Old 08-03-2014, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which elms (if any) may be grown in an English garden?

Which elms (if any) may be grown in an English garden?
--
Madam Life's a piece in bloom,
Death goes dogging everywhe
Old 08-03-2014, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/03/2014 18:01, Peter Percival wrote:
Which elms (if any) may be grown in an English garden?

Any elm you want to choose,
Some will grow and some you'll loose.

See http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=154
Old 09-03-2014, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/03/2014 20:22, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 18:01:58 +0000, Peter Percival
wrote:

Which elms (if any) may be grown in an English garden?

Which elm? Why, the Wych elm, of course.

Sadly, the wych elm is also susceptible to Dutch Elm Disease according to:
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fr/HCOU-4U4JCL

Quote: "Our main native elms, English elm (U. procera), smooth-leaved
elm (U. carpinifolia or U. minor) and wych elm (U. glabra) are all
susceptible..."

--

Jeff
Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Which elms (if any) may be grown in an English garden?

Which elm? Why, the Wych elm, of course.

Sadly, the wych elm is also susceptible to Dutch Elm Disease according to:
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fr/HCOU-4U4JCL

Quote: "Our main native elms, English elm (U. procera), smooth-leaved
elm (U. carpinifolia or U. minor) and wych elm (U. glabra) are all
susceptible..."

It is, however, the least susceptible of those.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 18:01:58 +0000, Peter Percival wrote:

Which elms (if any) may be grown in an English garden?

There are several elms that are resistant to Dutch Elm Disease. It seems
some at least of these are sold under the name "Ulmus resista" or "Ulmus
x resista".

I planted 2 elms sold to me as Ulmus resista (with a trademark indicating
they originated in Dutch nurseries), one around 1993 and one 6-7 years
later. They both grew very enthusiastically and showed no sign of the
disease, the older one was quite a stately tree already.

There are also some shrubby cultivars.

Unfortunately I lost both of these trees in the gales this year.

It appears that it's too windy here for elms, so they are to be replaced
with live oaks, Quercus gilva and myrsinifolia.

HTH
--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 09-03-2014, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/03/2014 18:01, Peter Percival wrote:
Which elms (if any) may be grown in an English garden?

I have been growing Ulmus hollandica wredei for 20-25yrs. It is a
golden-leaved elm, but not one of those garish, unsettling
yellow/greens; it's very easy to live with. It is growing well and
shows no sign of any pest, disease or virus. I think it's a
lovely-looking tree.

http://www.atreeaday.com/atreeaday/U...ca_Wredei.html

I would love to grow a more native elm, but currently have a neighbour
who seems to dislike trees, so I'm biding my time. If they move out and
I'm still fit enough to plant a tree, then I shall see what's available
then.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 09-03-2014, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter Percival wrote:
Which elms (if any) may be grown in an English garden?

Thank you for all replies and the Wych joke.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-08 18:01:58 +0000, Peter Percival said:

Which elms (if any) may be grown in an English garden?

I got Ray one for Christmas from these people. As you'll see, they say
that they've been working to breed them to be disease-resistant.
http://www.kingco.co.uk/ulmus-species.html
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Percival View Post
Which elms (if any) may be grown in an English garden?
--
Madam Life's a piece in bloom,
Death goes dogging everywhe
She's the tenant of the room,
He's the ruffian on the stair.
Ulmus parvifolia, the Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, looks like a pretty good bet too.

In Chile when they talk about elm (ulmo in Spanish), they are actually referring to something quite different. Eucryphia cordifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I know it will grow well in damper parts of Britain.