Old 12-03-2014, 09:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Difficult to climb fencing

In message , P Bentley
writes
We are needing a long stretch of fencing around our allotment. But we really
need to keep the cost down as much as possible.

It does not have to look pretty, but must be *difficult* to climb, as we
have had a number of thefts on the allotment. We are not allowed to use any
barbed-wire.

Any suggestions as to what good inexpensive fencing is available with the
above requirements, we would be grateful for. Thanks.

Having seen many of the contributions about fencing, you may find a moat
would be a better bet. A water filled stagnant ditch edged with
brambles would be a good deterrent.
--
Bill
Old 13-03-2014, 07:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 21:47:56 +0000, Bill
wrote:

In message , P Bentley
writes
We are needing a long stretch of fencing around our allotment. But we really
need to keep the cost down as much as possible.

It does not have to look pretty, but must be *difficult* to climb, as we
have had a number of thefts on the allotment. We are not allowed to use any
barbed-wire.

Any suggestions as to what good inexpensive fencing is available with the
above requirements, we would be grateful for. Thanks.

Having seen many of the contributions about fencing, you may find a moat
would be a better bet. A water filled stagnant ditch edged with
brambles would be a good deterrent.

We have easy to climb fencing at one corner. The other side is higher
than ours. A couple of barrows of manure makes a nice squidgy landing
for anyone coming over there.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 13-03-2014, 11:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

In message , P Bentley
writes
We are needing a long stretch of fencing around our allotment. But we really
need to keep the cost down as much as possible.

It does not have to look pretty, but must be *difficult* to climb, as we
have had a number of thefts on the allotment. We are not allowed to use any
barbed-wire.

Any suggestions as to what good inexpensive fencing is available with the
above requirements, we would be grateful for. Thanks.

Having seen many of the contributions about fencing, you may find a moat
would be a better bet. A water filled stagnant ditch edged with
brambles would be a good deterrent.

We have easy to climb fencing at one corner. The other side is higher
than ours. A couple of barrows of manure makes a nice squidgy landing
for anyone coming over there.

Was listening to an ex-burglar saying trellis along the top makes
it much harder, because it will break one way or another, and the
noise attracts attention, which is what they don't like.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old 13-03-2014, 11:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:
wrote:

[...]

when we got burgled some years ago, the noise of breaking glass and
splintering woodwork was considered by our nextdoor neighbour to be caused
by me cutting down a tree. This despite the facts that a) it was during
office hours and b) she was our local Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old 13-03-2014, 01:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In message , charles
writes
Having seen many of the contributions about fencing, you may find a
moat would be a better bet. A water filled stagnant ditch edged with
brambles would be a good deterrent.

We have easy to climb fencing at one corner. The other side is higher
than ours. A couple of barrows of manure makes a nice squidgy landing
for anyone coming over there.

Was listening to an ex-burglar saying trellis along the top makes it much
harder, because it will break one way or another, and the noise attracts
attention, which is what they don't like.

when we got burgled some years ago, the noise of breaking glass and
splintering woodwork was considered by our nextdoor neighbour to be caused
by me cutting down a tree. This despite the facts that a) it was during
office hours and b) she was our local Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator.

All too common unfortunately.

In a previous house my neighbour waved at the guy she had disturbed
forcing my patio doors, he said "hi" and seemed a nice guy. Luckily he
decided to make a quick retreat, my neighbour would have probably
offered him a cup of tea!

At my present house I had £15.000:00 of aluminium pump up radio masts
stolen and taken away on a flat bed truck. I know how they went because
another neighbour watched them and said, afterwards, how efficient and
hard working the 2 guys were.

Sometimes I do wonder if the crooks would have to wear black and white
striped tee shirts and carry a bag marked SWAG before any one thought
they were up to no good.
--
Bill

Old 13-03-2014, 02:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 13/03/2014 11:55, charles wrote:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:
wrote:

[...]

That's appalling! I'm a neighbourhood watch coordinator and I would
never sit through that sort of noise without checking it out. Mind you,
we have just been given an award by the Met Police so we're obviously
doing something right. Neighbourhood Watch is about rather more than
putting up a sticker and snuggling back down into complacency.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 14-03-2014, 07:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Was listening to an ex-burglar saying trellis along the top makes it
much harder, because it will break one way or another, and the noise
attracts attention, which is what they don't like.

when we got burgled some years ago, the noise of breaking glass and
splintering woodwork was considered by our nextdoor neighbour to be
caused by me cutting down a tree. This despite the facts that a) it
was during office hours and b) she was our local Neighbourhood Watch
co-ordinator.

That's appalling! I'm a neighbourhood watch coordinator and I would
never sit through that sort of noise without checking it out. Mind you,
we have just been given an award by the Met Police so we're obviously
doing something right. Neighbourhood Watch is about rather more than
putting up a sticker and snuggling back down into complacency.

I climbed over my own fence yesterday to reach an area that was blocked
by a boat and trailer. I felt it was very dangerous and if it broke or I
slipped I would have been injured. Here's my fence:
http://i50.tinypic.com/10deic2.jpg

Two of my neighbours have given me CCTV cameras so I can watch for
thieves and vandals. I think I have caught every one of them.
Old 14-03-2014, 07:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

Thick grease along the top?

electric fencing for ponds Andrew Burgess Ponds 3 27-02-2003 03:53 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM
fencing Paint Howie United Kingdom 2 10-02-2003 09:16 AM
AD: Handy fencing tool for tightening/ maintaining wire fences, trellis wires, deer stand wires, et C&C Fencing Supply sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 01:45 AM