Old 08-01-2014, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse vents

Can anyone tell me the most common cause of failure of automatic vent
openers please.
--
Pete C
adventure before dementure
Old 09-01-2014, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 22:47:14 +0000, Pete C
wrote:

Can anyone tell me the most common cause of failure of automatic vent
openers please.

Not sure about other peoples, but in my case it was lack of maintence
and cleaning, they were automatic so I just forgot them, next time I
will look after them better.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:

Can anyone tell me the most common cause of failure of automatic vent
openers please.

Possibly leakage of fluid from the operating capsule.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote ...

Pete C wrote:

Can anyone tell me the most common cause of failure of automatic vent
openers please.

Possibly leakage of fluid from the operating capsule.

That has always been the reason for failure of mine. Seals go, oil leaks
out, broken.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/01/2014 22:47, Pete C wrote:
Can anyone tell me the most common cause of failure of automatic vent
openers please.

The seals tend to go. I suspect hard winter frosts cause them some grief
too. Mine lasted longer when the greenhouse was heated.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 09-01-2014, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/01/2014 22:47, Pete C wrote:
Can anyone tell me the most common cause of failure of automatic vent
openers please.

If the vent window jams, the auto mechanism will destroy itself (the
immovable object meeting the irresistible force! But the latter will
prove to be resistible, I'm afraid). In the end either the seals will
go, or something will distort.

I've only had one auto vent opener fail in over 30 years, and that was
through a jammed window.

By the way, be /very/ careful if you do find the window has jammed. If
the auto opener is still working, and the window suddenly comes loose,
it will be flung open with extreme force. If the opener fixing comes
off the window, the window is likely to pivot all the way back onto the
roof glass, or come loose completely if you are very unlucky.

--

Jeff
Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

The seals tend to go. I suspect hard winter frosts cause them some grief
too. Mine lasted longer when the greenhouse was heated.

I take the cylinder in for the winter (not going to need venting, and on a
rare bright day, we open the door from "office" to the greenhouse and get
some free heat), and tie the vent shut so winds won't flap it about. We'll
see how much this helps their longevity.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for replies. No sign of leakage, so cleaned and greased. Tried
under hot/cold taps....no movement.

greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 06:20 PM
Auto vents? Jan Edible Gardening 2 27-03-2003 02:56 AM