Old 21-02-2014, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Amelanchier laevis

I have bought an Amelanchier laevis "Snowflakes", which has been
shrubified quite low down leaving exposed dead sapwood. That
is a bit annoying, as I would have preferred it to be left as a
single-stemmed plant. But my real questions are how deeply to
plant it and where it will reshoot from if it needs to.

I doubt that covering the dead sapwood is a good idea, but is it
likely to reshoot from the roots if it falls apart there? I know
that it can grow as either a tree or a shrub (as is common among
the woody Rosaceae), but no more than that. In other words, is
it more like an apple or a plum?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-02-2014, 09:47 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren[_3_] View Post
I have bought an Amelanchier laevis "Snowflakes", which has been
shrubified quite low down leaving exposed dead sapwood. That
is a bit annoying, as I would have preferred it to be left as a
single-stemmed plant. But my real questions are how deeply to
plant it and where it will reshoot from if it needs to.

I doubt that covering the dead sapwood is a good idea, but is it
likely to reshoot from the roots if it falls apart there? I know
that it can grow as either a tree or a shrub (as is common among
the woody Rosaceae), but no more than that. In other words, is
it more like an apple or a plum?
This doesn't answer your question but indicates the toughness of amelanchiers. Mine (species unknown) when about 2ft high had its main stem snapped by a toddler on a runaway trike. A secondary stem took over and is now a fine trunk about 3in dia. The snapped trunk sent out a few more shoots which are thinner but full height - I could turn it into a tree by taking these out but prefer not to.

Interestingly, the two halves, while looking identical, are slightly out of synch in both flowering and leaf colouring in the autumn. I don't think it's that the rootstock has shooted - the two halves are identical in everything except timing.
__________________
Old 22-02-2014, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
kay wrote:

[...]

Thanks. My understanding is that most Amelanchiers are propagated
by either seed or layering, anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-02-2014, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message ...

In article ,
kay wrote:

[...]

Nick they seem to be as tough as old boots. We bought one years ago and
since then, shoots have come from the base of the trunk. We have separated
them with care and now have 3 in the garden!!

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk