Old 04-01-2014, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flowering on New Year's day

On 2014-01-03 23:02:04 +0000, Martin said:
[color=blue][i]
On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 22:27:48 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 03/01/2014 14:50, kay wrote:

'Spider[_3_ Wrote:
;996967']On 02/01/2014 16:59, kay wrote:-

(Heavily pruned!)
Pale blue thing in forget-me-not family whose name I can't remember.

-
This is teasing my brain! It could be:-
Pulmonaria ... Omphalodes ... Brunnera ... Borage ... Myosotis (of
course!). I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can think of for
now.
Does any of that help?
-

Omphalodes, I think. That was the name that was buzzing around in my
head, but I didn't have time to check when I posted. It came with some
seed packet of mixed annuals which I sowed very late.

Good. Nice to get an id. Charming plants.

Tresco is the winner
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-weather.html

Whoops! Should have read this first. I've just posted on that. It's
astonishing how much is in flower, even for Tresco!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-01-2014, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-03 15:37:37 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message

SFA

Apart from a couple of troughs of winter pansies!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

You beat me though :-)

Bill

Better late than never! Today in the garden we have flowering, a
variegated Lamium, Fuchsia microphylla, Rhododendron Christmas Cheer,
Lonicera purpusii, Viburnum tinus, Sarcococca confusa, Sarcococca
Purple Stem, a single unknown white Camellia with a very small flower,
Mahonia lomarifolia, Mahonia Winter Sun, Mahonia baileyii, Berberis
Darwinii, unknown Berberis, a white lace cap Hydrangea which is more
holding on than actually flowering and the same for a mobcap Hydrangea,
Salvia confertiflora also holding on, Nemesia Bluebird, Camellia
Cherub, Camellia sasanqua Narumigata, Jasminum nudiflorum, Chaenomeles
Knaphill Scarlet, white Vinca, Clematis balearica, Hamamelis mollis,
Daphne laureola philippi, winter Heliotrope, Lonicera tartarica, a Bay
tree, Buddleia officinalis, (we think) Euonymus hamiltonianus, Pieris
Mountain Fire, low-growing cream flowered Comfrey, probably
C.officinale, Mahonia Charity.
Some of these are flowering quite profusely, others are just holding on
like the Hydrangeas and others like Lonicera tartarica are slowly
building to flowering more strongly.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message

Two hellebores, one reddish purple and one pinkish white
Ceanothus
Hebe Great Orme
Daphne bholua Jacqueline Postill
Senecio greyii

Janet Isle of Arran

I have only just repaired the damage from two lightening strikes and didn't
manage a camera patrol of the garden, but I couldn't help but notice the
mass of purple on Tibouchina urvilleana, cant be bad for January!!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 04-01-2014, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:41:04 PM UTC, Janet wrote:
Two hellebores, one reddish purple and one pinkish white

Ceanothus

Hebe Great Orme

Daphne bholua Jacqueline Postill

Senecio greyii

Janet Isle of Arran

Sarcocca confusa
Hamamellis x intermedia 'Moonlight'
Mahonia 'Charity'
Ericas - various carneas and hybrids
Cyclamen coum
Helleborus niger 'Potter's Wheel'
Sundry polyanthus -a bit manky
Roses - remnants not worth a look
Rose 'Aloaha'

Rod
Old 04-01-2014, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-04 17:32:34 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

"Janet" wrote in message

Two hellebores, one reddish purple and one pinkish white
Ceanothus
Hebe Great Orme
Daphne bholua Jacqueline Postill
Senecio greyii

Janet Isle of Arran

I have only just repaired the damage from two lightening strikes and
didn't manage a camera patrol of the garden, but I couldn't help but
notice the mass of purple on Tibouchina urvilleana, cant be bad for
January!!

Astonishing! Hope you're both/all okay after a lightning strike - bit scary!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com