GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Propogating Chysanthemums (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209466-propogating-chysanthemums.html)

T Bentley 02-04-2014 10:58 AM

Propogating Chysanthemums

We have some very small Chysanthemums in pots. I would like to propogate
some by taking cuttings. Should I take the *leading* stems and then cut off
the flower buds and plant them, or will some of the smaller stems root just
as well; which would leave me with the buds to flower later on. Thanks.

philgurr 02-04-2014 11:36 AM

"T Bentley" wrote in message
We have some very small Chysanthemums in pots. I would like to propogate
some by taking cuttings. Should I take the *leading* stems and then cut
off the flower buds and plant them, or will some of the smaller stems root
just as well; which would leave me with the buds to flower later on.
Thanks.

Stems with buds on will rarely ever root, even if you remove the buds. Take
cuttings
from as near the base of the plant as you can, without any trace of a bud
but in good
vegetative growth. Small is often beautifull with chrysanth cuttings and it
doesn't
matter if they are only an inch long. They will root readily in peat compost
in about
14 days without any rooting hormone - but I usually use it as it makes me
feel
better!

Ardmhor