Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner Bean Frame.

Could anyone suggest a simple and good ready to assemble runner bean frame
please. thanks

Old 02-04-2014, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

T Bentley wrote:

Could anyone suggest a simple and good ready to assemble runner bean
frame please. thanks

I use three (more, if you like) 7-8ft canes simply stuck into the soil
and tied together at the top to make a "wigwam".

Three plants last year easily produced enough beans for me & 'Er
Indoors.

--
Chris
Old 02-04-2014, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CT" wrote in message
T Bentley wrote:

Could anyone suggest a simple and good ready to assemble runner bean
frame please. thanks

I use three (more, if you like) 7-8ft canes simply stuck into the soil
and tied together at the top to make a "wigwam".

Three plants last year easily produced enough beans for me & 'Er
Indoors.

--
Chris

Thanks. but there do seem to be some steel rod triangular 'long' type
frames, which we thought over the long term might be quite good ?

Old 02-04-2014, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid
says...

Could anyone suggest a simple and good ready to assemble runner bean frame
please. thanks

Stick 10 canes in the prepared bed, in a circle.
Pull the tops together in the middle and tie the bunch tight with
cable ties.

Janet
Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-02 09:51:55 +0000, T Bentley said:

Could anyone suggest a simple and good ready to assemble runner bean
frame please. thanks

Wigwam of canes with the top ends poked through the bottom of an
inverted plant pot.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-04-2014, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"T Bentley" wrote ...

Could anyone suggest a simple and good ready to assemble runner bean frame
please. thanks

Depends where it's for.
If it's a nice protected back garden then you can simply make one from 8ft
canes, mark two lines across the plot 3ft apart, push canes into the soil as
far as possible at 1ft spacing along both rows, then using another cane
horizontally along the middle of the rows tie each two canes to the
horizontal cane which should be underneath where they cross.
If it's an open allotment site then similar to the above but I use thin
wooden poles as horizontal poles and strong metal stakes (scaffold poles
banged into the soil as far as possible at 6ft intervals) holding that up
before I tie the canes to it. We have never had our beans blow down, unlike
most others.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"T Bentley" wrote ...

[...]

Thanks to all. Bob, curious how you tie a horizontal wooden pole to a
vertical scaffold pole ?

Old 03-04-2014, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"T Bentley" wrote in message ...

Thanks to all. Bob, curious how you tie a horizontal wooden pole to a
vertical scaffold pole ?

Its called lashing (:-)

http://www.animatedknots.com/lashsquare/

Regards
Pete

Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"T Bentley" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"T Bentley" wrote ...

[...]

Using garden wire through the holes drilled in the poles, you only have to
drill the holes once.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014 11:52:41 +0100, "T Bentley"

Thanks. but there do seem to be some steel rod triangular 'long' type
frames, which we thought over the long term might be quite good ?

I know someone who is hoping to get his friend to weld him some stuff
together to make an arch.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 05-04-2014, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014 10:51:55 +0100, "T Bentley"
wrote:

Could anyone suggest a simple and good ready to assemble runner bean frame
please. thanks

I use pairs of canes in an inverted V - with a horizontal cane running at right
angles to them all at the top to hold them steady.

Works very well.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Could anyone suggest a simple and good ready to assemble runner bean frame
please. thanks

I use pairs of canes in an inverted V - with a horizontal cane running at right
angles to them all at the top to hold them steady.

Works very well.

This topic has really started me thinking. Sixty years ago I used
bean poles, crossing just below the top and with poles tied along
the top. Then poles became unobtainable and I used string. As
I became more affluent I used 8 foot canes, and for the last 60
years I have had to rummage inside the row of beans, trying
to find all the crop - with varying success.

This year (having given it extraordinary thought) I intend to cross
my canes just 4 feet above the ground, so that the top of the cane
hangs outward. Advantages are that the horizontal cane can be
tied in at a comfortable height for someone of advanced years and
the beans should hang down in full view. Disadvantages are that
the plants will require more guidance in their twining and there may
be less humidity round the plants (not that this will matter in the
North of Scotland!) - time will tell

Ardmhor
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 05-04-2014, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 16:25:30 +0100, "philgurr"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Interesting idea.

Don't forget to report back at the end of the season ;-)

(Just noticed where you are. A few years ago I was in Aberdeen in June and
asked a friend how his beans were doing - and told him how well mine were
doing. He said he had just lost the lot to frost !!)

Old 05-04-2014, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 16:25:30 +0100, "philgurr"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Tis true. We don't plant out anything that is frost tender until the middle of
June. Runner beans are usually planted singly in 3" pots in the greenhouse
in May - and even then we can get caught out. Aviemore is reputed to get
frosts every month of the year!

Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 16:25:30 +0100, "philgurr"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

This year (having given it extraordinary thought) I intend to cross
my canes just 4 feet above the ground, so that the top of the cane
hangs outward. Advantages are that the horizontal cane can be
tied in at a comfortable height for someone of advanced years and
the beans should hang down in full view. Disadvantages are that
the plants will require more guidance in their twining and there may
be less humidity round the plants (not that this will matter in the
North of Scotland!) - time will tell

Ardmhor
Northern Highlands of Scotland

How did things go?