Old 07-01-2014, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blue sky and hail

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 16:30:50 +0000, sacha wrote:

I suppose a tramp off into the snow drifts is the answer.

If it's cold enough that a cup of hot water freezes before it hits
the ground I don't think I want to be bearing the tip of my bit to
it, let alone squating in a snow drift!

There is also the "I am just going outside and may be some time".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/01/2014 21:56, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 16:30:50 +0000, sacha wrote:

I suppose a tramp off into the snow drifts is the answer.

If it's cold enough that a cup of hot water freezes before it hits
the ground I don't think I want to be bearing the tip of my bit to
it, let alone squating in a snow drift!

There is also the "I am just going outside and may be some time".

Talking to my wife's Daughter in Hamilton Ontario was saying it's been
down to around -30c and they have around 18 inches of snow.
Not a lot of fun.
But if you think that's cold, try this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...an-hamlet.html

David @ an almost calm side of Swansea Bay
Old 07-01-2014, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/7/2014 4:08 PM, David Hill wrote:
On 07/01/2014 19:42, S Viemeister wrote:
On 1/7/2014 1:28 PM, David Hill wrote:
I remember seeing a house on one of the Property progs that was build by
the river but on a raft of something like 4ft of polystyrene so when the
ground flooded the house floated, held in place by strong posts at the
corners.
This is another idea along these lines.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...-welsh-2731149

My grandparents' house in Edinburgh backs onto the Water of Leith - it
(the house) has a raft-type foundation.

My memories of Leith are from My fathers ship being in dock there, and
depending on which way the wind was blowing you had the smell from the
distillery, from the sewage on the beach or a pile of old car tires that
were always burning.
That was in the 50's

You'd find the Leith waterfront unrecognisable now! Full of yuppie wine
bars...
My granny's younger brother captained a small merchant vessel which
often docked in Leith.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/7/2014 4:16 PM, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...
On 07/01/2014 19:42, S Viemeister wrote:
My grandparents' house in Edinburgh backs onto the Water of Leith -
it(the house) has a raft-type foundation.

My memories of Leith are from My fathers ship being in dock there,

It's highly unlikely your father's ship was docked in the Water of
Leith.

The WoL does eventually reach Leith, though.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/01/2014 22:23, David Hill wrote:
On 07/01/2014 21:56, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 16:30:50 +0000, sacha wrote:

I suppose a tramp off into the snow drifts is the answer.

If it's cold enough that a cup of hot water freezes before it hits
the ground I don't think I want to be bearing the tip of my bit to
it, let alone squating in a snow drift!

There is also the "I am just going outside and may be some time".

Talking to my wife's Daughter in Hamilton Ontario was saying it's been
down to around -30c and they have around 18 inches of snow.
Not a lot of fun.
But if you think that's cold, try this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...an-hamlet.html

David @ an almost calm side of Swansea Bay

Thank you for that link David. Almost unbeleiveable. As someone who
can't handle cold, I wonder if -10C actually 'feels' different to -50C?
--
Pete C
adventure before dementure

Old 08-01-2014, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-07 11:33:51 +0000, Martin said:

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 10:59:58 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

This weather is *weird*! We've just had a big downpour of hail,
there's a large patch of blue sky, some cloud and a large patch of
black sky. Early this morning there was a thunderstorm and a power
cut. I am so sorry for those poor people who are flooded and can see
no end to all this.

Even worse are the people who are flooded every year and politicians
doing
nothing about it except talking.

I think they have to hand over money and autonomy to local authorities
who will dredge, dig culverts or do whatever has to be done but with
local knowledge. I don't think this sort of disaster aversion can be
controlled from Whitehall. I don't actually know how it's managed now,
other than by a lot of jaw action, as you say. But 'give us the tools
and we'll do the job' does seem to be the only sensible management.

But above all, it should be made illegal to build on, or close to, flood
plains. Driving to Bridgwater last week we saw acres upon acre of lakes
that should have been fields and we heard this morning that the train
line is flooded again near Taunton, I think. So no trains into the
further reaches of the peninsula! I cannot begin to imagine what it
would be like to be on a train near Dawlish now anyway, if the trains
from this side are running!

I can't see giving the "Locals" the money to carry out flood prevention
would be of any great advantage.
It's these people who have given planning permission in the first
place to build on flood plains.
I remember seeing a house on one of the Property progs that was build
by the river but on a raft of something like 4ft of polystyrene so when
the ground flooded the house floated, held in place by strong posts at
the corners.
This is another idea along these lines.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...-welsh-2731149

That house build stirs a memory with me. I was suggesting handing
money to the locals in the hope that allhad now learned that building
on flood plains and concreting over the land, is not an entirely
desirable solution. I don't pretend to have a solution and I don't
think there's an easy one. But I don't think some MP/Minister from
Yorkshire can truly know the problems around e.g. Taunton or Salcombe,
Lynmouth, Boscastle or Looe.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-01-2014, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

That house build stirs a memory with me. I was suggesting handing money
to the locals in the hope that allhad now learned that building on flood
plains and concreting over the land, is not an entirely desirable
solution. I don't pretend to have a solution and I don't think there's
an easy one. But I don't think some MP/Minister from Yorkshire can
truly know the problems around e.g. Taunton or Salcombe, Lynmouth,
Boscastle or Looe.

