GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Laying decorative tiles (first time gardener) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209367-laying-decorative-tiles-first-time-gardener.html)

BedScien 16-03-2014 10:54 AM

Laying decorative tiles (first time gardener)

I am a complete amateur and have landed myself the task of laying some stone slabs for a friend. :)

The idea is to create a border and fill the inside with slate. The whole thing will be purely decorative and not used as a path.

My main query is what type of foundation to create for the slabs to prevent them breaking over time with changing weather + seasons etc.

Any help is appreciated, but particularly stories of people's experiences!!

Bob Hobden 16-03-2014 04:43 PM

Laying decorative tiles (first time gardener)

"BedScien" wrote

I am a complete amateur and have landed myself the task of laying some
stone slabs for a friend. :)

The idea is to create a border and fill the inside with slate. The whole
thing will be purely decorative and not used as a path.

My main query is what type of foundation to create for the slabs to
prevent them breaking over time with changing weather + seasons etc.

Any help is appreciated, but particularly stories of people's
experiences!!

This site of an old poster here has all the information you would wish for
on all aspects of paving.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Phil Cook 16-03-2014 06:03 PM

Laying decorative tiles (first time gardener)

On 16/03/2014 16:43, Bob Hobden wrote:
"BedScien" wrote

I am a complete amateur and have landed myself the task of laying some
stone slabs for a friend. :)

My main query is what type of foundation to create for the slabs to
prevent them breaking over time with changing weather + seasons etc.

This site of an old poster here has all the information you would wish for
on all aspects of paving.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

For some reason the page you might want is rather hard to find.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm
--
Phil Cook