GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   little conifer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209136-little-conifer.html)

lol 08-02-2014 05:33 PM

little conifer

OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going to grow
and if we can safely leave it

Many thanks,
Lol

'Mike'[_4_] 08-02-2014 05:38 PM

little conifer

Link requires password and username, what are they?

Mike
www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] 08-02-2014 05:46 PM

little conifer

On 08/02/2014 17:38, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 17:33:32 -0000, "lol"
wrote:

OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going to grow
and if we can safely leave it

Many thanks,
Lol

Viewing your pic requires a login and password. Post it somewhere we
can see it unhindered.

s/ftp/http/

It's Cuppressaceae, but that's as far as I can go.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

lol 08-02-2014 05:54 PM

little conifer

"lol" wrote in message ...

OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going to
grow
and if we can safely leave it

Many thanks,
Lol

I see the problem - bliming computer put in ftp instead of http - sorry!
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...dments/fir.jpg

'Mike'[_4_] 08-02-2014 06:28 PM

little conifer

"lol" wrote in message ...

OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going to
grow
and if we can safely leave it

Many thanks,
Lol

I see the problem - bliming computer put in ftp instead of http - sorry!
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...dments/fir.jpg
=====================================

Sorry? Why apologise?

My daughter and son in law have one of these in their garden and the only
problem they have is that one of the main vertical upright stems/branches
has 'fallen out' and has had to be tied back to the main stem.

Space wise? Don't have a clue but one of the 'experts' on this forum will
come and tell you.

Afraid that my daughter and son in law do not have a space problem so it can
grow to some height. Yours appears to be a little different .

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 08-02-2014 06:39 PM

little conifer

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 08/02/2014 17:54, lol wrote:

I see the problem - bliming computer put in ftp instead of http - sorry!
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...dments/fir.jpg

ELLWOODII ??

The trouble is that, even if we were certain of the species,
there are usually very similar-looking varieties that vary
immensely in growth and 'final size'. In some cases, the
latter isn't even known ....

However, most non-dwarf conifers eventually get too big for
small gardens and have to be removed, and the way to estimate
how long before that happens is just to see how fast they
grow!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Saxman[_4_] 08-02-2014 08:27 PM

little conifer

On 08/02/2014 17:33, lol wrote:
OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going to grow
and if we can safely leave it

Many thanks,
Lol

There's no such thing as a 'little' conifer. They all grow very tall,
some slower than others.

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 08-02-2014 09:06 PM

little conifer

In article ,
Saxman wrote:
On 08/02/2014 17:33, lol wrote:
OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going to grow
and if we can safely leave it

There's no such thing as a 'little' conifer. They all grow very tall,
some slower than others.

Er, there are even prostrate conifers that never grow higher than
a few inches!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_11_] 08-02-2014 11:30 PM

little conifer

On 2014-02-08 20:28:24 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 18:30:32 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

"lol" wrote in message ...

OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going to
grow
and if we can safely leave it

Many thanks,
Lol

I see the problem - bliming computer put in ftp instead of http - sorry!
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...dments/fir.jpg

ELLWOODII ??

My thoughts also, or to give it its full name, Chamaecyparis
lawsoniana Ellwoodii, but there are dozens of similar conifers, for
example Juniperus chinensis Pyramidalis.

I showed it to Ray and asked his opinion. He said there are so many
that he wouldn't even start to guess. But unless it's a yew, cutting
into it to reduce or shape it risks an ugly outcome unless it's the
mildest sort of trim that doesn't go back to old wood. Just at a
glance and a guess from current habit, I would say that's going to get
pretty big. But it may well take a long time to do so. Measure it over
a year.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Saxman[_4_] 09-02-2014 08:43 AM

little conifer

On 08/02/2014 21:06, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Saxman wrote:
On 08/02/2014 17:33, lol wrote:
OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going to grow
and if we can safely leave it

There's no such thing as a 'little' conifer. They all grow very tall,
some slower than others.

Er, there are even prostrate conifers that never grow higher than
a few inches!

It was meant to be tongue in cheek, aimed at all those neighbours who
use them as a fence line or plant them outside the front door.

Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] 09-02-2014 09:17 AM

little conifer

On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 20:27:58 +0000, Saxman
wrote:

On 08/02/2014 17:33, lol wrote:
OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going to grow
and if we can safely leave it

Many thanks,
Lol

There's no such thing as a 'little' conifer. They all grow very tall,
some slower than others.

Some conifers only grow a few feet high.

Steve

--
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com
SwingNN Prediction software http://www.swingnn.com

lol 10-02-2014 01:43 PM

little conifer

wrote:

"lol" wrote in message ...

OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going to
grow
and if we can safely leave it

Many thanks,
Lol

I see the problem - bliming computer put in ftp instead of http - sorry!
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...dments/fir.jpg

ELLWOODII ??

My thoughts also, or to give it its full name, Chamaecyparis
lawsoniana Ellwoodii, but there are dozens of similar conifers, for
example Juniperus chinensis Pyramidalis.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Thanks.
I think that may be its death warrant - there are so many much more
interesting, or wildlife friandly plants that could replace it!

Spider[_3_] 10-02-2014 04:59 PM

little conifer

On 08/02/2014 17:33, lol wrote:
OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going to grow
and if we can safely leave it

Many thanks,
Lol

I can't name it off the top of my head, but my immediate neighbour had
one exactly like that. It eventually grew until it was interfering with
the telephone cables. It had to be removed.

If you decide to get rid of yours, make sure there isn't a TPO (Tree
Preservation Order) on it, or you could be fined for chopping it down
without permission.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

David Hill 10-02-2014 05:18 PM

little conifer

On 10/02/2014 16:59, Spider wrote:
On 08/02/2014 17:33, lol wrote:
OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going
to grow
and if we can safely leave it

Many thanks,
Lol

I can't name it off the top of my head, but my immediate neighbour had
one exactly like that. It eventually grew until it was interfering with
the telephone cables. It had to be removed.

If you decide to get rid of yours, make sure there isn't a TPO (Tree
Preservation Order) on it, or you could be fined for chopping it down
without permission.

It annoys me when you see packs of 6 "Miniature" conifers all about 8 to
9 inches tall, but all of which will grow to 10 to 20 ft in the next 10
years.