GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing Leeks (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209753-growing-leeks.html)

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 16-05-2014 09:19 PM

Growing Leeks

A while back, someone asked for advice about growing leeks.

I've just got to the transplant stage, so I'll pass on what I
do, while I remember.

I dig a narrow trench about2-3" deep to lant in (saves a bit of
earthing up later on). Use a dibber to make good deepish holes,
in which I usually put a bit of growmore or aomething. Pop the
leks in and water so that the water fills the hole and takes a
bit of soil in with it. I usually use a small watering can and
hold the plants upright whilst watering. Check next day if the
brids have pulled any out, if so firm in a bit.

Hope that helps

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

David Hill 16-05-2014 09:46 PM

Growing Leeks

On 16/05/2014 21:19, Roger Tonkin wrote:
A while back, someone asked for advice about growing leeks.

I've just got to the transplant stage, so I'll pass on what I
do, while I remember.

I dig a narrow trench about2-3" deep to lant in (saves a bit of
earthing up later on). Use a dibber to make good deepish holes,
in which I usually put a bit of growmore or aomething. Pop the
leks in and water so that the water fills the hole and takes a
bit of soil in with it. I usually use a small watering can and
hold the plants upright whilst watering. Check next day if the
brids have pulled any out, if so firm in a bit.

Hope that helps

I wouldn't put any form of fertilizer into the planting hole as it could
easily scorch the roots.
I'd work the fertilizer into the soil a few days before planting.
Alternatively puddle them in with a dilute liquid fertilizer.
David @ a yet again hot side of Swansea Bay

Pete C[_2_] 16-05-2014 09:54 PM

Growing Leeks

OK, I've read here, elsewhere, books, magazines about laying leeks in a
shallow trench and just watering soil in around them. To me, it seems to
go against all normal planting out practice. No where have I seen a
reason given for this method. Anyone?

--
Pete C
adventure before dementure

Judith in England 16-05-2014 11:45 PM

Growing Leeks

On Fri, 16 May 2014 21:19:56 +0100, Roger Tonkin wrote:

A while back, someone asked for advice about growing leeks.

I've just got to the transplant stage, so I'll pass on what I
do, while I remember.

I dig a narrow trench about2-3" deep to lant in (saves a bit of
earthing up later on). Use a dibber to make good deepish holes,
in which I usually put a bit of growmore or aomething. Pop the
leks in and water so that the water fills the hole and takes a
bit of soil in with it. I usually use a small watering can and
hold the plants upright whilst watering. Check next day if the
brids have pulled any out, if so firm in a bit.

Hope that helps

Many thanks - I did raise a couple of questions earlier on.

I transplanted mine in to a raised bed last weekend: I am really surprised at
how slowly they have grown compared to everything else I have grown from seed.

I put one row in as I would normally transplant the contents of a plant-pot -
and gently firmed the soil around them.

Another row: I made a hole bigger than the plant-pot: removed contents of plant
pot and dropped in to hole and then filled the holes up with water.

I also was interested in the benefits of this method (as I have seen someone
else ask in thread) : I suspect that commercial ones may not be grown in that
fashion: so I also would like to now the perceived benefits if anyone knows.