Old 25-01-2014, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help to rejuvenate my poorly lawn

My lawn has gradually deteriorated over the years then last month I had
a tree removed. As a result there are 2 sets of tyre marks about 6mm
deep and three holes up to 8mm in depth.
Can I simply fill these holes/hollows with top soil then reseed? Also
the grass itself is in fairly poor state quite weedy and very mossy.
when is the best time to treat the lawn and scarify it? Also are there
any good quality fertilisers/weed/moss killers that readers recommend?
Old 25-01-2014, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

My lawn has gradually deteriorated over the years then last month I had
a tree removed. As a result there are 2 sets of tyre marks about 6mm
deep and three holes up to 8mm in depth.

Are you sure those aren't cm measurements? If not, you must have
a real bowling green of a lawn there to be even able to measure
the dips.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 25-01-2014, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/01/2014 09:01, Broadback wrote:
My lawn has gradually deteriorated over the years then last month I had
a tree removed. As a result there are 2 sets of tyre marks about 6mm
deep and three holes up to 8mm in depth.
Can I simply fill these holes/hollows with top soil then reseed? Also
the grass itself is in fairly poor state quite weedy and very mossy.
when is the best time to treat the lawn and scarify it? Also are there
any good quality fertilisers/weed/moss killers that readers recommend?

I asked roughly the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like dips
up to 25mm can be filled and leveled now and be green again by the Spring.
I made a start on the job last week and, although messy, I won't have to
worry about the re-laid turf drying out.
Old 25-01-2014, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/01/2014 10:44, stuart noble wrote:
On 25/01/2014 09:01, Broadback wrote:
My lawn has gradually deteriorated over the years then last month I had
a tree removed. As a result there are 2 sets of tyre marks about 6mm
deep and three holes up to 8mm in depth.
Can I simply fill these holes/hollows with top soil then reseed? Also
the grass itself is in fairly poor state quite weedy and very mossy.
when is the best time to treat the lawn and scarify it? Also are there
any good quality fertilisers/weed/moss killers that readers recommend?

I asked roughly the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like dips
up to 25mm can be filled and leveled now and be green again by the Spring.
I made a start on the job last week and, although messy, I won't have to
worry about the re-laid turf drying out.

You are correct Chris, it should have been cm
Old 27-01-2014, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/01/2014 09:53, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Broadback wrote:

My lawn has gradually deteriorated over the years then last month I had
a tree removed. As a result there are 2 sets of tyre marks about 6mm
deep and three holes up to 8mm in depth.

Are you sure those aren't cm measurements? If not, you must have
a real bowling green of a lawn there to be even able to measure
the dips.

If it is mm then top dressing will get it in no time. If it is cm then
probably filling them with topsoil and sharp sand 1:1 and reseeding in
spring will be as good and cheap as anything. Autumn weed and feed is a
waste of money. You might gain something by scarifying the existing
thatch and/or punching holes in it with a hollow forked for drainage.

A picture is worth a thousand words here. Grass is quite difficult to
kill although it can get overrun with weeds like dandelions quickly. You
mustn't walk on or apply weed & feed to the newly seeded bits.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

How can I rejuvenate a privet and hawthorn hedge? NW Novice Gardening 1 02-04-2013 12:39 AM
Poorly lawn Lobster United Kingdom 5 15-09-2009 07:26 PM
Please help! My Passiflora is poorly. Peter United Kingdom 6 12-06-2004 07:10 PM
Rejuvenate Soil After Cyprus Firs TheScullster United Kingdom 2 01-05-2003 05:56 PM
Rejuvenate Lily? Frank Solis Gardening 2 03-03-2003 04:29 AM