GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Article in Garden magazine re climate change (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209446-article-garden-magazine-re-climate-change.html)

kay 28-03-2014 07:11 PM

Article in Garden magazine re climate change

Interesting article by Nigel Colborn in Garden magazine re gardening in changing climate

He starts by summarising all the out of ordinary weather of the last few years, and the effects on flowering time in his garden.

Then mentions that Kent growers think this year will be bad for apples as winter has not been cold enough; following last year's bumper crops raises the risk of triggering biennial bearing.

He makes the point that "rules" are not likely to be of help in a changeable climate, and concludes we need to develop a deeper understanding of our own particular gardens, that covers more than just soil type and climate.

Uncle Peter 29-06-2014 04:58 PM

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 19:11:17 -0000, kay wrote:

Interesting article by Nigel Colborn in Garden magazine re gardening in
changing climate

He starts by summarising all the out of ordinary weather of the last few
years, and the effects on flowering time in his garden.

Then mentions that Kent growers think this year will be bad for apples
as winter has not been cold enough; following last year's bumper crops
raises the risk of triggering biennial bearing.

He makes the point that "rules" are not likely to be of help in a
changeable climate, and concludes we need to develop a deeper
understanding of our own particular gardens, that covers more than just
soil type and climate.

I don't know, one person puts the decimal point in the wrong place, and all you sheep go on believing it for decades, wasting time and money on CO2 emissions solutions.

--
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe. -- Carl Sagan