Old 06-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Duncan Langford

Default Fig tree - further advice appreciated!

A while back, I asked here for help with my fig tree, which, while pretty
good at producing leaves, wasn't too hot at making figs.

The concensus then seemed to be that I needed to water the fig tree
regularly, and feed it with liquid tomato fertilizer...

Well, I've taken this to heart, and have bought a bottle of the fertilizer
(one capfull per watering can) and have been watering my tree, and feeding
it, religiously...

But

But I'm not at all sure how often I should add the fertilizer to my
watering can; I obviously don't want to underfeed - I /would/ like at least
one fig - but I can remember some people telling me I didn't actually need
to feed the tree at all; while information on the fertilizer bottle itself,
while helpful on the feeding of tomatoes, understandably doesn't mention
fig trees in pots...

Can anyone help - please?!

In hope

- duncan
Old 06-05-2003, 07:08 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Duncan Langford" wrote in message
[...]

Duncan,
what is it doing at the moment?
Ours (in Suffolk) is just starting to sprout, and has small figs and leaves
coming out.
We still have some of the second crop of figs from last year on the tree,
but they are not showing any signs of activity and I expect them to turn
black and drop off in a while.
If our Brown Turkey in a pot is any guide, then you should see some sign of
fruit on the tips of the branches as soon as the buds start to swell.
We feed and water on an irregular basis, but I think too little water can
stop the fruit from growing large, and as it is in a pot the only food comes
from what goes in the top, so I presume feeding is in order.

I tend to judge general condition by the weeds growing in the top of the pot
:-)
If they are yellowing there is too little food.
If they are shrivelling there is too little water.

I have had a crop of figs drop in the past, which I think was due to under
watering.

http://www.easyfruit.co.uk/figs/ looks very informative and seems to tally
with my personal experience.

The pictures are good too - I was going to take some of my tree to post, but
the ones on this site are very similar.

High spots from the site:

grow Brown Turkey
plant in a pot
hottest part of a south facing garden
feed sparingly
water copiously

HTH
Dave R

Old 06-05-2003, 07:44 PM
JennyC

"Duncan Langford" wrote
A while back, I asked here for help with my fig tree, which, while

pretty
good at producing leaves, wasn't too hot at making figs.

The concensus then seemed to be that I needed to water the fig tree
regularly, and feed it with liquid tomato fertilizer...
snip
- duncan

Probably better to starve it than to feed it !!
Plants tend to produce fruits and seed to survive if they feel
threatened ~)
Besides they grow in really poor soil in the wild........
Restricting the roots will help too.
Jenny

Old 06-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
In article ,
(Duncan Langford) writes:

| A while back, I asked here for help with my fig tree, which, while pretty
| good at producing leaves, wasn't too hot at making figs.
|
| The concensus then seemed to be that I needed to water the fig tree
| regularly, and feed it with liquid tomato fertilizer...
|
| Well, I've taken this to heart, and have bought a bottle of the
fertilizer
| (one capfull per watering can) and have been watering my tree, and
feeding
| it, religiously...

Eh?

Tomato fertiliser is not a bad choice, but you need to stay WELL
away from giving it more nitrogen. Figs tend to behave as you
say in soil that is too rich and well-watered.

I wouldn't give it any fertiliser at all. Either you let a fig rip, and
it grows vast, fast, or you constrict the roots and keep it in bounds.
If it really gors weedy, a bit of phosphate perhaps, and as Duncan says,
lay off the nitrogen. (Lay off nitrogen for grapes, too.)

Generally, the advice for too much leaf and no figs is NOT to feed
it, and water it only in severe droughts (and I do mean severe).

Good advice - remember where figs come from...

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi

Old 07-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Anthony E Anson

I see from my killfile that someone posted a followup thread, but as it
had '!!!' in it, it dropped into the bit-bucket.