GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Slugs have no taste (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209143-slugs-have-no-taste.html)

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 09-02-2014 07:43 PM

Slugs have no taste

I am feeding some of my unwelcome guests on Tesco Value bitter
and lager, and they seem to like it. In the interests of science,
I tried a sip of each. The former is vaguely reminiscient of
Grotney's Gaslight, for those who are very ancient, but the
latter is very like sex in a punt (to use the classic description).
Fizzy and wet, and with a vague flavour that I would have been
hard put to identify without knowing what the stuff was sold as.
Still, at 25 pence a shot, it's clearly the Right Stuff - for slugs.

Mainly garden slugs, with some field slugs - the large black and
red slugs do not seem to be active yet. The latter are the ones
that seriously annoy my wife (and me, when I tread on them with
bare feet), but the former are pretty annoying, too. It was last
year that triggered me into creating a dozen slug traps from old
2-litre fizzy drinks bottles (my daughters have low taste in such
things, though much better in real drinks) and some spare roof
tiles.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

David Hill 09-02-2014 07:59 PM

Slugs have no taste

On 09/02/2014 19:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]

and there I was expecting a few cooking ideas Garlic butter, herbs etc.
but not just a marinade for them.

Spider[_3_] 09-02-2014 08:08 PM

Slugs have no taste

[...]

Oh, thank goodness, Nick! I thought for a moment that you'd been eating
the disgusting things. Yuk!

I'm afraid I just give my slugs and snails flying lessons - or should
that be lesions! Heh heh.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Pete C[_2_] 09-02-2014 09:36 PM

Slugs have no taste

[...]

You garden bare foot??

--
Pete C
adventure before dementure

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 09-02-2014 09:53 PM

Slugs have no taste

In article ,
Pete C wrote:

[...]

Well, er, yes - is there another way?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 10-02-2014 08:15 AM

Slugs have no taste

On 09/02/2014 21:53, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,

You garden bare foot??

Well, er, yes - is there another way?

Certainly, if you garden where these grow!
http://www.cactiguide.com/graphics/s_eruca_m_600.jpg

Or, if you like things over-dramatised:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkKyFPJUjtM

--

Jeff

kay 10-02-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete C[_2_] (Post 998437)
You garden bare foot??

If you go around barefoot (which I used to do as a child, gravel and holly leaves notwithstanding), you pay a lot more attention to what your feet are telling you. Even though I normally wear shoes now, I'm more sure-footed than the rest of m family, much less likely to trip over things or step on breakable or obnoxious stuff.

Spider[_3_] 10-02-2014 04:55 PM

Slugs have no taste

On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:

'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
;998437']
You garden bare foot??

If you go around barefoot (which I used to do as a child, gravel and
holly leaves notwithstanding), you pay a lot more attention to what your
feet are telling you. Even though I normally wear shoes now, I'm more
sure-footed than the rest of m family, much less likely to trip over
things or step on breakable or obnoxious stuff.

I agree. I used to go barefoot a lot in my youth and still am fairly
sure-footed. It helps having 8 of course ;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 10-02-2014 05:10 PM

Slugs have no taste

In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
;998437']
You garden bare foot??

If you go around barefoot (which I used to do as a child, gravel and
holly leaves notwithstanding), you pay a lot more attention to what your
feet are telling you. Even though I normally wear shoes now, I'm more
sure-footed than the rest of m family, much less likely to trip over
things or step on breakable or obnoxious stuff.

I agree. I used to go barefoot a lot in my youth and still am fairly
sure-footed. It helps having 8 of course ;~).

Whereas I find it much easier to go barefoot because I am quite the
opposite of sure-footed! With no vestibular (semi-circular canal)
balance, I balance almost entirely by touch through my feet and
proprioreception. But, when I would lose feeling because of the
cold, I simply HAVE to wear boots :-(

But, I quite agree with the attention point - not just consciously,
but in terms of reflexes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Spider[_3_] 10-02-2014 10:31 PM

Slugs have no taste

On 10/02/2014 17:10, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

What a tricky condition to live with. Clearly, you've found a way, but
it must be hard in winter - now, in fact.
In spite of being generally sure-footed, I do suffer with a mild form of
'vertigo' and can suddenly become dizzy. Heights are tricky, too. I
can get dizzy just standing at the kerb waiting to cross a road.
I suppose we all have our little cross to bear.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 10-02-2014 10:51 PM

Slugs have no taste

In article ,
Spider wrote:

[...]

It's tedious, but I am lucky in that I developed it (and deafness)
very young, but in its severe form only after learning to walk and
talk. I cannot remember anything different, and I can (just) ride
a bicycle and ski. Ladders are a real pain, though, as I need one
hand to hold on the whole time, which makes doing anything very
tricky.

In spite of being generally sure-footed, I do suffer with a mild form of
'vertigo' and can suddenly become dizzy. Heights are tricky, too. I
can get dizzy just standing at the kerb waiting to cross a road.
I suppose we all have our little cross to bear.

A huge number of people have balance impairment, as vestibular
function is one of the first things to go as people get older,
and quite a few medical conditions can cause it to degrade
(often permanently).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_11_] 10-02-2014 10:59 PM

Slugs have no taste

Spider wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:
'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

Spider, I too suffer from the sort of vertigo you describe and it's all
down to my neck vertebrae. If you haven't seen a good osteopath, may I
suggest you do. With regular treatment, my vertigo is mostly kept at
bay. Do email me if you'd like to know more.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

David Hill 10-02-2014 11:20 PM

Slugs have no taste

On 09/02/2014 20:08, Spider wrote:
[...]

For those who have been disappointed by the way this thread has gone,
this link may bring it back to what you expected
http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipe...and-cook-slugs

gardenmaturin 11-02-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] (Post 998460)
On 10/02/2014 12:20, kay wrote:

'Pete C[_2_ Wrote:
;998437']
You garden bare foot??

If you go around barefoot (which I used to do as a child, gravel and
holly leaves notwithstanding), you pay a lot more attention to what your
feet are telling you. Even though I normally wear shoes now, I'm more
sure-footed than the rest of m family, much less likely to trip over
things or step on breakable or obnoxious stuff.

I agree. I used to go barefoot a lot in my youth and still am fairly
sure-footed. It helps having 8 of course ;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay

8 FEET.....or toes?

well, either way I suppose!

kay 11-02-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenmaturin (Post 998494)
8 FEET.....or toes?

well, either way I suppose!

You have to remember that Spider is one of those posters who does not use a pseudonym ;-)