Old 27-02-2014, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Long reach lopper

Several trees are getting a bit big so I have decided that we need one
of these long reach pruners, the type with a long pole and a rope to
pull to do the actual cutting.

Any recommendations as to a good one? Probably 2-3m long.

Andrew
Old 27-02-2014, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/02/2014 13:49, Andrew May wrote:
Several trees are getting a bit big so I have decided that we need one
of these long reach pruners, the type with a long pole and a rope to
pull to do the actual cutting.

Any recommendations as to a good one? Probably 2-3m long.

Mine is a Gardena sp? interchangable one on an extensible pole.

Unless they have improved the method of fixing I would recommend the
rival Wolf something ones which have a much more positive attachment.

Also get a pruning saw and a short handle to go with it oh and a hard
hat if you do not already own one.

You can do a lot with this combination.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 27-02-2014, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

Mine is a Gardena sp? interchangable one on an extensible pole.

Unless they have improved the method of fixing I would recommend the
rival Wolf something ones which have a much more positive attachment.

Also get a pruning saw and a short handle to go with it oh and a hard
hat if you do not already own one.

Eye protection wouldn't go amiss either.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 27-02-2014, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:

Several trees are getting a bit big so I have decided that we need one
of these long reach pruners, the type with a long pole and a rope to
pull to do the actual cutting.
Any recommendations as to a good one? Probably 2-3m long.

I have had two from Aldi over the years - a pruning saw (2-3m), with the
rope-operated lopping blade below it. Really excellent for what I use
them for.

I had to buy a second one only because I lopped just one too many
branches thicker than the maximum specified -- brute force (on the end
of the rope) had served me very well up until that point, but in the end
I snapped the blade: my fault, not Aldi's.
John
Old 27-02-2014, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/02/2014 15:45, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Andrew May wrote:

Several trees are getting a bit big so I have decided that we need one
of these long reach pruners, the type with a long pole and a rope to
pull to do the actual cutting.
Any recommendations as to a good one? Probably 2-3m long.

I have had two from Aldi over the years - a pruning saw (2-3m), with the
rope-operated lopping blade below it. Really excellent for what I use
them for.

I had to buy a second one only because I lopped just one too many
branches thicker than the maximum specified -- brute force (on the end
of the rope) had served me very well up until that point, but in the end
I snapped the blade: my fault, not Aldi's.
John

The problem with Aldi is that it is a bit hit and miss as to whether
they have that sort of thing in stock when you need them. Otherwise I am
all for it to give something a try but am quite happy to spend more on
tools if I know that they are going to get used.

Old 27-02-2014, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/02/2014 14:12, Martin Brown wrote:
On 27/02/2014 13:49, Andrew May wrote:
Several trees are getting a bit big so I have decided that we need one
of these long reach pruners, the type with a long pole and a rope to
pull to do the actual cutting.

Any recommendations as to a good one? Probably 2-3m long.

Mine is a Gardena sp? interchangable one on an extensible pole.

Unless they have improved the method of fixing I would recommend the
rival Wolf something ones which have a much more positive attachment.

Also get a pruning saw and a short handle to go with it oh and a hard
hat if you do not already own one.

You can do a lot with this combination.

Thanks. Does anyone have any experience of Darlac tools? I've seen them
mentioned a couple of times but mainly with respect to secateurs.

Old 27-02-2014, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andrew May" wrote ...

Several trees are getting a bit big so I have decided that we need one of
these long reach pruners, the type with a long pole and a rope to pull to
do the actual cutting.

Any recommendations as to a good one? Probably 2-3m long.

I have the Wolf Garten 4 metre telescopic pole with both the loppers with
the pull cord and the pruning saw attachment (amongst other things) . Both
work extremely well. I also bought a mini handle so I could use the saw by
hand too. Had it for very many years and it still works as good as new. As
someone else says, a pair of eye protectors is a good idea and gloves too as
pulling the cord whilst trying to cut a solid branch can hurt your hands
especially if using it a lot. If you are as stupid as me then a hard hat
might be a good idea. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-02-2014, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andrew May" wrote in message ...

