Old 24-01-2014, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sad day for Guernsey

The island's tomato production has almost ground to a halt and it used
to be its lifeblood. Thank goodness for the finance industry and I
never thought I'd hear myself say that! Anthony Le Page who employs 15
workers on his 2ha glasshouses in the Vale is closing down. The stretch
of water between England and the islands is one of the significant
causes. About 50 years ago, the tomato growing employed more than half
the island's population.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-01-2014, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/01/2014 10:39, Sacha wrote:
The island's tomato production has almost ground to a halt and it used
to be its lifeblood. Thank goodness for the finance industry and I never
thought I'd hear myself say that! Anthony Le Page who employs 15 workers
on his 2ha glasshouses in the Vale is closing down. The stretch of water
between England and the islands is one of the significant causes. About
50 years ago, the tomato growing employed more than half the island's
population.

Life doesn't stand still. One has to move with the times including
tomato growers.
Old 24-01-2014, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-24 11:40:57 +0000, Saxman said:

On 24/01/2014 10:39, Sacha wrote:
The island's tomato production has almost ground to a halt and it used
to be its lifeblood. Thank goodness for the finance industry and I never
thought I'd hear myself say that! Anthony Le Page who employs 15 workers
on his 2ha glasshouses in the Vale is closing down. The stretch of water
between England and the islands is one of the significant causes. About
50 years ago, the tomato growing employed more than half the island's
population.

Life doesn't stand still. One has to move with the times including
tomato growers.

Indeed but it's still sad. Another British industry hits the buffers
though this dwindling of that growing has been going on for years in
Guernsey. That doesn't mean it isn't a shame for the island and for
those of us who would like to buy British produce that actually tastes
of something.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-01-2014, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/01/2014 12:30, Sacha wrote:
On 2014-01-24 11:40:57 +0000, Saxman said:

[...]

I wonder how much the Grow your own lobby has affected things over say,
20 years. As you say taste is important. I haven't bought shop tomatoes
with 'taste' for years.

--
Pete C
adventure before dementure
Old 24-01-2014, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-24 11:40:57 +0000, Saxman said:

[...]

I don't think it's had a really huge effect, though we do see veg plant
sales rising year on year. But the Guernsey tom industry was really
huge. It was badly hit by rising oil prices and by refrigerated
containerisation bringing food in from all over the world. Every so
often, I have a longing for tomatoes because I really love them and I
buy some. I must be the definition of an optimist because I'm
disappointed every single time and still I try occasionally!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-01-2014, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-24 11:40:57 +0000, Saxman said:

[...]

Only the largest growers are surviving in The Netherlands too. One has set up
business in UK in Kent.

Dutch tomatoes taste of absolutely nothing. It makes me wonder how on
earth they go on selling!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-01-2014, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-24 11:40:57 +0000, Saxman said:

[...]

The shop sold cherry tomatoes have lots of taste. The days of large mushy
tasteless shop tomatoes are long gone.

For some reason, Ray doesn't like the cherry ones. I think they're fine
but do admit they don't taste the same as the larger types. We grow
the Tumbler variety in hanging baskets for the Tea Room and for
ourselves and every so often you see someone walking past and snaffling
one. They can be eaten like sweeties but the flavour is definitely
quite different.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-01-2014, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-24 11:40:57 +0000, Saxman said:

[...]

Aldi Picollini tomatoes DO taste of something, but not cheap. I've given
up all other types
Old 25-01-2014, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/01/2014 22:37, Martin wrote:

Transport costs must have a negative effect on Guernsey tomato producers.

The Dutch tomato business nearly went bust because it produced tasteless large
tomatoes. It switched to producing main;y tasty cherry tomatoes.

In my local Co-op the other day there were mushrooms from Poland and
asparagus from Peru.
Old 25-01-2014, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-24 11:40:57 +0000, Saxman said:

[...]

I don't know where our nearest Aldi is but I'll look. Thanks for that tip.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-01-2014, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-25 10:09:06 +0000, Saxman said:

On 24/01/2014 22:37, Martin wrote:

Transport costs must have a negative effect on Guernsey tomato producers.

The Dutch tomato business nearly went bust because it produced tasteless large
tomatoes. It switched to producing main;y tasty cherry tomatoes.

In my local Co-op the other day there were mushrooms from Poland and
asparagus from Peru.

And the asparagus isn't worth it, imo. I believe it's also brought in
from Thailand. I'd rather wait for the short but infinitely more
delightful English asparagus season!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-01-2014, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/01/2014 10:39, Sacha wrote:
The island's tomato production has almost ground to a halt and it used
to be its lifeblood. Thank goodness for the finance industry and I never
thought I'd hear myself say that! Anthony Le Page who employs 15 workers
on his 2ha glasshouses in the Vale is closing down. The stretch of water
between England and the islands is one of the significant causes. About
50 years ago, the tomato growing employed more than half the island's
population.

(This got lost first time I posted it, probably because I've changed
from XP pro to windows 7)

Now, come on Sacha.
It's by no means another British industry hitting the buffers, rather
the tomato industry in the UK is on the up and up, with sites like
Thanet Earth and several mega units using combined heat and power
plants, and waste heat to heat the houses; if you can call those multi
hectare structures houses; to produce all year round tomatoes, and going
by some I bought in Tesco last week #; not those stupid little things;
they had good flavour for winter tomatoes.
When you have these mega houses just down the road so to speak, and not
over some very choppy water, and with production 2 or 3 times per sq
meter than it used to be in "The good old days"it's time for Guernsey to
look for much higher value produce.
I remember in my younger day we used to get £1.00 a pound for the first
tomatoes, but that never lasted more than a couple of weeks, likewise
with the first Strawberries, and that was 50+ years ago. Today no one
would pay the modern equivalent price.
David @ the side of Swansea Bay where it is yet again raining.
Old 25-01-2014, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-24 11:40:57 +0000, Saxman said:

[...]

There's no problem with the taste with the ones we buy here.

You can probably grow the perfect looking and perfect tasting tomato
hydroponically anywhere in the world, but at a cost. The perception is
(or was maybe) that UK consumers don't care about taste.
I only ever buy apples from market stalls nowadays. Odd shapes and mixed
varieties but they usually taste fine.
Old 25-01-2014, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 10:09:06 +0000, Saxman
wrote:

On 24/01/2014 22:37, Martin wrote:

Transport costs must have a negative effect on Guernsey tomato producers.

The Dutch tomato business nearly went bust because it produced tasteless large
tomatoes. It switched to producing main;y tasty cherry tomatoes.

In my local Co-op the other day there were mushrooms from Poland and
asparagus from Peru.

We tried the imported asparagus. It didn't taste of much at all.

Steve

--
SwingNN prediction software http://www.swingnn.com
JustNN just a neural network http://www.justnn.com

Old 25-01-2014, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-25 10:46:34 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

Oh, all the reasons for the growing industry coming to a natural end
are perfectly logical ones. And the finance industry has taken over in
terms of island prosperity and so forth. I'm having a nostalgic moment.
Do you know which tomatoes you bought from Tesco? I have yet to find
any worth having!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com