Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Jon

Default Wild Garlic

Does anyone have any advice on wild garlic? It grows profusely here,
but I don't know if I can do anything worthwhile with it. Can the
young shoots be used early in the season? Anything? It smells
wonderful when you stand on it:-)
Jonny
Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Stephen Howard

D'you mean Ramsons - the broad leaved wild garlic with the little
sprays of white flowers?
The leaves are great in salads, or chopped and used like chives in
other dishes.

It's a wonderful smell in the wild - in this part of Hants there's
tons of 'em growing away merrily.
Only problem is, once they go over they start whiffing a bit - and
en-masse it's a bit of a stench.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 06-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Colin Davidson

Pick the leaves sparingly, and add them to salads, sandwiches, etc. Chop them fine and use them like chives or garlic in cooking. I've often wrapped small chickens with them (with a bit of butter), wrapped them in foil, and roasted them. Or add them to potato soup. One of the best wild foods, very versatile.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Gary Woods

Stephen Howard wrote:

D'you mean Ramsons - the broad leaved wild garlic with the little
sprays of white flowers?

Those sound very much like what are called "Ramps" over here. In the
spring, people dig them from semi-shady wooded spots and chop the little
bulbs for various dishes. There are even Ramp festivals down in the
Appalachian mountains of Virginia and Tennessee. A friend knows of a nice
patch of them, and gave me a bagful last spring. The very few I didn't eat
took hold nicely along a path to the pond. Those concerned with the social
graces probably ought to eschew them. This has never been my problem!

The spring-scented,

Old 06-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Essjay001

And as wild flowers surely they are protected.

Old 06-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Anthony E Anson

And as wild flowers surely they are protected.

I don't think they are. Not all wild flowers are protected.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 06-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Anthony E Anson

Hmmm. Been trying to lay my hands on some ransomes for yonks, Jon -
could you save me some seeds when they're ready, please?

Old 06-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 6 May 2003 17:33:28 +0000 (UTC), "Essjay001"
wrote:

And as wild flowers surely they are protected.

As part of the Wildlife & Country Act ( blah, blah, etc. ) they'd at
least be protected from being dug up without the permission of the
landowner.

The act further specifies a number of rare plants that may not be
picked etc. Ramsons aren't on that list.
Picking the leaves won't worry the Ramsons too much - I've seen whole
stands get obliterated under a tractor's wheel, and yet they're back
the next year as pungent as ever.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 07-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

And as wild flowers surely they are protected.

As part of the Wildlife & Country Act ( blah, blah, etc. ) they'd at
least be protected from being dug up without the permission of the
landowner.

It is illegal to do so. Whether that counts as protection is a
very different matter.

The act further specifies a number of rare plants that may not be
picked etc. Ramsons aren't on that list.
Picking the leaves won't worry the Ramsons too much - I've seen whole
stands get obliterated under a tractor's wheel, and yet they're back
the next year as pungent as ever.

Nor will removing a domestic quantity of bulbs. The law is an
extension of the enclosure acts and game laws, and has little to
do with conservation.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Stephen Howard

Nor will removing a domestic quantity of bulbs. The law is an extension of the enclosure acts and game laws, and has little to do with conservation.

Certainly looks that way, regrettably.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 07-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Kay Easton

And as wild flowers surely they are protected.

I don't think they are. Not all wild flowers are protected.

They are - it is an offence to take any plant without permission of the
landowner, and I can't offhand think of any bit of the UK, apart from
perhaps below the high tide mark, that isn't owned by *someone*
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 07-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

| They are - it is an offence to take any plant without permission of the landowner, and I can't offhand think of any bit of the UK, apart from perhaps below the high tide mark, that isn't owned by *someone*

That is owned by "The Crown".

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Colin Davidson

"Anthony E Anson" wrote in message
.. Been trying to lay my hands on some ransomes for yonks, Jon -
could you save me some seeds when they're ready, please?

I bought seeds from Nickys Nursery last year. Irritatingly enough I couldn't
get the blighters to germinate.

Old 07-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Colin Davidson

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

And as wild flowers surely they are protected.

I don't think they are. Not all wild flowers are protected.

They are - it is an offence to take any plant without permission of the
landowner, and I can't offhand think of any bit of the UK, apart from
perhaps below the high tide mark, that isn't owned by *someone*

Depends on where you mean. A lot of land owned by the crown has public
access, and anything you can get to from said access is considered fair
game. Otherwise kids picking blackberries would be illegal, picking
mushrooms, etc, would be illegal!

It's more important to know what you're picking and how to avoid damaging
what's there, IMHO.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Supplier of Wild Garlic wanted ??? gray bale United Kingdom 2 20-06-2003 08:20 PM
Wild Garlic and back to bluebells non-scripta Hussein M. United Kingdom 2 09-05-2003 06:46 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
wild garlic/onion. Terry Lynton United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 02:09 AM