The problem with Aldi is that it is a bit hit and miss as to whether
they have that sort of thing in stock when you need them. Otherwise I am
all for it to give something a try but am quite happy to spend more on
tools if I know that they are going to get used.

I got one of the rope operated thingies and found it a pain.
I was fortunate enough to find a second -hand rigid con rod and lever
operated version 2nd hand on ebay. - highly recommended but no saw
alternative action.

Pete

Old 27-02-2014, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/02/2014 18:23, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Andrew May" wrote ...

Several trees are getting a bit big so I have decided that we need one
of these long reach pruners, the type with a long pole and a rope to
pull to do the actual cutting.

Any recommendations as to a good one? Probably 2-3m long.

I have the Wolf Garten 4 metre telescopic pole with both the loppers
with the pull cord and the pruning saw attachment (amongst other things)
. Both work extremely well. I also bought a mini handle so I could use
the saw by hand too. Had it for very many years and it still works as
good as new. As someone else says, a pair of eye protectors is a good
idea and gloves too as pulling the cord whilst trying to cut a solid
branch can hurt your hands especially if using it a lot. If you are as
stupid as me then a hard hat might be a good idea. :-)

I have both sorts, a cord operated telescopic one from Aldi or Lidl a
few years ago, and a long reach, but not telescopic one with no saw but
a metal rod between the blade and the handle, about 7ft long. which I
have had since the end of the last century
This latter I ghot reduced as the bottom of the rod had come out of the
hole in the handle, a 2 minute job to put it back into place. It is the
one I use out of choice as I don't like the pull cord as much as a leaver.
David @ a showery side of Swansea Bay.
Old 27-02-2014, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/02/2014 14:12, Martin Brown wrote:
On 27/02/2014 13:49, Andrew May wrote:
Several trees are getting a bit big so I have decided that we need one
of these long reach pruners, the type with a long pole and a rope to
pull to do the actual cutting.

Any recommendations as to a good one? Probably 2-3m long.

Mine is a Gardena sp? interchangable one on an extensible pole.

Unless they have improved the method of fixing I would recommend the
rival Wolf something ones which have a much more positive attachment.

Also get a pruning saw and a short handle to go with it oh and a hard
hat if you do not already own one.

You can do a lot with this combination.

We have the rival Wolf and we're very pleased with it. Not used the
interchangeable pruning saw yet, so can't comment.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 28-02-2014, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

I have both sorts, a cord operated telescopic one from Aldi or Lidl a few
years ago, and a long reach, but not telescopic one with no saw but a metal
rod between the blade and the handle, about 7ft long. which I have had
since the end of the last century
This latter I ghot reduced as the bottom of the rod had come out of the
hole in the handle, a 2 minute job to put it back into place. It is the one
I use out of choice as I don't like the pull cord as much as a leaver.
David @ a showery side of Swansea Bay.

Yup - the ones with the sturdy wooden shaft - I had one as well - got lost
in my move.
After years of searching I have found the more modern replacement (ebay
2nd hand £10) with an aluminium tube shaft that the rod goes inside.
Still has lever operation which I can multiply by adding an extension tube
over the handle.

Never seen any new version though anywhere - just the ropey pull things
which my arthritic
hands just could not cope with (:-(

Pete

Old 28-02-2014, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/02/2014 22:27, Spider wrote:

We have the rival Wolf and we're very pleased with it. Not used the
interchangeable pruning saw yet, so can't comment.

Another vote for the wolf multi-change

--
regards
andy
Old 28-02-2014, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:49:26 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

Several trees are getting a bit big so I have decided that we need one
of these long reach pruners, the type with a long pole and a rope to
pull to do the actual cutting.

Any recommendations as to a good one? Probably 2-3m long.

Andrew

On the Aldi/Lidl front, one of them periodically does an electric chain
saw on a stick.

Wonderful bit of kit for pruning tall trees, and none of the positioning,
wiggling and heaving associated with the mechanical pruners.

I don't have one (also, at the moment I don't have any trees) but a friend
has one and I have helped with a couple of over grown gardens and it has
been invaluable.

Cheers

Dave R