Old 12-02-2014, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Foul weather

I cannot imagine what life must be like for those wretched people whose
lives are already a misery. It's blowing strongly here today and the
rain is just chucking it down. Our big lawn gets soggy quickly but so
far has coped very well. But this morning I see that there are puddles
forming round the bases of 3 Wisterias we're growing as standards, so
there's no more being absorbed by the ground, at present. It must be
hellish in Somerset and the Thames Valley, pure nightmare.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-02-2014, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/02/2014 10:37, Sacha wrote:
I cannot imagine what life must be like for those wretched people whose
lives are already a misery. It's blowing strongly here today and the
rain is just chucking it down. Our big lawn gets soggy quickly but so
far has coped very well. But this morning I see that there are puddles
forming round the bases of 3 Wisterias we're growing as standards, so
there's no more being absorbed by the ground, at present. It must be
hellish in Somerset and the Thames Valley, pure nightmare.

We have strong winds and lashing rain at the moment, plus a flash of
lightning just now. Thankfully, living on the side of a steep hill,
we're unlikely to have problems unless there's a landslide behind us.
That hasn't happened during our 33yrs here, so let's hope that doesn't
change.

I hope your Wisterias survive all this. I know they don't like standing
in water.

As you say, anyone living in a severely flooded area atm must be
wretchedly miserable, and frightened for their property. Alas, the
forecasts don't encourage optimism.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

A bit of mindless fun on a foul day :-) Kate Morgan United Kingdom 28 28-10-2010 03:54 PM
Cure for foul water? Shindy Gardening 4 04-01-2007 05:15 PM
Murder most foul/ Mrs. Slocum obit Gary Woods Ponds 2 24-08-2005 08:12 PM
anyone have a foul smelling orchid? nightwriter Orchids 12 05-08-2003 04:18 AM
Letter to Weather Dept What the Heck? BenignVanilla Ponds 4 31-03-2003 08:56 PM