Old 16-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Registered User

Question Laying decorative tiles (first time gardener)

I am a complete amateur and have landed myself the task of laying some stone slabs for a friend.

The idea is to create a border and fill the inside with slate. The whole thing will be purely decorative and not used as a path.

My main query is what type of foundation to create for the slabs to prevent them breaking over time with changing weather + seasons etc.

Any help is appreciated, but particularly stories of people's experiences!!
Old 16-03-2014, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Laying decorative tiles (first time gardener)

"BedScien" wrote

I am a complete amateur and have landed myself the task of laying some
stone slabs for a friend.

The idea is to create a border and fill the inside with slate. The whole
thing will be purely decorative and not used as a path.

My main query is what type of foundation to create for the slabs to
prevent them breaking over time with changing weather + seasons etc.

Any help is appreciated, but particularly stories of people's
experiences!!

This site of an old poster here has all the information you would wish for
on all aspects of paving.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-03-2014, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/03/2014 16:43, Bob Hobden wrote:
"BedScien" wrote

I am a complete amateur and have landed myself the task of laying some
stone slabs for a friend.

My main query is what type of foundation to create for the slabs to
prevent them breaking over time with changing weather + seasons etc.

This site of an old poster here has all the information you would wish for
on all aspects of paving.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

For some reason the page you might want is rather hard to find.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm
--
Phil Cook

Great resource for the bayyard gardener, and first time gardener John Peterson Gardening 0 24-03-2009 12:21 AM
Old slate roof tiles as decorative mulch or any other garden use ??? Uncle-C United Kingdom 7 28-03-2007 07:03 PM
Red teracota tiles Tom United Kingdom 4 19-06-2005 11:02 AM
Stopping wisteria growing under roof tiles Lobster United Kingdom 3 14-06-2005 08:45 AM
Laying Turf - Need to rotavate or just feed topsoil before laying pzboyz United Kingdom 1 03-06-2005 08:39 AM