12-2013, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
David Hill wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Bob Hobden said:

[...]

If you think that's cute how about a Quokka...

http://www.rottnestisland.com/about/flora-fauna/quokkas

Sorry, I'm having an Ozzy marsupial day.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.