GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   May already? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209218-may-already.html)

David.WE.Roberts 21-02-2014 03:25 PM

May already?

Ne'er cast a clout till May is out.

Allegedly a stricture to keep wrapped up warm until the May or Hawthorn
comes into bloom.

Well in the last two days the hedges have started flowering in the more
sheltered areas.

Mirabelle trees and bushes are also coming into flower.

So does this mean it is really spring and we should hurl away our winter
woollies?

Cheers

Dave R

Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] 21-02-2014 03:27 PM

May already?

On 21/02/2014 15:25, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Ne'er cast a clout till May is out.

Allegedly a stricture to keep wrapped up warm until the May or Hawthorn
comes into bloom.

Well in the last two days the hedges have started flowering in the more
sheltered areas.

Are you sure that it's not blackthorn?

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 21-02-2014 03:40 PM

May already?

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 21/02/2014 15:25, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Ne'er cast a clout till May is out.

Allegedly a stricture to keep wrapped up warm until the May or Hawthorn
comes into bloom.

Well in the last two days the hedges have started flowering in the more
sheltered areas.

Are you sure that it's not blackthorn?

My money's on that, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

David.WE.Roberts 21-02-2014 03:52 PM

May already?

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:40:09 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 21/02/2014 15:25, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Ne'er cast a clout till May is out.

Allegedly a stricture to keep wrapped up warm until the May or
Hawthorn comes into bloom.

Well in the last two days the hedges have started flowering in the
more sheltered areas.

Are you sure that it's not blackthorn?

My money's on that, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Could well be, hadn't considered that.

Whatever, everything seems to be going berserk at the moment with
temperatures above 10C.

Having Googled Blackthorn/Hawthorn it does look like Blackthorn.

I'll put me clothes back on, then.

Cheers

Dave R