GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   firethorne (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209748-firethorne.html)

TC53 16-05-2014 11:45 AM

firethorne

1 Attachment(s)
can anybody identify this white thing for me please, it is currently on all outer branches but not on the main body of this well established plant

Bob Hobden 16-05-2014 04:45 PM

firethorne

"TC53" wrote

can anybody identify this white thing for me please, it is currently on
all outer branches but not on the main body of this well established
plant

|Filename: 20140516_093724 (1280x960).jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16009|

It's Scale Insect and the white woolly stuff is when the old ones die and
the young start to crawl out over your plants. They excrete "honeydew" which
attracts sooty moulds making the leaves go black, like they are covered in
soot. They suck the sap so do prefer the softer wood which is why they are
on the outer branches and not on the thicker ones. There are still some
sprays available to deal with them , and now is the time whilst the young
are young, but do also check out other plants nearby, camellia, wisteria
etc. IMO some plants seem to attract them, citrus trees for example!

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

TC53 18-05-2014 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 1002113)
"TC53" wrote

[...]

Thankyou Bob.