Old 03-03-2014, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Difficult to climb fencing

On 03/03/2014 16:53, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Martin" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"P Bentley" wrote ...

We are needing a long stretch of fencing around our allotment. But we
really need to keep the cost down as much as possible.

It does not have to look pretty, but must be *difficult* to climb,
as we
have had a number of thefts on the allotment. We are not allowed to
use any
barbed-wire.

Any suggestions as to what good inexpensive fencing is available
with the
above requirements, we would be grateful for.

Having read the comments, yes, prickly plants will deter the casual
thief
and vandal but the problem with allotments is it is no longer those
people
causing the serious problems it's the determined professional thief with
pickup trucks and tools. If they come prepared to cut through a
strong metal
fence a prickly plant will be no problem, they will just chainsaw it, or
drive over it.
Get rid of the temptation and they won't be interested.

Our allotment is inside a high security area. It doesn't stop the very
well paid
people working there stealing tools and vegetables.

We don't keep any tools on our plot, not even a line. All we have ever
got is footprints as the villains walk across our plot to get to yet
another shed on someone else's.
On one visit by the thieves there was a strimmer, cordless electric
drill, a brand new large cultivator worth hundreds and a petrol
generator as well as other bits stashed by the gate ready to be
collected, only I got their first and called the Police. It's that
potential income from the sheds that keeps these people coming back time
and again and why I say don't keep tools on your site as a temptation.

This happened at an allotment I know in Yorkshire. The allotment
holders got so fed up with losing both veg and equipment that they
talked to the police. The police provided them with Smar****er plus a
sign to put up on the entrance gates saying that Smar****er was used.
As far as I know, they've had no more trouble. Perhaps this is
something the OP could try.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 03-03-2014, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/03/2014 17:03, Spider wrote:

Snipped
This happened at an allotment I know in Yorkshire. The allotment
holders got so fed up with losing both veg and equipment that they
talked to the police. The police provided them with Smar****er plus a
sign to put up on the entrance gates saying that Smar****er was used. As
far as I know, they've had no more trouble. Perhaps this is something
the OP could try.

I got a Smart Water kit from my neighbourhood watch. It cost £25 and
includes a number of warning stickers.

--
Pete C
adventure before dementure
Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 16:14:20 -0000, "P Bentley"
wrote:

We are needing a long stretch of fencing around our allotment. But we really
need to keep the cost down as much as possible.

It does not have to look pretty, but must be *difficult* to climb, as we
have had a number of thefts on the allotment. We are not allowed to use any
barbed-wire.

Any suggestions as to what good inexpensive fencing is available with the
above requirements, we would be grateful for. Thanks.

You could put carpet gripper strips on the inside at the top of the fence. This
may deter people from climbing over as they try and get a hand hold.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We are needing a long stretch of fencing around our allotment. But we really
need to keep the cost down as much as possible.

It does not have to look pretty, but must be *difficult* to climb, as we
have had a number of thefts on the allotment. We are not allowed to use any
barbed-wire.

Any suggestions as to what good inexpensive fencing is available with the
above requirements, we would be grateful for. Thanks.

You could put carpet gripper strips on the inside at the top of the fence. This
may deter people from climbing over as they try and get a hand hold.

He isn't allowed barbed wire so he won't be able to fit gripper rods.

Anti climb paint is the obvious answer.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...

He isn't allowed barbed wire so he won't be able to fit gripper rods.

Anti climb paint is the obvious answer.

Coiled razor wire - just the job in my book (:-)
Pete

Old 04-03-2014, 07:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Peter & Jeanne
writes

"dennis@home" wrote in message
aweb.com...

He isn't allowed barbed wire so he won't be able to fit gripper rods.

Anti climb paint is the obvious answer.

Coiled razor wire - just the job in my book (:-)
Pete

It certainly does! I used it once and would never voluntarily go near
it again.

Interestingly, as it is outlawed in many places, I was in one of Her
Majesty's hotels recently where they had razor wire fitted and was told
that they are breaking some law or other and get fined for each year it
is in place. They prefer to pay the fine and keep the place secure
rather than not have it.

I have encountered anti climb paint and as well as stopping climbing it
also marks the user and their clothes very well too, so it makes them a
bit more traceable in the short term.
--
Bill
Old 08-03-2014, 02:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 16:45:46 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

"P Bentley" wrote

We are needing a long stretch of fencing around our allotment. But we
really need to keep the cost down as much as possible.

It does not have to look pretty, but must be *difficult* to climb, as we
have had a number of thefts on the allotment. We are not allowed to use
any barbed-wire.

Any suggestions as to what good inexpensive fencing is available with
the above requirements, we would be grateful for. Thanks.

I've been an allotment rep for many years and attended many meetings
where sites reported criminal damage and thefts. Some had very expensive
metal fencing, impossible to climb, the thieves just cut a big hole
through it and it cost a fortune to replace, twice!
The only way to stop thefts is to ensure nothing of value is ever kept
on the site, all sheds must be kept unlocked. Indeed the best way is to
remove all sheds, no sheds no temptation. If plot holders use the shed
as a toilet then it would be cheaper to build a proper composting toilet
on site than erect a strong fence, more temptation.
A small trailer for the car is no more than the cost of a shed to buy
and allows you to collect manure etc too, as well as carting your tools
back and forth. If you live close to the site then use a wheelbarrow to
cart your tools. You could, like me, invest in an old Defender as a
moving allotment shed.
When I moved to our present site there was only one plot with a tiny
shed and there was never any thefts or damage until the sudden influx of
new gardeners, all of which immediately put a shed up. Result, we have
been subject to at least annual thefts and damage ever since.

