Old 12-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered User

Default Help! what composter composts cooked food etc

I am after a composter that i can throw anything in such as- left over food off the diiner plates including gravy, rabbit droppings and hay, Lots of flowers ( I am a florist so have lots of stems and leaves etc to go in)
Old 12-05-2014, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
amme wrote:

I am after a composter that i can throw anything in such as- left over
food off the diiner plates including gravy, rabbit droppings and hay,
Lots of flowers ( I am a florist so have lots of stems and leaves etc to
go in)

Look at the FAQ about traditional composting. I chuck even bones
and old jersies on it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-05-2014, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/05/2014 16:01, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
amme wrote:
I am after a composter that i can throw anything in such as- left over
food off the diiner plates including gravy, rabbit droppings and hay,
Lots of flowers ( I am a florist so have lots of stems and leaves etc to
go in)

Look at the FAQ about traditional composting. I chuck even bones
and old jersies on it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I recycle my leftovers via the local fox and badger population
Old 13-05-2014, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

amme wrote:
I am after a composter that i can throw anything in such as- left over
food off the diiner plates including gravy, rabbit droppings and hay,
Lots of flowers ( I am a florist so have lots of stems and leaves etc to
go in)

Look at the FAQ about traditional composting. I chuck even bones
and old jersies on it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I recycle my leftovers via the local fox and badger population

I still wonder on your diet with leftover food comprising gravy, rabbit
droppings and hay.
Old 13-05-2014, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 May 2014 10:56:02 +0200, amme wrote:

I am after a composter that i can throw anything in such as- left over
food off the diiner plates including gravy, rabbit droppings and hay,
Lots of flowers ( I am a florist so have lots of stems and leaves etc to
go in)

The problem with cooked food in a composter is not that it won't compost:
it will - if it stays there long enough to do so. More likely it will
attract every mouse, rat, fox and badger to your composter and it will be
eaten before it rots down. Look at wormeries instead for cooked food and
keep the compost heap for hay (???), rabbit droppings, grass clippings,
flowers etc.etc.

Old 13-05-2014, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Derek Turner wrote:
On Mon, 12 May 2014 10:56:02 +0200, amme wrote:

I am after a composter that i can throw anything in such as- left over
food off the diiner plates including gravy, rabbit droppings and hay,
Lots of flowers ( I am a florist so have lots of stems and leaves etc to
go in)

The problem with cooked food in a composter is not that it won't compost:
it will - if it stays there long enough to do so. More likely it will
attract every mouse, rat, fox and badger to your composter and it will be
eaten before it rots down. Look at wormeries instead for cooked food and
keep the compost heap for hay (???), rabbit droppings, grass clippings,
flowers etc.etc.

That is an old wives' tale. I have even had rats living in my compost
and not touching the cooked food. As our old ratcatcher said, they
are attracted by the warmth and worms - which are inseparable from
a compost heap.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-05-2014, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-13 16:25:13 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Derek Turner wrote:
[...]

Our rodent man came round today and says there's a bit increase in the
rat population - around 40% in places. Such a cheery thought!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-05-2014, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-13 14:50:11 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Mon, 12 May 2014 10:56:02 +0200, amme wrote:

I am after a composter that i can throw anything in such as- left over
food off the diiner plates including gravy, rabbit droppings and hay,
Lots of flowers ( I am a florist so have lots of stems and leaves etc to
go in)

The problem with cooked food in a composter is not that it won't compost:
it will - if it stays there long enough to do so. More likely it will
attract every mouse, rat, fox and badger to your composter and it will be
eaten before it rots down. Look at wormeries instead for cooked food and
keep the compost heap for hay (???), rabbit droppings, grass clippings,
flowers etc.etc.

Well, at least you don't have to worry about fox or badger!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-05-2014, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 May 2014 17:25:13 +0100, Nick Maclaren wrote:

That is an old wives' tale.

An old wive's tale that has found its way in to many books, then

My apologies to the OP in that case: I'd still consider a wormery,
though

PS is it old wives' or old wive's? Does the v imply plural anyway? cf
children's
Old 13-05-2014, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Derek Turner wrote:

That is an old wives' tale.

An old wive's tale that has found its way in to many books, then

Oh, yes, indeed!

My apologies to the OP in that case: I'd still consider a wormery,
though

I have never used one, but some people swear by them.

PS is it old wives' or old wive's? Does the v imply plural anyway? cf
children's

A damn good question. On second thought, I was wrong, but it is
probably wives with no apostrophe!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 13-05-2014, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:

PS is it old wives' or old wive's? Does the v imply plural anyway? cf
children's

A damn good question. On second thought, I was wrong, but it is
probably wives with no apostrophe!

On third thought - no, I was was right, and my last response was
stupid. The plural is wives, and so it would be wives's, except
for the rule dropping the last "s".

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-05-2014, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 May 2014 14:50:11 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Mon, 12 May 2014 10:56:02 +0200, amme wrote:

I am after a composter that i can throw anything in such as- left over
food off the diiner plates including gravy, rabbit droppings and hay,
Lots of flowers ( I am a florist so have lots of stems and leaves etc to
go in)

The problem with cooked food in a composter is not that it won't compost:
it will - if it stays there long enough to do so. More likely it will
attract every mouse, rat, fox and badger to your composter and it will be
eaten before it rots down. Look at wormeries instead for cooked food and
keep the compost heap for hay (???), rabbit droppings, grass clippings,
flowers etc.etc.

Rats and other vermin don't eat cooked food unless they a really
hungry. They prefer fresh food.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 14-05-2014, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 May 2014 18:42:03 +0100, Nick Maclaren wrote:

My apologies to the OP in that case: I'd still consider a wormery,
though

I have never used one, but some people swear by them.

The huge advantage to many allotmenteers is that the wormery can sit
outside the back kitchen door (or in the utility room in cold weather)
whereas the compost heap might be a couple of miles away
Old 14-05-2014, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 May 2014 18:45:07 +0100, Nick Maclaren wrote:

On third thought - no, I was was right, and my last response was stupid.
The plural is wives, and so it would be wives's, except for the rule
dropping the last "s".

Yes, thinko on my part. It just didn't look right
Old 15-05-2014, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 14 May 2014 13:35:48 +0200, Martin wrote:

The huge advantage to many allotmenteers is that the wormery can sit
outside the back kitchen door (or in the utility room in cold weather)
whereas the compost heap might be a couple of miles away

You have the problem of moving the output to the allotment instead of
the input to the wormery.

Yes, but we are talking of a HUGE reduction in volume and smelliness A
2-litre bottle of liquid manure and a carrier-bag full of worm-droppings
(compost) every few weeks is no real problem.