Old 22-03-2014, 05:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?

I've got an old cherry tree stump which I really want rid of. It's
probably about 10" high by 15" across, and the problem is that it's in an
awkward position at the foot of a banked area, and surrounded by paving
stones, so would be very disruptive and difficult to dig out. It's
inaccessible to a tree stump grinder (other than maybe something hand-
held).

Burning it out seems the way forward, and I've tried several times (over
years), burying the thing in burning coal. Trouble is the stump doesn't
really burn much as such; it just chars over, and has got quite dished on
top, but there's a lot more to go. Anyway, it occurred to me that maybe I
could try again this summer but first impregnate the remaining timber over
a period of time (maybe honeycombing it with a drill first) to encourage it
to burn properly. Anyone tried this? What would be good to use, that
wouldn't just evaporate off?

I'm not after getting the whole thing out - if I just get the stump below
ground level and cover it with a plant tub or something, that would be
fine!

Or any other constructive ideas!?

--
David
Old 22-03-2014, 05:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Lobster wrote:
[...]

living wood won't burn like this, there's way too much water content for any
kind of acclerant to have any effect.
If it's dished, holding water will help rot it away, but over a long period
of time.
You might want to get some deep cuts in it, either with a chainsaw or by
hand to speed things along, a sledge axe will help but will posibly get
jammed.

I'm not after getting the whole thing out - if I just get the stump
below ground level and cover it with a plant tub or something, that
would be fine!

Or any other constructive ideas!?

Raise the ground around it and put planters over the larger raised area

Old 22-03-2014, 06:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:41:34 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

I've got an old cherry tree stump which I really want rid of.

I think saltpetre (potassium nitrate) is the stuff to use. If you
drill a vertical hole into the wood and pack it full of saltpetre, the
rain water will dissolve it and it will eventually permeate the wood.

This will encourage the wood to rot, as it supplies a source of
nitrogen for bacteria, and will also make the stump easier to burn as
it is an oxidiser.

It's not a quick solution though.
Old 22-03-2014, 06:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 22/03/2014 17:41, Lobster wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure I understand why you can't just saw it off at ground level.
You could then put a paving slab on it (to create a form of shallow
plinth) and add the plant tub you mention.

You could stretch this idea to drilling holes in the flush stump and
pouring SBK in them before placing the slab plinth. That way it will
rot away out of site and be safe for passing animals and children.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 22-03-2014, 06:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
[...]

You can buy a fungus to infect it with.
Gets rid of most stumps (by rotting) in a couple of years.
Forestry people use it.

Old 22-03-2014, 07:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:41:34 +0000, Lobster wrote:

[...]

Probably no need to wait until summer.

Possibly try a more serious fire instead of just heaping coals?

If you build a temporary wall around it using old bricks, blocks and stuff
you turn it into a fire pit.

Then light a fire around the stump and keep feeding it for a few hours.

Once you get a really high temperature the stump should begin to char away
- but it will take time because the charcoal protects the wood underneath.

Keep poking the stump with an iron bar or similar to break off the
charcoal and this will both feed the fire and expose more wood.

It may take several attempts, but if you persevere say over a couple of
weeks you should be able to burn the stump down below ground level.

Then again, one good steady fire could shift it.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 22-03-2014, 07:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Why not try hollowing it out and using it as the plant tub, this will in
time help it to rot.
If you had left 4 or 5ft of the trunk then it would have made digging it
out an easier job as you would have had a good leaver.
Alternately why not dig down about a foot then get someone with a chain
saw to saw it off below the ground level you want, a 5 minute job for
the saw.
Old 22-03-2014, 07:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 3/22/2014 1:52 PM, Phil L wrote:

Raise the ground around it and put planters over the larger raised area

That works.
I've built low stone walls, then filled them with soil and plants. The
stumps eventually rot away, encouraged by a number of holes drilled into
them before burial.