All very logical IF you have plenty of parking and easy access from the
parking to your plot.

At our allotments parking is very limited, and since they sub-divided into
half plots (5 rods IIRC) only the plot holder nearest the track has any
chance of parking a Land Rover or a trailer at the plot.

Ours is a 'C' plot which means you have to trek down from the track past
'A' and 'B' to get there - in fact there may be four plots - I need to
check if it is 'n' then 'nA' 'nB' 'nC'. Anyway it is a long trek from the
minimal parking to the plot. Coupled with the logistics of moving your
'nickables' from your trailer (if you can find room to park it) in several
trips both going and coming it is not an easy task.

It is a real PITA if you haven't got room to park a trailer and you have
to heave everything in and out of the back of the car (including the wheel
barrow to move it all in) each time you go down there.

The result is that most plot holders leave the basic gardening tools -
spade, fork, rake, hand tools etc. - down at the allotment so that they
are there when you need them and not a major pain to take back and forth
each time you visit.

I would love to be able to use an old Defender as a mobile shed :-)

There is Smar****er in use at the site.

We are also a relatively low crime area.

The major security (apart from prickly hedges) is the combination lock on
the gate.

However most people are too lazy to re-lock and scramble the combination.

Many are too lazy to even close the gate.

Still, level of theft remains low AFAIK.

I am looking forward to the shed going up as a place to sit and admire the
allotment on a summer evening - so I am probably deluding myself.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 11-03-2014, 01:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We are needing a long stretch of fencing around our allotment. But we really
need to keep the cost down as much as possible.

It does not have to look pretty, but must be *difficult* to climb, as we
have had a number of thefts on the allotment. We are not allowed to use any
barbed-wire.

Any suggestions as to what good inexpensive fencing is available with the
above requirements, we would be grateful for. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-High-V-...-/140909675000

Is the stuff you want really.

Can you get a lottery grant for it?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 11-03-2014, 02:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-High-V-...-/140909675000

Is the stuff you want really.

Can you get a lottery grant for it?

This is the stuff they had around the allotment near here that was simply
cut out, twice.
ttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PALISADE-GALVANISED-METAL-SECURITY-FENCING-52-25M-ALL-HEIGHTS-/110841852121?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Supply_Security_ Equipment_ET&var=&hash=item19ceb070d9

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 11/03/2014 13:46, Bob Hobden wrote:
"mogga" wrote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-High-V-...-/140909675000

Is the stuff you want really.

Can you get a lottery grant for it?

This is the stuff they had around the allotment near here that was
simply cut out, twice.
ttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PALISADE-GALVANISED-METAL-SECURITY-FENCING-52-25M-ALL-HEIGHTS-/110841852121?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Supply_Security_ Equipment_ET&var=&hash=item19ceb070d9

You may as well accept that all fences are easy to cut.
They only really work if there is some chance of the thief being caught
while doing it.
If there is nobody passing or likely to see/hear them cutting it you may
as well not bother.
You could put an alarm on the fence if there is anyone to respond.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...

You may as well accept that all fences are easy to cut.
They only really work if there is some chance of the thief being caught
while doing it.
If there is nobody passing or likely to see/hear them cutting it you may as
well not bother.
You could put an alarm on the fence if there is anyone to respond.

Perhaps augmented by a few "Danger -- High Voltage" signs (:-)

Pete

Old 11-03-2014, 07:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Peter & Jeanne" wrote

"dennis@home" wrote

You may as well accept that all fences are easy to cut.
They only really work if there is some chance of the thief being caught
while doing it.
If there is nobody passing or likely to see/hear them cutting it you may
as well not bother.
You could put an alarm on the fence if there is anyone to respond.

Perhaps augmented by a few "Danger -- High Voltage" signs (:-)

Then they would go after the cable! :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 11/03/2014 12:52, mogga wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-High-V-...-/140909675000

Is the stuff you want really.

I've just seen some of that freshly installed.

With a padlock and chain on the bit the scrotes pulled off within a
fortnight

Andy
Old 12-03-2014, 01:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 13:46:47 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-High-V-...-/140909675000

Is the stuff you want really.

Can you get a lottery grant for it?

This is the stuff they had around the allotment near here that was simply
cut out, twice.
ttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PALISADE-GALVANISED-METAL-SECURITY-FENCING-52-25M-ALL-HEIGHTS-/110841852121?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Supply_Security_ Equipment_ET&var=&hash=item19ceb070d9

You need to up the observation side of things in the area too there!

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 12-03-2014, 01:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:27:30 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

You may as well accept that all fences are easy to cut.
They only really work if there is some chance of the thief being caught
while doing it.
If there is nobody passing or likely to see/hear them cutting it you may
as well not bother.
You could put an alarm on the fence if there is anyone to respond.

One of the reasons for having an allotment event each year is that it
makes local residents aware we're here and that we're much better than
what used to be here.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

electric fencing for ponds Andrew Burgess Ponds 3 27-02-2003 04:53 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 25-02-2003 12:10 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 11:29 PM
fencing Paint Howie United Kingdom 2 10-02-2003 10:16 AM
AD: Handy fencing tool for tightening/ maintaining wire fences, trellis wires, deer stand wires, et C&C Fencing Supply sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 02:45 AM