When I was looking into the grade of Water retaining polymer I needed
for my compost I was talking to one of the technical bods from one firm,
he said work is going on to incorporate the polymer into grass verges
etc. to absorb the rain and slow down run off. and so reduce the sudden
rush of flood water.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

Yorkshire also has flooding and cliff erosion problems. It seems that such
problems get far more publicity from the media, when they happen in the
south of
England. In December the sea went over the sea defences in Scarborough
flooding
all the buildings on the seafront including the lifeboat building. The small
RNLI lifeboat had to be rescued to stop it being washed out to sea. The
large
lifeboat parked on a trailer was unusable. Fishermen had to jump into their
boats to stop them being wrecked on the breakwater, which was covered by the
tidal surge. I've only seen this mentioned in a local newspaper.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

110% correct, but even the South looks to the South. Little story for you to
show just how correct you are.

The Isle of Wight is in the main a Tourist Area, so of course we have a
Tourist Board. And this Tourist Board advertises the Isle of Wight as a
place to visit.

Where did they do a big campaign?

Dorset and Hampshire.

I kid you not.

Industrial Midlands? Scotland? Home Counties? Wales? North East?

'There's nothing North of The Watford Gap'

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

Old 08-01-2014, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-08 10:14:24 +0000, Martin said:
snipSee 6.34 PM
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1085...ooded_tonight/

Complete & utter misery. It's just dreadful.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post
Even worse are the people who are flooded every year and politicians doing
nothing about it except talking.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland
They have a valid complaint if it floods every year because they live in a place the government protects and the flood defences were not appropriately maintained.

But actually we have a problem in this country that a lot of irresponsible people built houses in places where it would inevitably flood, expecting the government to sort them out. I don't want my taxes spent on sorting out such irresponsible people. Once it is clear that insurers are free to refuse to insure new properties built in irresponsible locations (we are moving in that direction but aren't quite there yet), then the builders will realise that houses build in irresponsible locations are unsaleable, and will stop building them.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:34:24 +0100, Martin wrote:

Yorkshire also has flooding and cliff erosion problems. It seems that
such problems get far more publicity from the media, when they happen in
the south of England.

There was minimal coverage of that storm surge (biggest for decades)
because some old fart had finally died in a foreign country ...

In December the sea went over the sea defences in Scarborough flooding
all the buildings on the seafront including the lifeboat building.

Not to mention Newcastle and Middlesbrough and countless other places
all down the east coast.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/01/2014 21:45, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 16:12:56 +0000, Spider wrote:

Heard on the lunchtime news about 500 odd people stuck
in three trains in a snow bound USA for over 14 hours!

How truly horrible. I wonder if they had any heat or food!

I would like to think so considering how blooming cold bits of the US
of A are. Cold that you really don't want to get involved with. I
wonder if everyone would stay spread out down the train in their
seats or would some one suggest all getting together in one or two
coaches to keep each other mutually warm? The ones on the outside
rotating with those on the inside every few hours. Pick coaches next
to the engine if that is still running and disconnect the tail of the
train so only those coaches that need to be heated/lit are.

I'd be more worried about needing a toilet!

Trains have loos but they might get a bit yuky after a while but when
you gotta go, you gotta go ...

The local trains I've travelled on rarely have a loo, yukky or
otherwise. Drinks are avoided ;~)

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 08-01-2014, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/01/2014 08:58, David Hill wrote:
That house build stirs a memory with me. I was suggesting handing money
to the locals in the hope that allhad now learned that building on flood
plains and concreting over the land, is not an entirely desirable
solution. I don't pretend to have a solution and I don't think there's
an easy one. But I don't think some MP/Minister from Yorkshire can
truly know the problems around e.g. Taunton or Salcombe, Lynmouth,
Boscastle or Looe.

When I was looking into the grade of Water retaining polymer I needed
for my compost I was talking to one of the technical bods from one firm,
he said work is going on to incorporate the polymer into grass verges
etc. to absorb the rain and slow down run off. and so reduce the sudden
rush of flood water.

If this is the same as the water retaining granules sold to gardeners,
it will be lethal. Once wetted, the granules are intensely slippery.
Not ideal for roadside verges, surely.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 08-01-2014, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/01/2014 18:59, Spider wrote:
[...]

The key word is Incorporated, by mixing it into the soil in the top 9 to
12 inches it will absorb a lot of water that would otherwise run
straight off.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 18:55:31 +0000, Spider wrote:

Trains have loos but they might get a bit yuky after a while but

when
you gotta go, you gotta go ...

The local trains I've travelled on rarely have a loo, yukky or
otherwise. Drinks are avoided ;~)

The local multiple unit trains I've been on have had loos but they
were civilised UK ones, not ones in the US. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.