GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Greenhouse clean out (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209732-greenhouse-clean-out.html)

'Mike'[_4_] 15-05-2014 08:34 AM

Greenhouse clean out

Now that all the tender plants are out, in the normal way, our neighbour
would clean out the greenhouse with Jeyes, however he has a young vine
growing in there now and wonders what to use instead of Jeyes as he feels it
may damage the vine.

Any recommendations?

Mike
www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

Jeff Layman[_2_] 15-05-2014 10:54 AM

Greenhouse clean out

On 15/05/2014 08:34, 'Mike' wrote:
Now that all the tender plants are out, in the normal way, our neighbour
would clean out the greenhouse with Jeyes, however he has a young vine
growing in there now and wonders what to use instead of Jeyes as he feels it
may damage the vine.

Any recommendations?

Mike
www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

Well, I'm probably in a minority of one, but I never bother to clean the
greenhouse with anything other than water, and even that's not done
every year. Unless he has had a known infection, which may respond to a
specific fungicide (or bactericide), he will get healthier plants in the
long run by exposing them to infections. That should result in some
degree of resistance in the end.

If you keep disinfecting, you will end up a bit like us - living in
almost sterile environments with very little exposure to pathogens. And
when you do get exposed, the weaknesses show!

Of course, the situation is different for commercial growers, but
sometimes even they can't get round a problem - look at downy mildew and
Impatiens walleriana.

--

Jeff

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 15-05-2014 11:25 AM

Greenhouse clean out

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

If you keep disinfecting, you will end up a bit like us - living in
almost sterile environments with very little exposure to pathogens. And
when you do get exposed, the weaknesses show!

Speak for yourself! We aren't all like that ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 15-05-2014 01:27 PM

Greenhouse clean out

On 15/05/2014 12:53, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 15 May 2014 11:25:13 +0100 (BST), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

If you keep disinfecting, you will end up a bit like us - living in
almost sterile environments with very little exposure to pathogens. And
when you do get exposed, the weaknesses show!

Speak for yourself! We aren't all like that ....

LOL plenty of flies on us.

http://peanuts.wikia.com/wiki/%22Pig-Pen%22

--

Jeff