Old 10-04-2014, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis wilt

Anyone else got this yet?

I have a "Denny's Double" on an east-facing fence. Yesterday morning it
was fine, but when I had another look in the afternoon one side of the
plant was starting to wilt. Seems a bit early to me for clematis wilt,
but maybe the weather has been mild enough for it to get going. :-(

--

Jeff
Old 10-04-2014, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote

Anyone else got this yet?

I have a "Denny's Double" on an east-facing fence. Yesterday morning it
was fine, but when I had another look in the afternoon one side of the
plant was starting to wilt. Seems a bit early to me for clematis wilt, but
maybe the weather has been mild enough for it to get going. :-(

A bit ironic here but is it lack of water as it's against a fence?
Not had much rain in this area, dull days with slight drizzle but little
rain.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/04/2014 09:06, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote

Anyone else got this yet?

I have a "Denny's Double" on an east-facing fence. Yesterday morning it
was fine, but when I had another look in the afternoon one side of the
plant was starting to wilt. Seems a bit early to me for clematis wilt, but
maybe the weather has been mild enough for it to get going. :-(

A bit ironic here but is it lack of water as it's against a fence?
Not had much rain in this area, dull days with slight drizzle but little
rain.

No, other shrubs (and another clematis) nearby and all doing well. That
area is usually pretty damp, anyway. So far it's only the left hand
side which is suffering, but I don't think that the right side will last
long.

Oh, well, it is supposed to flower again quite well in September. We
shall see...

--

Jeff
Old 10-04-2014, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/04/2014 08:52, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone else got this yet?

I have a "Denny's Double" on an east-facing fence. Yesterday morning it
was fine, but when I had another look in the afternoon one side of the
plant was starting to wilt. Seems a bit early to me for clematis wilt,
but maybe the weather has been mild enough for it to get going. :-(

I have a Clematis that keeps wilting near the top. I've just been
assuming it's either frost or snail damage on the stem. I'll check mine
out later today.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 10-04-2014, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 10/04/2014 08:52, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone else got this yet?

I have a "Denny's Double" on an east-facing fence. Yesterday morning it
was fine, but when I had another look in the afternoon one side of the
plant was starting to wilt. Seems a bit early to me for clematis wilt,
but maybe the weather has been mild enough for it to get going. :-(

I have a Clematis that keeps wilting near the top. I've just been
assuming it's either frost or snail damage on the stem. I'll check mine
out later today.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay

Its usually either snails or weather damage during some point of the winter,
all is well until the plant tries to flower then the damaged stem just cant
cope.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 10-04-2014, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/04/2014 14:51, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 10/04/2014 08:52, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone else got this yet?

I have a "Denny's Double" on an east-facing fence. Yesterday morning it
was fine, but when I had another look in the afternoon one side of the
plant was starting to wilt. Seems a bit early to me for clematis wilt,
but maybe the weather has been mild enough for it to get going. :-(

I have a Clematis that keeps wilting near the top. I've just been
assuming it's either frost or snail damage on the stem. I'll check
mine out later today.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay

Its usually either snails or weather damage during some point of the
winter, all is well until the plant tries to flower then the damaged
stem just cant cope.

Oh good. That makes me hopeful. Forgotten to look at mine (had to go
out), but will check tomorrow. Perhaps I'll cut back to a stong bud,
then give it a feed. Thanks, Charlie.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London