Old 06-01-2014, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The excitement!

That £10 Dendrobium I bought from Morrison seems to be putting out a
new shoot from the base of a previous flowering shoot that had been cut
back. And it's still covered in flowers.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-01-2014, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/01/2014 16:57, Sacha wrote:
That £10 Dendrobium I bought from Morrison seems to be putting out a new
shoot from the base of a previous flowering shoot that had been cut
back. And it's still covered in flowers.

Oh Lucky you, Sacha! Mine usually die after the first flowering. Any
new canes are so spindly they're unlikely to support anything, let alone
lots of flowers. I should read up on them before buying another. I
probably need to give them a more nitrogenous feed. Hope yours
continues to flower well.

Fortunately, my other orchids are doing well. I have some gorgeous
Paphiopedilums in bloom at the moment. They're amazing! I do recommend
them if you have a spare window sill.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 06-01-2014, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-06 18:32:09 +0000, Spider said:

On 06/01/2014 16:57, Sacha wrote:
That £10 Dendrobium I bought from Morrison seems to be putting out a new
shoot from the base of a previous flowering shoot that had been cut
back. And it's still covered in flowers.

Oh Lucky you, Sacha! Mine usually die after the first flowering. Any
new canes are so spindly they're unlikely to support anything, let
alone lots of flowers. I should read up on them before buying another.
I probably need to give them a more nitrogenous feed. Hope yours
continues to flower well.

Fortunately, my other orchids are doing well. I have some gorgeous
Paphiopedilums in bloom at the moment. They're amazing! I do
recommend them if you have a spare window sill.

Thanks, Spider. I'll keep a careful eye on this new shoot to see how it
develops. At present, it's not even an inch long, just a little green
'nose' emerging. The orchids I have (3 others) are the more well
known Phalaeonopsis we see at e.g. M&S. I've coaxed 2 into
re-flowering by doing absolutely nothing, other than watering very
occasionally and otherwise ignoring them. The one that isn't flowering
is putting out new leaves but may be too hot. It's on an east facing
window sill in a bathroom but above a radiator, though I do have a bowl
of water right beside it. Otoh, one of those that flowered was on a
west facing window sill in the kitchen, not far from the Aga, so…!
With regard to the Dendrobium, my take on it was that at £10, it would
last longer than a bunch of flowers - and it has, of course - and that
it would give me the interest of seeing whether it would produce again.
We shall see!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-01-2014, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/01/2014 18:59, sacha wrote:
On 2014-01-06 18:32:09 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

I'm hoping that now that I have the new greenhouses up I can use the
smaller 8x12 as a propagating house, I've put in a heated bench for 30
trays and want to keep it warmer than my present Prop house so I can
also keep orchids in it, so the question is "Is it better to have them
on a flat bench or on tiered staging"?
Then I hope to re-flower some of mine.
Years ago I did have a cymbidium that flowered for 3 years on the trot.
David @ a yet again windy side of Swansea Bay but so far nothing over 66mph