Old 22-03-2014, 09:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 22/03/14 17:41, Lobster wrote:
[...]

drill lots of holes in it
[g]

Old 22-03-2014, 09:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

[...]

You can get angle grinder disks which are similar to a proper stump
grinder, basically a ring of chain-saw chain wrapped round a hub.
Sometimes used for "carving".

Drill a lot of parallel deep holes with a big (say 25 mm) auger to
remove a large proportion of the material?

I have used a 1 inch chisel in a 4 kg SDS drill to attack similar things
in the past.

As another poster said, saltpetre (potassium nitrate) is a good
oxidising agent if you can saturate the stump with it before applying
fire. Potassium permanganate is another possibility, perhaps easier to
obtain. When trying to purchase such things in kilogram quantities,
suggest blacking up, put on false beard, and speak with funny accent. (Not).

Old 22-03-2014, 10:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
newshound writes
As another poster said, saltpetre (potassium nitrate) is a good
oxidising agent if you can saturate the stump with it before applying
fire. Potassium permanganate is another possibility, perhaps easier to
obtain. When trying to purchase such things in kilogram quantities,
suggest blacking up, put on false beard, and speak with funny accent.
(Not).

I recently had a need to produce lots of smoke and Potassium Nitrate was
easily and cheaply available from suppliers on Ebay.

As far a removing stumps, I drilled lots of 1" dia holes about 6" into a
12" dia stump a few years ago and filled with Pot' Nitrate. I all but
forgot about it for 3 or 4 years and when I went back to it it just
pulled out of the ground , having rotted below the surface.
--
Bill
Old 22-03-2014, 10:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:41:34 GMT, Lobster wrote:

I'm not after getting the whole thing out - if I just get the stump
below ground level and cover it with a plant tub or something, that
would be fine!

So just buy a cheap pack of three crosscut hand saws and set to with
the saws, or attack it with a splitting axe or just drive a 2" wide
bolster chisel into it an inch from the edge, split lumps off it and
work yoru way across. Might need some extra cold chisels as wedges or
get a log splitting grenade. Just takes a bit of physical effort.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-03-2014, 12:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 22/03/2014 22:31, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:41:34 GMT, Lobster wrote:

I'm not after getting the whole thing out - if I just get the stump
below ground level and cover it with a plant tub or something, that
would be fine!

So just buy a cheap pack of three crosscut hand saws and set to with
the saws, or attack it with a splitting axe or just drive a 2" wide
bolster chisel into it an inch from the edge, split lumps off it and
work yoru way across. Might need some extra cold chisels as wedges or
get a log splitting grenade. Just takes a bit of physical effort.

Why all the fuss, it's only 15 inches across, playing with an angle
grinder with "thin metal" disc for half an hour would make it look silly.
It's not like it's a 3ft Oak stump.
Old 23-03-2014, 12:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I would cut it off flush with a green wood blade in a reciprocating saw.
The turn it into a swiss cheese on top with an auger bit. At which point
there are various options for the last stage including many of those
mentioned above, as well as the attention of a big roofing blow torch to
char it, clean off the charred bit with SDS chisel or arbortech disk in
an angle grinder. The repeat a couple of times until its low enough.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old 23-03-2014, 02:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
[...]

SBK
SBK Superbike (racing motorbikes)
SBK Svenska Brukshundklubben
SBK Snowboard Kids (gaming)
SBK Stichting Bouwkwaliteit (Dutch)
SBK Short Bus Kids
SBK South Brooklyn Railway Company
SBK Single Below Knee (amputation)

Apple Tree Stump Remonal Pete United Kingdom 8 30-09-2008 03:17 AM
Tree Stump Removal Alan Smith United Kingdom 8 29-09-2008 08:32 PM
stump out any good? Adam Russell Lawns 3 22-07-2004 09:04 PM
Burning out tree roots P Verstege United Kingdom 29 30-11-2003 05:18 PM
tree stump Kumar Varadan Gardening 1 17-04-2003 06:08 PM